594 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
designcise says

Can anyone recommend some good shared hosting plan which is affordable and provides unlimited bandwidth and disk space?

I’ve looked around a lot but can’t decide on anyone. I’m looking for something around $2 to $8 per month.

254 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
evaske says

For starters, there is no such thing as unlimited in the web hosting industry. Companies that offer this are merely using bad advertising to attract customers. Unmetered on the other hand is possible.

If you need some shared hosting, I’d be happy to give you some for free on my VPS that is currently empty apart from my two websites.

Let me know if you want it :)

552 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
OurWebMedia says

Can anyone recommend some good shared hosting plan which is affordable and provides unlimited bandwidth and disk space? I’ve looked around a lot but can’t decide on anyone. I’m looking for something around $2 to $8 per month.

Sent you an email via your profile page. I didn’t want to spam the boards with my own hosting company but I offer authors exclusive rates and hosting plans. If your interested, shoot me back an email once you’ve read it :) Best of luck!

594 posts
+5 more
designcise says

@evaske .. i know how the unlimited thing works and why it’s advertised so, and am fine with that, but not sure what unmetered means though, care to elaborate?

@outwebmedia .. thanks, replied ..

anyone else got any recommendations?

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

@evaske .. i know how the unlimited thing works and why it’s advertised so, and am fine with that, but not sure what unmetered means though, care to elaborate?

If it were truly unlimited hosting for $5-10/mo then why would companies like Facebook and Twitter spend hundreds of millions of dollars building datacenters when they could just get a cheap hosting account? An absurd example, I know, but it illustrates the point that there will be a point where they cut you off on an “unlimited” plan. I’ve been kicked off of a few hosts (Aplus, Lunarpages, threatened by Site5) for reaching an unpublished limit on unlimited plans.

Unmetered is just a synonym for unlimited, though usually it just applies to bandwidth, not disk space or CPU . They claim that they won’t cap your bandwidth, but there is still a loophole in the TOS that says that if you are a consistent high-bandwidth user, they can terminate you. They are usually forgiving if you use a lot of bandwidth in a single month, just don’t make a habit of it. Just like Vonage sells “unlimited calls” it is really capped at 5000 minutes per month, subject to a “fair usage agreement”. If you use 6000 minutes in one month because you’re looking for a job, that’s fine, but if you are running a call center in your house, you’ll get canned.

The bottom line is that if you are confident that your site will have reasonable traffic most of the time, but spike 1-2 times per year (like a football site that spikes during Superbowl, or a shopping site that spikes at Christmas), you can go with the cheap plan. If you have a site that will be high traffic all year, get a more robust plan. I should mention that the worst part about shared hosting is not what the host does to you, but what the other sites on the same server can do. If one site is a bad apple, it can slow the server down for everyone.

I use Rackspace Cloud for shared hosting, because it scales, and for more computation-heavy apps, a virtual server on Amazon with guaranteed resources.

594 posts
+5 more
designcise says

@fillerspace .. thanks for the info, was really helpful ..

i came across http://x10premium.com/buynow.php yesterday and it offers unmetered bandwidth and if you look at what they have to offer it sounds too good to be true; has anyone had an experience with them?

or should i play it safe with big names such as domain.com or mediatemple ?

548 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
tonvie says

“good shared hosting” is an oxymoron.

254 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
evaske says

There we go, it was answered for me.

I can highly recommend EvoHosting (www.evohosting.co.uk). They’ve been around for a number of years and I always recommend them to clients and friends who never have problems with them :)

1148 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

@fillerspace .. thanks for the info, was really helpful .. i came across http://x10premium.com/buynow.php yesterday and it offers unmetered bandwidth and if you look at what they have to offer it sounds too good to be true; has anyone had an experience with them?

Glad I could help. From my experience, you can find an amazing shared hosting company that is cheap and reliable for a while, but they always fail you eventually. It’s easy to see why. I could go out and lease a dedicated server for a few hundred dollars a month. So my costs are say $400/mo. I then get a few hundred customers to sign up by tempting them with claims of “UNLIMITED STORAGE , BANDWIDTH, AND DOMAINS !” 500 customers paying $5/mo, and I have revenue of $2500/mo and profit of $1900/mo. Even better, I’ll advertise $5/mo, but you only get that price when you sign up for yearly billing. 500 people signing up per month is $30,000/mo revenue. But instead of pumping that money back into buying more servers, I just keep squeezing more customers onto the same server, so performance gets worse month after month. That’s when I run a script that identifies the top 20% of customers by resource usage and email them all letters threatening to cancel them.

I pay $100/mo for my Rackspace account, and another $50 or so at Amazon, but they won’t cancel me because I have guaranteed resources. It is well worth the added peace of mind knowing that I have reputable companies running the show.

594 posts
+5 more
designcise says

lol @tonvie ..

@fillerspace .. you seem to have done quite some research on this; the problem is, i don’t want to spend a lot of money on hosting right now and want some good value for money i spend. my requirements right now are to get a portfolio website running with a list of my projects, hosting themeforest/codecanyon previews and a blog. not sure what a good bandwidth for this would be, but i would prefer ‘unmetered’ bandwidth as you and evaske explained. disk space initially might be good anywhere around the 10 – 50 gb + mark (to have a peace of mind). for this, would you consider places like domain.com ? or go with lesser popular / cheaper alternatives?

by
by
by
by
by
by