44 posts Stay hungry, stay foolish
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
pixelthrone says

Hi guys, I watched this video and liked the functionality, I liked more knowing than the envato is aware about this problem, that so many times was spoken here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7Oy4ojSwyE

But my question is:
— When sharing the love ALSO on Themeforest?
311 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
themeflame says

Because there already is.

If you’re speaking about a “similiarty between items” algo, then, no idea if Envato ever implemented this, they could’ve, but once again, I wouldn’t like to see any products that are not mine on my theme’s page as “related products”. It’s just bad for me. (the seller).

Buy an item and you’ll see some “related products”. Not really, they’re just top sellers. Also, this really is bad, because if you were to buy an item from me, I wouldn’t want you to go take a look at the competition and perhaps make a buy from them, not from me.

Never used studio, but I’m not sure if envato has written an image similarity algo, that’s pretty big in itself. I’m pretty sure they’re just taking some keywords, colors or other data to match them up. I can’t really know – it’s just how everyone does it. So, I imagine it’d be harder to port it to themeforest (since items here are a lot bigger.) and to make it work with a high relevancy, altough, they have more data to look at in a theme :D

Speaking without data is easy – but I’d say that, from my point of view (the seller), this is ultra-bad. From the money point of view (Envato), not so much. But once again, this is just an opinion, maybe Envato could shed some light upon this?

4739 posts Interactive Design
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

This is the problem with Envato- they’ll realise areas for improvement – but only implement it on the next marketplace start up. I think the biggest thing they don’t want to do is to make a change that disturbs sales trends too drastically – which is why TF hasn’t had any major changes since it started.

But the biggest area where more “sharing the love” could be implemented is on the purchase download confirmation page… when ever I buy an image on PhotoDune it always shows the same adverts of top selling WordPress themes which can be completely unrelated to the item purchased…. so this basically only does two things 1) Drive more traffic to TF, and drive more sales to the top items on TF.

I think Envato should remove cross marketplace promoting, and show adverts that 1) Show more items from the author you purchased from 2) Show similar items from other authors 3) Show new items recently approved that are similar, and lastly show top selling items from the SAME marketplace you purchase from.. this way things will be more relevant.

2064 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

This is the problem with Envato- they’ll realise areas for improvement – but only implement it on the next marketplace start up. I think the biggest thing they don’t want to do is to make a change that disturbs sales trends too drastically – which is why TF hasn’t had any major changes since it started.

But the biggest area where more “sharing the love” could be implemented is on the purchase download confirmation page… when ever I buy an image on PhotoDune it always shows the same adverts of top selling WordPress themes which can be completely unrelated to the item purchased…. so this basically only does two things 1) Drive more traffic to TF, and drive more sales to the top items on TF.

I think Envato should remove cross marketplace promoting, and show adverts that 1) Show more items from the author you purchased from 2) Show similar items from other authors 3) Show new items recently approved that are similar, and lastly show top selling items from the SAME marketplace you purchase from.. this way things will be more relevant.

You make an excellent point, but I think the cross-marketplace advertising could work if it was less biased.

Let’s take for instance I am buying food images – it’s going to show me a few restaurant / food based items from ThemeForest & CodeCanyon (I’m sure something at codecanyon exists having to do with management of a restaurant or food or something) and now there’s a chance I will actually buy one of these because it fits my or my client’s needs.

Or if I am buying images of people in suits doing business things – show me corporate themes from ThemeForest and business (analytics I guess?) plugins from CodeCanyon.

But I do agree with you, it’s kind of unfortunate when I look at top authors and they’re not really producing anything anymore, because they got to the top and now they have no reason to put out anything else – their sales don’t go down

4739 posts Interactive Design
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+8 more
digitalscience says

But I do agree with you, it’s kind of unfortunate when I look at top authors and they’re not really producing anything anymore, because they got to the top and now they have no reason to put out anything else – their sales don’t go down

Exactly – this is why top authors can afford to have one theme.. or release a new theme every couple years because once you have the top sales, the whole Envato marketplace is promoting your item. This is why the number #1 items get 3 times more sales than files in the top 10.

by
by
by
by
by
by