I purchased an HP Envy 14 Beats Edition some well 6-7 months ago. I am very much satisfied by it to this date. But recently, I have been needing a Mac for some iPhone apps development.
So, I just decided to replace my Envy with a Macbook Pro. And I have a few questions.
1) Is it a good time to a buy a Macbook Pro? I mean, is not the next line of Macbooks expected to release too soon?
2) I am most-likely going to purchase MD318LL /A. On the Apple website, the max. supported RAM is mentioned to be 8GB. I mean, seriously? I upgraded my Envy’s RAM to 12GB and was planning to hit boundaries by upgrading that to 16GB. I know, that one might not need all this RAM but it doesn’t feel good to be limited to only 8GB. I’ve seen most of the designers and developers these days on Macbooks. Are they all limited to 8GB? This doesn’t sound something that I would accept.
- Kamil Waheed
- Has been a member for 5-6 years
- Author was Featured
- Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
- Community Moderator
- Microlancer Beta Tester
- Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
- Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
- Exclusive Author
1) It’s ‘approaching the end of cycle’, MacRumors recommends to only buy if you need it. Fat chance they’ll be updated late this time, though, with the Mountain Lion release this summer. ‘This summer’ probably means August, as it usually has for Apple. Could be as early as June though. If you can wait, then you’ll probably have to wait for a few months – don’t pin me down on it, though. With Apple, you never know.
The speculation about the new build is quite extensive, some mentioning retina displays (as we’ve seen on the new iPad), based on hints in the Mountain Lion dev release.
2) This is something I’m unsure about, but 8GB does seem like plenty to me. I can imagine you’d need more when you would do some heavy video editing.. perhaps I’m not enough of a designer to make this call.
I don’t think there will be massive change and you won’t miss out too much… they’re already quad core so it won’t be a massive update I think…
Yeah, I figured that. Plus, I looked it a bit more and the new ones can actually be upgraded to upto 16GB of RAM . So, yeah, I think I am gonna go ahead with one.
Thanks for your replies!
WAIT ! New line is coming out this year, with quite a few changes.
- New i7 processor with Ivy Bridge: speeds up to 3.7 GHz
- Intel HD 4000 Graphics
- Slimmer. Going towards the Air line, but not as slim
- Better display. Rumor of Retina screens.
- No CD drive. I can’t remember the last time I used that thing.
If you’re getting the 17”, you can probably get one now though, since they’re probably gonna get rid of them.
Macrumors? sounds working.
They are expected to present the new Macbooks at the WWDC keynote, starting in 9 days.
Yeah. Thank God I held off to buying the Macbook. Gonna buy the new one the minute it comes out.