• Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
BrianCoyDesign says

This morning I find that two images I submitted where both rejected and I was pointed to the guidelines.

I’ve submitted several other character based drawings for sale on the site and in the same formats and file structure and have never been rejected.

I’d like to see what other designers think of the items as I know that I’m bias to my own work.

Cuahog

CandyCorn

1236 posts
  • Community Moderator
  • Won a Competition
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
HarveyDesign Volunteer moderator says

Moved to Item Discussion.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

I wouldn’t have approved them if I were a reviewer.

The first looks like a doodle, a scribble that is a really odd concept and the rendering is varied and inconsistent. The line weight and style is conflicting and all mixed up. The colours are also not very pleasing.

The second is also odd, from a conceptual point of view. The colours are ok, but placed on the muddy background it is strange. The design is very simple and I really don’t understand what purpose a buyer could have for this.

These are my honest thoughts, I hope they are helpful.

12 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
AetherLev says

I’ll second MotionReactor’s opinion there. The first one does look a lot like a doodle, and I’d have a hard time working out what a buyer would use it for.

I like the second, but, again, the design may be too simple. I disagree about the colours, though – it’s a Halloween thing, right? The dark orange and black in the background is fine.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

I didn’t make the cultural connection, as Halloween or rather ‘candy corn’ is not that well known where I live. The colours for me are fine on the foreground shapes, it’s the background orange to black that is a muddy blend IMO .

308 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
BrianCoyDesign says

Thanks for the feedback. The first image was actually something I created a long time ago for someone and the feedback seems pretty on the mark there.

The background seems to be the distractor on the second image which isn’t part of the final file.

I have to honestly say I wasn’t sure about either item as I know there is a general desire by many to have illustrations removed from the site and figured I’d get some harsh feedback from at least one of those users. I do appriciate the feedback.

Back to the drawing board.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

I think we should have more illustrations, not less. They may sell less frequently, but they are really useful when you buy them for a specific project.

308 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
BrianCoyDesign says

Thanks Motion… The one thing I’m never sure of is what types of character illustration are users looking for. What do the buyers want the character to be doing… that sort of thing.

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
Motionreactor says

I think probably the best thing to do is some competitor research. I would turn to ‘that popular stock photo website’ to see what sells most and try to identify trends.

3085 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
Raincutter says
I think we should have more illustrations, not less. They may sell less frequently, but they are really useful when you buy them for a specific project.

Honestly, I too believe that illustrations should be more on the site. And I don’t know anything about their sales, but just that they inspire me. It’s such a beautiful style of art. It’s an essential part of GR.

by
by
by
by
by
by