426 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

Im currently looking into an issue on a site built with a theme from here and my god its a mess!

The code is far from standardized, and more crucially the shortcode system in place makes the wp content area almost unusable – its just a nightmare and cant see how any one could consider this user freindly

54 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
Svipic says
simply ignore my items when you are deciding to purchase an item here

You are talking about page builder. I am not talking about it. I have no prob with page builders as long as it is separate from theme as a plugin and i am not forced to use it at all.

I can agree with you and as you can read in my previous reply i explain that shortcode is not a BAD THING as itself when it used in a right way but not for building full page layout.

Thats what i am talking about. i have no problem to purchase and use your themes as long as i am not forced to use this Shortcodes (without builder) for getting the layout that was introduced in a DEMO.

Thats what i am talking about. I can understand in using shortcodes for some kind of buttons and interface ellements in the content itself, thats OK, but user have a choice to not using them.

The problem i introduced here was that FULL theme was builded under Shortcode limitation. All layouts that was introduced in a Demo of the product was actually not a Page Template but full of bunch of shortcodes in tinymce editor.

Thats a problem and not in using a Shortcode for specific situvations.

Page Layout Must Not Be Built With Shortcode.

Thats the point

294 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
crossroad says

You are talking about page builder. I am not talking about it. I have no prob with page builders as long as it is separate from theme as a plugin and i am not forced to use it at all.

If you are talking about shortcodes, you should talk about page builders too, as they are just alternatives to do exactly same things.

Did you know some page builders use the post meta data while many of them use the shortcodes at backend? Only difference is that you do not need to type shortcodes in the editor by yourself. There are some advanced visual shortcode plugins available which let you select the sections visually and that’s what imangm was talking about.

Thats what i am talking about. i have no problem to purchase and use your themes as long as i am not forced to use this Shortcodes (without builder) for getting the layout that was introduced in a DEMO.

Do you know that themes using the page builders force you to build the page layout using the page builder as well? Because you just want to use the sections and their order of your choice.

The problem i introduced here was that FULL theme was builded under Shortcode limitation.

Do you know shortcodes are generally more flexible than the page builders? For example, if a shortcode allows you to add a slider (or any section) in the page, you can simply use it anywhere in between your content. The page builders do not allow such thing. If you want to create a page layout using the builder, you can only use the builder modules on that page, it won’t let you add just 1 or two sections in between your standard post content.

All layouts that was introduced in a Demo of the product was actually not a Page Template but full of bunch of shortcodes in tinymce editor.

Again that’s what the page builders do. If a theme is built with the shortcodes, it includes the sample layout.

Page Layout Must Not Be Built With Shortcode. Thats the point

Should they be built with the page builders then? That’s the question.

1210 posts The Last Man Standing
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+7 more
ImanGM says

OK, I guess that we are all saying one thing. We don’t want a theme that puts all of its content which is full of shortcodes in WordPress editor.

So, I don’t like it too ;)

@crossroad: I think @Svipic don’t have issues with shortcodes itself. What Svipic is saying is that as a user, she/he doesn’t want to create all the content of his/her page and posts in shortcodes. If shortcode is generated by pagebuilder, then it’s OK.

1245 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

IS THIS IMAGE LOOKING GOOD? TELL ME? DOES IT?

I’m not taking part in this thread, but just a heads up, typing in all capitals and writing in what can be interperated as an angry/threatening manner will get your thread locked.

Keep the conversation professional and constructive at all times.

54 posts
+1 more
Svipic says

IS THIS IMAGE LOOKING GOOD? TELL ME? DOES IT?

I’m not taking part in this thread, but just a heads up, typing in all capitals and writing in what can be interperated as an angry/threatening manner will get your thread locked.

Keep the conversation professional and constructive at all times.

Agree Sorry about it from everyone !

666 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

From the author perspective: without shortcodes it’s impossible to implement complex layouts. All themes will be simple blog templates. Like it or not, but if you (as a buyer) want multifunctional themes – you’ll have to live with shortcodes.

54 posts
+1 more
Svipic says

From the author perspective: without shortcodes it’s impossible to implement complex layouts. All themes will be simple blog templates. Like it or not, but if you (as a buyer) want multifunctional themes – you’ll have to live with shortcodes.

Why not using page templates? I really can’t see what is so complex in it. This multifunctional themes at the end of the day is not so functional at all

982 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+6 more
greenline says

.... But if you want beautiful elements inside your theme (as you can see them in most multi-purpose or business themes) you should use shortcodes. ...

This is the heart of all problems.

Themes should not incorporate elements (contact forms, maps, sliders, etc) like they do nowadays. It’s not the purpose for which they were “invented”.

The role of a theme should be only to customize the look, while adding extra-functionality (using shortcodes or whatever) to WordPress core should be left to the plugins.

10 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
wpshards says

Why not using page templates? I really can’t see what is so complex in it. This multifunctional themes at the end of the day is not so functional at all

When you get to develop using page templates, you realize how limited they are. For instance, take a look at Dream Theme’s The7. You simply don’t create the kind of homepage layouts The7 has without having granular control over each element in the page. Also, bear in mind that these demo pages are intended to be customized, so you definitely cannot use a template that fixes everything into place. If you created a page template with all sorts of stuff in it, the very first buyer would probably ask how to customize each element.

Things have moved from having themes be only about design, to having them include a complete website solution. Not that I’m fond of it, but that’s the way it is. Most high-end themes nowadays even include multiple premade pages just for the sake of the user modifying them and setting up their website in less time.

by
by
by
by
by
by