493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

From the author perspective: without shortcodes it’s impossible to implement complex layouts. All themes will be simple blog templates. Like it or not, but if you (as a buyer) want multifunctional themes – you’ll have to live with shortcodes.
No,

Page builder and shortcodes are different. Visual Composer is not a truly page builder. It’s tool use shortcodes.

My page builder and I think there are some page builders will not use shortcodes. All layouts , widget data will be save to post meta and when loading frontend , it will get post meta and display the correct layout with widgets.

Also my page builder will not save anything to post content (the shortcode saved directly to post content ). It mean it will display custom layout + widgets if editor used page builder. If the theme was deactivated, it will display post content.

That’s the way my page builder will not make the page content being clutter when use theme or not.

The point is : there are some authors think page builder built by shortcodes. Because they think visual composer is standard . However the page builder could be build without shortcode and post content. Visual composer is not standard,it’s nightmare and bad product for who can build a simple page builder.

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
klasikthemes says

The wordpress standard is widgetized, better to use widgets than shortcodes.

Most sites are use different layout only in front page, so we can provide complex widget position for layout on front page. Or we can provide page template with complex widget position.

But if we really need page builder we use page builder from http://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/ , this page builder is not built by shortcodes. With this page builder, you can put the widget in any position on a page to create complex layout. We think this is still the best page builder that keep wordpress standard in mind.

Shortcodes included in a theme is bad, imagine if you use a theme and have 10000 post that use the shortcodes then later you need to change theme, you should change all the shortcodes in 10000 posts with the new theme shortcodes.

For standard shortcodes, please try http://wordpress.org/plugins/shortcodes-ultimate/ , with this shortcodes collection we don’t need to make our own shortcodes plugin. The most standard shortcodes already in there.

For complex functionality like to display portfolio page, etc. is still better to use page template or widget rather than shortcodes.

725 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+5 more
Dream-Theme says

From the author perspective: without shortcodes it’s impossible to implement complex layouts. All themes will be simple blog templates. Like it or not, but if you (as a buyer) want multifunctional themes – you’ll have to live with shortcodes.
No,

Page builder and shortcodes are different. Visual Composer is not a truly page builder. It’s tool use shortcodes.

My page builder and I think there are some page builders will not use shortcodes. All layouts , widget data will be save to post meta and when loading frontend , it will get post meta and display the correct layout with widgets.

Also my page builder will not save anything to post content (the shortcode saved directly to post content ). It mean it will display custom layout + widgets if editor used page builder. If the theme was deactivated, it will display post content.

That’s the way my page builder will not make the page content being clutter when use theme or not.

The point is : there are some authors think page builder built by shortcodes. Because they think visual composer is standard . However the page builder could be build without shortcode and post content. Visual composer is not standard,it’s nightmare and bad product for who can build a simple page builder.

I have to disagree. [As far as I reckon] You are saving page structure in some proprietary format. Be it .XML or any other thing all you do is safe same stuff with different code. While shortcodes are native to WordPress. From this perspective they are much more save and reliable.

And, sorry, but you have no moral right to say:

Visual composer is not standard, it’s [and so on]

Moreover saying such things about your/our fellow authors work is inappropriate and prohibited by this forums rules. Please consider removing this bit of your post. Thanks!

493 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
wopethemes says

The wordpress standard is widgetized, better to use widgets than shortcodes.

Most sites are use different layout only in front page, so we can provide complex widget position for layout on front page. Or we can provide page template with complex widget position.

But if we really need page builder we use page builder from http://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/ , this page builder is not built by shortcodes. With this page builder, you can put the widget in any position on a page to create complex layout. We think this is still the best page builder that keep wordpress standard in mind.

Shortcodes included in a theme is bad, imagine if you use a theme and have 10000 post that use the shortcodes then later you need to change theme, you should change all the shortcodes in 10000 posts with the new theme shortcodes.

For standard shortcodes, please try http://wordpress.org/plugins/shortcodes-ultimate/ , with this shortcodes collection we don’t need to make our own shortcodes plugin. The most standard shortcodes already in there.

For complex functionality like to display portfolio page, etc. is still better to use page template or widget rather than shortcodes.

Total Agree!

I have to disagree. [As far as I reckon] You are saving page structure in some proprietary format. Be it .XML or any other thing all you do is safe same stuff with different code. While shortcodes are native to WordPress. From this perspective they are much more save and reliable.

I saved to post meta. Post meta is more save and reliable than shortcodes!

Moreover saying such things about your/our fellow authors work is inappropriate and prohibited by this forums rules. Please consider removing this bit of your post. Thanks!

Thanks! Sorry about that. I’m finding the edit button. LOL

493 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Page templates / custom metaboxes are enough to handle fixed/simple layouts but anything more complex/flexible would require either shortcodes or a page builder.

About meta vs shortcode as builder storage, the sc parser can’t handle nested macros (same name).

261 posts WordPress Theme Devoloper
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
kayapati says

Couldn’t Have Said It Better. Looking forward to your themes in my next projects!

The funny is there are alot of great sale items (>1k , >5k LOL) just use shortcodes for layout , for widgets for everything in a custom page , home page.

As a coder , I’m still feel hard to edit shortcodes to create a full pages. How other buyers without no coding-skills can edit them?

In my all themes , we never let buyer use shortcode to build complex things. The shortcodes are very limited and very simple just like a button or a social icons. All widgets,layout need to be built via page builder which very easy and everyone can do it.

However themeforest only encourage better design , not better functions. Because the better design will give better sale. But when buyer are using a poor functions , all shortcodes theme, they will cry alone =))

I think TF should thinking more about the functions , please take care more user experience than the design.
Seriously? Tell me more how the page builders are better than the shortcodes? Most of them create MUCH more mess especially in the database. Take one of the very best selling composer plugin, create a page using the builder and then see the meta data for that post.

I think its simple and lightweight page builder I like it:

http://wordpress.org/plugins/siteorigin-panels/
158 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

Seriously? Tell me more how the page builders are better than the shortcodes? Most of them create MUCH more mess especially in the database. Take one of the very best selling composer plugin, create a page using the builder and then see the meta data for that post.

I agree with you on the point that most page builders create much more of a mess. That’s just poor coding practice and lack of understanding how WordPress works. It is entirely possible to create a layout builder without shortcodes or metadata.

296 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
crossroad says

I agree with you on the point that most page builders create much more of a mess. That’s just poor coding practice and lack of understanding how WordPress works. It is entirely possible to create a layout builder without shortcodes or metadata.

Thanks. I’m very glad to read your comments on this.

2002 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

It is entirely possible to create a layout builder without shortcodes or metadata.
could you elaborate more ?
158 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

It is entirely possible to create a layout builder without shortcodes or metadata.
could you elaborate more ?

Sure. Essentially, the idea is to tie all the data back into $post->post_content without resorting to shortcodes. What you’d want to do is build out the meta boxes but save the data as post content so that the content itself is still available to the user after switching themes. What they’ll lose is the “design”. This is not exactly easily done (what layout editor is easy to code?), but it’s very possible. You might even consider working with $post->post_content_filtered.

I don’t think I’m allowed to link to other theme sites here, but you should check out The Theme Foundry’s latest theme. I’m not sure of the exact method they used, but I know they took a similar approach. The user’s content isn’t tied to theme metadata or shortcodes according to the devs on that project.

by
by
by
by
by
by