• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

I’m not looking for viewers/uniques/comments or anything but I don’t think double-posting is good for anyone so read here http://turcuciprian.com/2013/08/why-i-avoid-shortcodes/ and respond here :)

451 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

Have read it, but don’t understand what did you wanted to say with that. So please explain (without sarcasm and irony:))

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

Have read it, but don’t understand what did you wanted to say with that. So please explain (without sarcasm and irony:))

Hehe, ok,here’s a short version:

Do we really need Shortcodes? Are we using the correct approach for this or are we using the popular approach that our clients are requesting because, well…. it’s popular(and because we as developers offered this as a easy option (for us) to do things). Wordpress is much more vaster and more flexible than simple filtered shortcodes.

451 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

Ok, then I understand your blog post correctly:) But what I don’t get is what should be the solution for creating advanced layouts? I see only two ways: Shortcodes or Page Builders. Right now I prefer shortcodes with custom Shortcode generator (something like Zilla Shortcodes). Maybe I will try to add some 3rd party PB in some future theme, but I just don’t see any other user friendly solution.

The thing is, that (as many Elite authors mentioned in famous new WP Theme Submission Requirements thread) users don’t have problem with using shortcodes at all. Only problem is when moving to another theme, but adding your shortcodes as plugin can fix this. So I don’t really get this war against SC.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

Users may not have a problem with it, but that’s the best most popular solution they’ve been offered. So I guess when you don’t have a lot of choice you accept it and like it. But that’s not exactly the best experience you can offer, maybe you can add something a little more easy To achieve exactly what the short code does so for example instead of adding a text to your content maybe you just click a button and You achieve the exact same thing with a much better user experience for the user.

And by the way page builders use short codes as their core way of working. I mean really? is that’s really the best way to store how each each page is built? with short codes? Try custom fields at least and add the chunk oc code to the content after it, don’t force me to add a text-code to my content. It looks bad, I can make a ton of mistakes and it’s 2013, I know it’s the easiest possible way for me as a developer to code, but come on!

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

And by the way page builders use short codes as their core way of working.
That’s not true in general, ours don’t and i’m pretty we’re not the only ones using metas to save builder data.
451 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says

So I am assuming that your next TF item will be a WP theme with revolutionary take on creating a custom layout?:)

I do agree that an evolution is needed, I am definitely for a progress. Using custom fields may not be a bad idea.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

So I am assuming that your next TF item will be a WP theme with revolutionary take on creating a custom layout?:)

I do agree that an evolution is needed, I am definitely for a progress. Using custom fields may not be a bad idea.

Evolution is always needed, and yes, I will try to find an obviously better approach to the short code “need” in my next WP theme.
187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

And by the way page builders use short codes as their core way of working.
That’s not true in general, ours don’t and i’m pretty we’re not the only ones using metas to save builder data.

All the popular ones I’ve seen do, if you insist I will use examples. +1 for having a different approach on your page builder then ;)

187 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Romania
DanThemes says
I’ve read your article and still can’t understand why you would think that having to writing n lines of code, as a buyer, with no php knowledge, is better and less confusing than using something like this: [gallery]
by
by
by
by
by
by