• Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
SamBerson says

Hi there.

I recently published an HTML theme on a different account, and I had a few sales.

However, I saw the theme being used on a lot more websites than people had bought.

I also saw it on nulled theme sites.

Should I be extremely flattered that someone liked my theme so much they were willing to break the law to get it, or should I be upset and annoyed that they have stolen my hard work and are using it for free?

Please let me know what you think.

Sam :)

86 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Serbia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
wp_workshop says

Similar story with me, i have few themes on a different account. I wasn’t upset or flattered, it’s a normal thing today. When multi million dollar companies can’t prevent p r c y (can’t use whole word here :) ), us, simple theme authors certainly can’t as well.

But we can fight it – just send a DMCA takedown request to those ‘file sharing’ websites. (search for freshkiller here, it was created by envato member).

Anyway i am just curious… how did you find the websites using your theme?

1730 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+5 more
SamBerson says

Similar story with me, i have few themes on a different account. I wasn’t upset or flattered, it’s a normal thing today. When multi million dollar companies can’t prevent p r c y (can’t use whole word here :) ), us, simple theme authors certainly can’t as well.

But we can fight it – just send a DMCA takedown request to those ‘file sharing’ websites. (search for freshkiller here, it was created by envato member).

Anyway i am just curious… how did you find the websites using your theme?

Well it’s funny you should ask that question! At the bottom of my theme, I had added a <!- -> tag, which had a long string of numbers, which I can search in an HTML search engine!

Then, unless the site owners removed the <!- -> tag, I would know where my site was the whole time. Clever, no?

You should try it – it’s so useful!

Sam :)

894 posts
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
infuse01 says

...When multi million dollar companies can’t prevent p r c y (can’t use whole word here :) )...

Everytime I’ve read that it make me think on Harry Potter and Lord V-o-l-d-e-m-o-r-t :D

by
by
by
by
by
by