57 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
kegler68 says

I do a lot of freelance work in my spare time as a second income, averaging two websites a month. I want to drop this soon and focus on developing themes once my skills improve in this field.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron, 2gb ram etc that’s nearly five years old but it still rocks and opens up Photoshop, notepad++ etc no probs. I’m sure this has been asked before but how many of you guys and gals do major design work on PC’s?

I like Macs and use them at my friends etc but have never designed or worked on one. Getting a new one soon but not sure yet as to a Mac or PC.

2566 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

Get a mac, you wont go back.

542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
ThemesFever says

From my point of view. If you’re going to web design, both Mac and PC will do the job since the main tools exist in both of them (Photoshop / Fireworks).

If you’re going to do both web development and web design, Mac would be probably the best option, since in terms of development/coding, Mac has great tools/apps (Coda, Espresso, etc…). While you’re going to be limited on Windows (I personally only like Notepad++).

360 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Beta Tester
+4 more
Philo01 Reviewer says
ThemeProvince said

+1 8-)

57 posts
kegler68 says
ThemeProvince said

They are beautiful machines, very tempting. But so is a Dell with an i7 processor and 8GB ram.

57 posts
kegler68 says
ThemesFever said
From my point of view. If you’re going to web design, both Mac and PC will do the job since the main tools exist in both of them (Photoshop / Fireworks). If you’re going to do both web development and web design, Mac would be probably the best option, since in terms of development/coding, Mac has great tools/apps (Coda, Espresso, etc…). While you’re going to be limited on Windows (I personally only like Notepad++).

This is the problem I have. I’m very comfortable with Notepad++ and have used it for a long time. I’ve messed about with Coda and it is slick, but is this a good enough reason to switch to a Mac when I can get so much more power and speed with a new Dell.

4 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
wpbandit says

Both are very capable for web development but I find more useful tools geard towards Mac. Especially if you start using tools such as Git to manage your code. Also, I would recommend looking into Sublime Text 2 as your text editor. It’s similar to Notepad++, runs on Mac, Windows, and Linux and has some really nice features.

One more thing – the resale value of a Mac is usually better when you want to upgrade.

2019 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
Philo01 said
ThemeProvince said
+1 8-)

+2 :D

193 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
themeva says

I changed my desktop PC and laptop for an iMac and MacBook Pro a couple of months back, trust me you’ll never look back.

Currently can’t be rivalled IMO . :)

57 posts
kegler68 says
NorthVantage said
I changed my desktop PC and laptop for an iMac and MacBook Pro a couple of months back, trust me you’ll never look back. Currently can’t be rivalled IMO . :)
I’m leaning in this direction. Your reply is very persuasive, thanks. :)
by
by
by
by
by
by