2529 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Hey, guys!

So I’ve been looking over the reports for the last hour or so, and I’d like to hear your thoughts on potentially lowering the price of extended licenses on ThemeForest. Keep in mind that, at this point, it’s purely hypothetical, but, that said, if you’re all in agreement, we can definitely look into pushing the change through.

Right now, I believe all items on TF are sold at a 50x premium for the extended license. That means that a $35 WordPress theme is $1750 for the extended license—pretty hefty!

My instinct is that, if we lower this number to around 10x, extended licensing sales will go way up, and you’ll make more money.

What do you think?

2570 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

I think we would make more money. But someone could then purchase 20 themes as a software package and sell them on as a bundle.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

I think it’s a great idea.

254 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
evaske says

Hey, guys!

So I’ve been looking over the reports for the last hour or so, and I’d like to hear your thoughts on potentially lowering the price of extended licenses on ThemeForest. Keep in mind that, at this point, it’s purely hypothetical, but, that said, if you’re all in agreement, we can definitely look into pushing the change through.

Right now, I believe all items on TF are sold at a 50x premium for the extended license. That means that a $35 WordPress theme is $1750 for the extended license—pretty hefty!

My instinct is that, if we lower this number to around 10x, extended licensing sales will go way up, and you’ll make more money.

What do you think?

+1 :)

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
wptitans says

Hey, guys!

What do you think?
+1 :)

+1 .. great idea

567 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
iamdok says

I think that before we talk about what price the extended licence should be, we need to talk about what is permitted by the extended licence and what is not.

There are two reasons for this. 1. So that buyers understand exactly when they neeed to buy an extended licence. 2. What they can then do with that licence.

Right now the text of the extended licence is a mess. Its contradictory, unclear and in my opinion unsatisfactory given the implications involved for our hard work. The licence text talks about not permitting resale rights, but then almost every subsequent clause refers to the many forms of resale permitted, which themselves are confusing to the point that anyone can do anything with a file bought on extended licence and say “it was implied in the licence terms to be ok”.

For example until very recently there was a clause (now quietly removed) in the extended licence t&c’s which referred to buying something on GraphicRiver using extended licence and then being permitted to incorporate it into an item on ActiveDen for sale. Because these t&c’s are trying to cover all item types on all marketplace (not wise) , it was then accepted to be ok for Envato Authors to buy sliders and other plugins on CC and incorporate them into their templates on TF for sale. The extended licence on CC for a slider is 5x, which is crazy low, not to mention then having a unique slider to sell as many times as you like on TF where a unique slider can make the difference between average and good sales.

This clause is now gone but I don’t believe that the behavior it generated is gone. For example recently myself and my partner created a slider for CodeCanyon in another account. We opted out of the extended licence for the reasons stated above. Our first page of comments was almost all from Envatos authors looking to purchase an extended licence! People weren’t interested in the general licence of $12 but would prefer to pay $60 and do what they liked with it.

Shortly afterwards, we were contact by a buyer who wanted to buy an extended licence “for his clients”. On further investigation it turned out that this buyer was buying top selling plugins from CC at 5x the price, making some small edits to them to make them compatible with an enterprise CMS and then selling them (complete with full original author’s description & images) on another marketplace. This is ridiculous, but funniest of all this can interpreted from the extended licence terms, to be permitted! To this buyer his small edits equaled incorporating it into this own work! When we pointed it out to him that this practivce was not permitted, his reply was that then he would only sell these items on his own site, because this would mean it was being sold to his clients only, which was permitted by the extended licence! This is only one example, I’m quite sure there are many more.

Bottom line, we don’t trust the extended licence. With this licence Envato is not doing enough to ensure our work is protected. I feel that the conversation about how much an extended licence should cost is premature, and would only make sense to talk about it if the fine lines between what is permitted by the extended licenced and what is not, is clarified beyond doubt.

I would suggest that many more examples are provided and that there are separate provisions for separate item types or marketplaces.

DOK

3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

+1 ^

1340 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
fuelthemes says

@iamdok +1

x10 is too low, maybe x20

492 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
+8 more
pixelentity says

If the extended licence’s terms were changed to allow unlimited multi-use but absolutely no resale of any kind, and the price changed to 10x for CodeCanyon jQuery plugins, (price range $5-$12) then we would opt in with our new slider. As it stands right now, there is not a chance of us opting in for the extended licence.

DOK

1870 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

I feel that the conversation about how much an extended licence should cost is premature, and would only make sense to talk about it if the fine lines between what is permitted by the extended licenced and what is not, is clarified beyond doubt. I would suggest that many more examples are provided and that there are separate provisions for separate item types or marketplaces.

Howgh.

by
by
by
by
by
by