33 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+1 more
grubforce says

Recently i’ve uploaded a psd theme called Discovery

Today a someone posted a comment on theme theme page suggesting it looked very similar to this site: http://www.imgspark.com

I’m currently coding this theme and i’m almost ready to uploading it to here. But I don’t want any infringement stuff that happened with one author last month.

A preview of the coded version here

Tell me what you guys think?

If you guys think there are to much similarities I will have to take this template down and do some redesigning :-(

2324 posts
    Has referred 100+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+6 more
CreativeMilk says

Today a someone posted a comment on theme theme page suggesting it looked very similar to this site: http://www.imgspark.com

I’m currently coding this theme and i’m almost ready to uploading it to here. But I don’t want any infringement stuff that happened with one author last month.

If you guys think there are to much similarities I will have to take this template down and do some redesigning :-(

It could be that one of your buyers have bought the psd and used it for imgspark, that could be the case.

33 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+1 more
grubforce says

It could be that one of your buyers have bought the psd and used it for imgspark, that could be the case.

No I think that site has been longer up then mine.

1869 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

It MAY look the same, but in fact its completely different! You cant count similar colors, extended footer and big navigation as a similarity worth copyright issues…

88 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Gyro says

imagespark definitely wasn’t built from the template, but that said, it is sufficiently different IMO . Admittedly that color scheme/layout is pretty damn unique out there, and if i were you I would change the logo (if someone really had a case to make the logo with small fonts and star symbol does seem pretty similar) but other than that I dont think there is enough similarity to call it a copy. And your middle part is pretty damn strong by itself ;) Good luck with sales, love that design!

33 posts
+1 more
grubforce says
imagespark definitely wasn’t built from the template, but that said, it is sufficiently different IMO . Admittedly that color scheme/layout is pretty damn unique out there, and if i were you I would change the logo (if someone really had a case to make the logo with small fonts and star symbol does seem pretty similar) but other than that I dont think there is enough similarity to call it a copy. And your middle part is pretty damn strong by itself ;) Good luck with sales, love that design!

Thanks for your comment. About the logo if think its very different even though its also a small font size and all caps.

I have some experience with ‘claiming’ logo myself, and you can’t ‘patent’ a font type. The logo of image spark is pure text without a symbol. Even the font type is very different to mini. (btw I used: Champagne & limosines which is a free font)

After that being said i’m still curious about what Envato thinks about this ;-)

960 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
jeffeatworld says

I don’t think they are similar at all apart from they are dark, share a similar nav bar and have a search bosx – what sites don’t have those lol.

I think if you are coding it up it’s pretty obvious you made it from scratch yourself.

34 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeTracktor says

It is a 3 colour scheme .. doesnt matter, the one element that is similar is that star on both sites :)

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

For me it is the same. Sorry .-

169 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CallMePaul says

I think there should definitely be a “pre aprroval” stage. When my previous theme got rejected I spent hours working on the help file and putting everything together just to learn I had to do it all over again. If I knew the design part was not going to be approved then I wouldn’t had spent those hours on the help file.

A “good to go” pre approval would give authors some kind of info regarding if they are in the right track or not.

P

by
by
by
by
by
by