• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Envato, instead of adding useless rules every single day WITHOUT ANYONE REQUESTING THEM, try to actually do something useful, in the past there were lots of suggestions, first thing being the comments section which is a pain in the *.. The search system sucks, copycats are added everyday without anyone actually checking it.

C’mon Envato, it’s not our job to be detectives and check all the themes everyday on each approval process.

Can’t you find something useful to do?

I like your ironic forum title. How… unfitting.

Look, I’m frustrated with this requirement, too. I hope it’s just a misunderstanding and this isn’t a new rule. And I absolutely think there needs to be better communication with authors before these new rules are put into effect. The great thing is that Envato is listening; and while they make mistakes from time to time, they are open to change and improving the way things are done.

But there’s really no need to be rude about it. Let’s discuss our concerns and frustrations respectfully and professionally rather than lashing out. I guarantee you that escalating the situation with insults and nastiness isn’t going to achieve a better resolution.

579 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

So? it IS required to include that plugin? Or that toolkit? Where can i read more info on this?

3118 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

Exactly, why is that required ? why authors have not been informed about it ?

We already have update capabilities in our themes using just the class-envato-protected-api.php, why we should be forced to use the toolkit ?

To just hook in the WordPress update system is way simpler and more reliable than using the toolkit and its custom Theme_Upgrader class. It just requires few lines and we even released a class that other authors are using in their own themes.

Envato should just release (or sponsor) a plugin using the very same hook method. There’s no need for a custom Theme_Upgrader class. The plugin will be able to update all themeforest themes installed by the buyer at the same time, regardless the author.

The api allows that, we already tested and it works.

BF

I was actually going to add your guys code into a plugin, much simpler method and I was going to wait until I had the ability to test it, as Im not a huge fan of blindly releasing public code.

3118 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

So first I want to apologize to the reviewers, I know you guys dont make up the rules directly though you enforce them.

Now I haven’t gotten a Official answer yet but my understanding it was a mistake.

So with all that being said and now that I have more sleep and am less frustrated where do we go from here?

There needs to be someone from the Envato Review staff that actually communicates with Authors not just on the forums and notes post but via twitter etc, who can ask personal questions to authors about upcoming changes. What happened to Jarel? Is he still running the review team? He use to be uber active on the forums although I understand he’s probably a bit busier now.

Ive seen these “misunderstandings” multiple times an honestly I dont know how they happen so often

423 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
pixel-industry says

I hope it’s just a misunderstanding and this isn’t a new rule.

As we stated before, this is a requirement, as our theme got rejected a day ago because of that.

439 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Pixelous says

Hi OrganicBeeMedia!

have you decided to sell WordPress themes at ThemeForest right? Good news! I can not wait to see your theme really.

Kind regards.

4594 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

Jarel is doing the work of six men right now, but I’m sure he misses being as active in the forums as he would like :)

And yes, I agree that we need way better communication when we make changes to the review process. I’ve already been speaking with a few people about the situation. Ideally I’d like to establish some sort of communication roll out procedure whenever we make changes that will affect our authors.

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

Jarel is doing the work of six men right now, but I’m sure he misses being as active in the forums as he would like :) And yes, I agree that we need way better communication when we make changes to the review process. I’ve already been speaking with a few people about the situation. Ideally I’d like to establish some sort of communication roll out procedure whenever we make changes that will affect our authors.

I didn’t see a direct confirmation there but it sure sounds like one. So is this a new requirement or not?

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
ChillThemes says

If possible a message box on the author_dashboard for authors would be nice but the devs have more important matters. :)

741 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Poland
Orbital_Themes says

Jarel is doing the work of six men right now, but I’m sure he misses being as active in the forums as he would like :) And yes, I agree that we need way better communication when we make changes to the review process. I’ve already been speaking with a few people about the situation. Ideally I’d like to establish some sort of communication roll out procedure whenever we make changes that will affect our authors.

That’s great, but what about the new requirement? Is it a real deal? If yes – why? What should be done to make our themes ready to work with the toolkit? Since the toolkit is a plugin it should work without us making changes to our themes, i.e. out of the box.

by
by
by
by
by
by