495 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

And yes, I agree that we need way better communication when we make changes to the review process.

Frankly speaking, If the team is too busy to communicate with us, then put the new rules on hold until you’ve got the time to properly announce them to authors.

Doing the opposite it’s just unprofessional and disrespectful towards our work.

BF

5561 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

I didn’t see a direct confirmation there but it sure sounds like one. So is this a new requirement or not?

Sorry I’m not confirming it’s a new requirement. I’m not part of the Review team so I wouldn’t know until they told me.

441 posts
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
Jaynesh says
http://notes.envato.com/general/envato-wordpress-toolkit/ Does anybody know which year that notes post was made?

It says APR 3, so it has be last year or the year before. I’m confused as to how this rule has been in force for over a year now but nobody knows about it.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

It’s rules like this that make me question being an Envato author. I’ll have to do a lot of thinking this weekend to decide if I want to continue producing WP themes here if I’m forced to include plugins I don’t want.

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

Envato, we need clarity regarding this. I had a theme that was soft-rejected yesterday and this was one of the reasons mentioned. You don’t think my developers will wait, do you?

1792 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

If this is really happening, we need to take action. Looks like Envato doesn’t care at all about its authors and, as I said in the other topic, they push any rule they wake up with, without asking anyone about it. We need to stay together, the authors, we’re the only ones that can avoid future situations like this.

Making us include plugins and things we don’t want IS NOT OK.

If you don’t have time to talk with the authors, then just postpone the damn updates, we’re wasting our time and money because you can’t do things properly.

5561 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

I’ll get some more details for everyone. The Melbourne office is closed for the weekend so it may need to wait until their work week begins again but I’ll get some clarity on the issue.

3072 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

I think there was a debate about this feature, some of the conclusions being that there will be problems implementing and/or using it. Authors not wanting to use it, buyers that don’t want it because they don’t want to reveal the source of the templates. Etc.

495 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
pixelentity says

Just a few technical consideration: if the toolkit is embedded in a theme, it cannot work on network installs. Also, it happened a few times that a request timeout due to slow response times of the envato api server wasn’t handled properly by the Envato_Protected_API class and the results was a fatal error.

Buyer experiencing the above would notice the error coming from a file included in the theme folder and assume it’s a theme bug (while it’s not).

By using an external plugin, both the issue would be solved (buyers would eventually blame the plugin itself).

There would be no reason to force authors to bundle it in their themes as it would be enough just to mention in docs “hey, if you want auto updates, feel free to use this thing but i have nothing to do with it.”

BF

522 posts Dream big
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+4 more
pixel-industry says

There would be no reason to force authors to bundle it in their themes as it would be enough just to mention in docs “hey, if you want auto updates, feel free to use this thing but i have nothing to do with it.”
It can be very simple: Envato should educate buyers that this plugins exists and it will be easier to update theme using it. Authors should upload separate Theme archive while uploading it to Themeforest (someone said that 25% of authors already is doing this).

One more technical consideration: If we include this class in theme and buyer activates plugin, there will be some fatal errors (accidentally discovered this).

by
by
by
by
by
by