3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Hi everyone,

Apologies for being a bit late to this thread. I’ve carefully caught up on the situation and everyone’s posts here.

Thanks for the Official response Jarel

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

Updates to submission requirements: While we certainly want to give advance notice regarding big submission requirements changes, best practices are always evolving and should always be followed. That means will will always need to continuously make small tweaks and updates to reviewing and submission requirements, of which a healthy portion won’t deserve big announcements. That said, I do believe we need a better channel to clearly communicate these things, which I have discussed and will continue discussing with the team.

Thanks for the response Jarel!

I definitely wouldn’t want a “big announcement” every time some obscure rule was updated, but a central location where this stuff is logged would be good for both reviewers and themers… for one, it’d mean we’re all playing by the same rules. The review staff could see what is currently required (which makes hiring and training new reviewers a bit easier – and we could avoid these misunderstandings), and us themers could readily see if there any new rules we should be mindful of before hitting the “submit” button, which in turn helps reviewers by saving you guys from slogging out rejection letters over and over again.

Will it solve all issues? No way. There’s no way one doc could do that – I simply meant for it to be a set of serious guidelines that you’d like to see all authors use before submitting themes. Once that guideline is setup, you can add new stuff that frequently pops up (ie: 10/19/2012 – We now require a comments.php file, 11/21/2012 – We no longer allow TimThumb, etc.)

Anyways, it sounds like you guys are on top of it! If we could get a semi-formal log up on the knowledgebase, that’d rock! I also understand that just adds a new hassle of managing it though, so if there’s a way that any of us themers might be able to help out, I’m sure we’re all willing to cooperate and help out (or at least I am)...

922 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
+13 more
MDNW says

I should also note that these are GOOD problems for us ThemeForest authors.

Standards change all the time – the fact that the review team is on top of implementing these standards means that we’re ultimately going to be held accountable to release better quality stuff. I guess I’m just saying that after years of seeing complaints about the lack of any standards on here, now we’re seeing complaints of the opposite nature – that’s cool!

19 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
byronyasgur says

+1 on the centralised location. That’s the nub of it for me.

I just spend nearly 2 hours reading through the last year’s worth of material from the forum about the toolkit. I ended up coming to this post last for some reason … random. :-(

I would also like to throw the idea of a checklist into the ring. So the way I would see it would be a document, or documents listing and/or explaining whatever requirements reviewers wished … and within ( preferably at the top of ) this there would be a checklist of the basics required for submission.

I’m sure reviewers have better things to be doing than rejecting items that dont meet minimum specs, and a checklist would surely stop a lot of this, and save time for staff and authors all round.

101 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+2 more
PixelBook says

I should also note that these are GOOD problems for us ThemeForest authors. Standards change all the time the fact that the review team is on top of implementing these standards means that we’re ultimately going to be held accountable to release better quality stuff. I guess I’m just saying that after years of seeing complaints about the lack of any standards on here, now we’re seeing complaints of the opposite nature – that’s cool!

i completely agree

63 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in United Kingdom
m1chelangel0 says

Wow…just read the entire thread and am exhausted, I need a nap after that. I am glad everything has been clarified/resolved :)

13 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
Themaniac says

If such a list of requirements ever arises that would be nice that the reviewer in addition to the standard rejection text also gave a point from the requrements not met. For example: Your theme has not passed point 5 and 12 of requirements list. That would save a lot of author’s time and frustration spent on guessing what is wrong with the theme.

by
by
by
by
by
by