26 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
joshharbaugh says

I’ve recently finished up a theme for ThemeForest, but was refected during the review process. A few of the reasons were functionality features that I left out, but one of the reasons were due to the site not having enough polish.

Can everyone take a look and let me know what I can do to improve the polish of this layout?

The Better Blogger theme

Thank you for your responses. It’s a big help.

171 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
clarklab says

Wow, maybe I’m missing something but I think this looks really great. It definitely beats some others that have been accepted. I’d email the reviewer and ask for some more specifics.

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
joshharbaugh says

I’ve actually already done that :)

Thanks for the boost!

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I’d say your menu is pretty plain and some of the elements could use some more solid separation to help readability. I can see what the reviewer was saying. Also your Theme Features link goes kinda crazy in firefox 3. Bounces up and down rapidly.

I’d say spice up your menu more and give it some better separation, zazz, etc. Then use background colors or something similar to separate the different sections instead of a bunch of hr lines.

Hope that helps, it still looks good, you have a great start. :-)

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
joshharbaugh says
I’d say your menu is pretty plain and some of the elements could use some more solid separation to help readability. I can see what the reviewer was saying. Also your Theme Features link goes kinda crazy in firefox 3. Bounces up and down rapidly.

I’d say spice up your menu more and give it some better separation, zazz, etc. Then use background colors or something similar to separate the different sections instead of a bunch of hr lines.

Hope that helps, it still looks good, you have a great start. :-)

Thanks for your comments. I was actually in the middle of fixing the Theme Features navigation item when you looked at it, so you were seeing it breaking. It’s not anymore.

It was an aesthetic preference to have lines instead of background colors to separate content so everything didn’t seem “closed in.”

I can imagine it’s hard to judge the aesthetics of a site for review. I would imagine as long as it functions then it’s up to the customers to determine if it’s good enough.

171 posts
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
clarklab says

I agree, using lines and simple aesthetics do wonders here. It isn’t a drawback that this design is so simple, its a strength. And yes I agree with you again, a theme really shouldn’t be judged on it’s specific aesthetics. If its overall hideous, yes, fine, reject it. But this one isn’t. Its just minimalist. Its its exceptionally clean.

I hope the reviewer will see this thread and sort this out.

322 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
shadow66142000 says

I would have to agree with Clark here. Look at some of the simple layouts people have created and have done really well with them. You don’t have to pull out all your guns when creating your design. My personal rule of thumb is if your questioning aesthetics step back with a simpler/clean approach rather than forward using more design. The one thing I notice though is there seems to be some confusion of where posts start and stop. I believe the line underneath “continue reading” is creating that confusion…just a few to many lines.

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
joshharbaugh says
The one thing I notice though is there seems to be some confusion of where posts start and stop. I believe the line underneath “continue reading” is creating that confusion…just a few to many lines.

I removed that line. Does it clear up that confusion for you?

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Let us know what your reviewer tells you.

26 posts
  • Exclusive Author
joshharbaugh says
Let us know what your reviewer tells you.

Will do. I imagine it’ll be awhile before they’ll get back to me. Probably pretty busy.

by
by
by
by
by
by