24 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
zzap says

Hello everyone,
first of all I’d like to apologise for bringing such a pain, as IE is, to your attention and for asking a question that might have been already answered on somewhere (I can’t seem to find it). For several days now I’m trying to find official statement regarding browser’s compatibility and IE8 . From everything I have read so far there’s an conclusion that IE8 and 9 are a must, but then I went through Site Templates category and found few items which state IE9 only.

There’s another thing at Common rejection factors:
Browser Testing
Have you tested your design in IE6 (optional), IE7 , IE8, Firefox, Safari, Chrome, and Opera? While we do allow for alternative displays for older browsers — think simplified layout for IE6 users — your design must not break in any of these. If they do, your item will be rejected, with a request from the reviewer to make the necessary updates.

So I would really appreciate if I could get official statement on whether IE8 is required or not, especially if template is mainly CSS3 based.

Thank you very much for your time and I wish you a wonderful day,
zzap

440 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Australia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
pixelnourish says

As far as I am aware, you only need to test for IE8 /9, but it mustn’t look horriffic in IE6 /7.

Someone feel free to over-rule me here though :)

2509 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

You only need to support IE8 & IE9 as Kate says.

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

IE8 is required, IE6 & 7 are not.

419 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Europe
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
readactor says
24 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
zzap says

Thanks everyone for replies,
that’s the same thing I undersytood from reading this forum. But how is then possibile to see items which support only IE9 among the others.

I’m not trying to point fingers, really, I would love that IE8 is not required. I would rather spend time optimizing template for mobile devices than trying to make it look the same in IE8 .

Thanks again everyone for your quick replies.

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Thanks everyone for replies,
that’s the same thing I undersytood from reading this forum. But how is then possibile to see items which support only IE9 among the others.

I’m not trying to point fingers, really, I would love that IE8 is not required. I would rather spend time optimizing template for mobile devices than trying to make it look the same in IE8 .

Thanks again everyone for your quick replies.

It doesn’t have to look identical in IE8 , but it does have to be functional. If you’re using CSS3 to progressively enhance your template, you shouldn’t have an issue. Just include logical fallbacks for browsers that don’t support CSS3 . :)

2211 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says

You should know, though, that it doesn’t really matter what you should or shouldn’t do. It’s about the success you want your product to have. And if you are aiming high, take care of IE6 as well. Good code won’t break, unless you are using advanced techniques that, of course, can be ignored in IE6 ;)

1475 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
+1 more
PixelBin says

You should know, though, that it doesn’t really matter what you should or shouldn’t do. It’s about the success you want your product to have. And if you are aiming high, take care of IE6 as well. Good code won’t break, unless you are using advanced techniques that, of course, can be ignored in IE6 ;)

Please oh please don’t support IE6 . Too many people have that mentality that if they support IE6 , you’ll get 500% more sales. You won’t. What you will get is massive headaches, bitter taste for coding, and maybe one or two sour buyers that still use IE5 .5 at home because everything is spoon fed to them and garbage like IE6 is still supported just for these people.

And before you say it, only about 0.01% of the themes here would even be considered by a “corporate” company that still for some unknown reason uses IE6 .

Please utilize modern techniques and say thank you to those that are using tools that make it easier for us developers, not those who are too lazy or ignorant to update their god damn Internet Explorer. Thank you, that is all.

2211 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says

Please oh please don’t support IE6 . Too many people have that mentality that if they support IE6 , you’ll get 500% more sales. You won’t. What you will get is massive headaches, bitter taste for coding, and maybe one or two sour buyers that still use IE5 .5 at home because everything is spoon fed to them and garbage like IE6 is still supported just for these people.

And before you say it, only about 0.01% of the themes here would even be considered by a “corporate” company that still for some unknown reason uses IE6 .

Please utilize modern techniques and say thank you to those that are using tools that make it easier for us developers, not those who are too lazy or ignorant to update their god damn Internet Explorer. Thank you, that is all.

I think I didn’t explain myself thoroughly. I am completely against IE6 , and IE in general to be honest. I was just pointing-out that what really matters are the clients’ needs and not what Envato dictates.

by
by
by
by
by
by