3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Alaister says

Hi guys,

I have previously used this site to purchase wordpress templates and I know exactly how to install wordpress, activate the templates and customize them.

I was wondering what do you do with site templates. How do they work?

Any help would be great.

Thanks

12 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
richcoy says

Site Templates are like the skeleton of a site that a designer can use to get a jump start on a project. They require knowledge of HTML , CSS & sometimes JavaScript to edit. Templates have cut my development time in half on past projects. Hope that helps. :)

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Alaister says

I have knowledge of HTML but this probably isn’t enough to customize a site template is it.

I know how to use wordpress templates and customize them but I would imagine this would be a lot different.

There would be no CMS right? I’m guessing you upload the template directly to your host after customization instead of customizing in a platform like wordpress.

146 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
chilly_orange says

Site Templates are indeed not build on top of any CMS .

Themeforest is pretty strict about the documentation which template authors need to include with their template; this makes it relatively simple for buyers with basic HTML /CSS knowledge to use the template to build the site of their likings.

Also, many of the HTML /CSS templates sold here are pretty much complete functional sites (many of them mention how many coded pages are included in the theme).

12 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
richcoy says

Generally you’re right. A Site Template could be used inside a CMS with a lot of work at ripping it into pieces. The templates here are well written and documented. If you think you’re interested in the topic I’d suggest finding one you like, buying it and going through the code. If you can customize a Wordpress template you’ll probably understand most of what you’re looking at in a Site Template. CSS is heavily used so you might need to read up on that. Good luck.

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Alaister says

oh ok i see.

I was looking at some of the hosting website site templates.

How does that work in terms of integrating the payment etc with the hosting theme?

This seems quite complicated? Am I venturing to deep right now?

by
by
by
by
by
by