343 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says

Just out of interest, even though there is no limit set, but is there a reasonable ‘max size’ for files?

Curious as I am currently working on a PSD which is clocking in at 88.5mb and paging a lovely 1.3gb of ram to modify. Zipping it up I can get all the files down to 38mb together but should this be a concern for the user on the other side or is it their responsibility to ensure they have the power to use such files?

What max sizes have you wondered up to? Would you be irritated trying to open a massive file or feel happy that you are ‘getting a lotta of data for yer money’?

125 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
bgm Envato team says

I’d just mention the size. Thats what I did with my camera file (which is only a measly 6mb in comparison). You cant be responsible for everything :)

2201 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Servers can handle up to 500mb I believe (per upload). I recently reviewed a 335 mb file.

There’s a trick to getting psd size down, just hide all the layers before saving. It saves…A LOT of space. Do mention this in the description in order to avoid confusion towards the buyer.

343 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
JackHowell says
Servers can handle up to 500mb I believe (per upload). I recently reviewed a 335 mb file. There’s a trick to getting psd size down, just hide all the layers before saving. It saves…A LOT of space. Do mention this in the description in order to avoid confusion towards the buyer.

Just sat here waiting for it to upload now – it is only 38mb in the zip which is nice as the folder itself is over 100mb. I have also mentioned it at the bottom of the description as I think it is a handy thing to know.

My connection is not too bad so it should upload fine too.

I did not know about hiding layers ‘trick’ though! Does that really lower the file size? I thought it wouldn’t make any difference as the PSD still contains the same information… maybe it is something to do with the ‘preview’ data it holds?

2201 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
ArikB says

I didn’t know anything about it as well until SOSfactory uploaded their mascot files. It’s explained here

What I think happens is that the program doesn’t have to draw all that stuff when you open the file. That somehow saves space.

204 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
parajuli says

Worked for me, Decreased a 4MB file to 3MB, (4-3)/4*100% -> 25% Decrease (Not Bad).

81 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
petshopbox says

Thanks Arik, for the tip. I have a lot of heavy PSD illustrations.

by
by
by
by
by
by