38 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
TLaude says

When slicing a PSD , how do you guys determine what elements of the PSD get sliced?

I’m new to the web design stuff, and am having a big problem trying to slice PSD ’s and make them useful when I’m learning.

1 post
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
coolioblog says

Try and think of what you really need as images, Let’s say you have a Logo, do you need a image of that logo? or can you simply do it with HTML and CSS (or JavaScript if necessary).

385 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
uDesignStudios says

It all comes down to what really needs to be done via images. Basically, If you can achieve the same effects somehow without exporting it as image, do it. (Javascript, font replacement, one color bacgkrounds and borders etc).

If your element is something with complex graphic, youre gonna have to export it as an image.

Less images = faster loading times = better SEO = easy customization

38 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in United States
TLaude says
It all comes down to what really needs to be done via images. Basically, If you can achieve the same effects somehow without exporting it as image, do it. (Javascript, font replacement, one color bacgkrounds and borders etc).

If your element is something with complex graphic, youre gonna have to export it as an image.

Less images = faster loading times = better SEO = easy customization

That’s what I was thinking and what I have been trying to do. Just seems that whenever I slice it up, I can never get it to work right. Oh well… guess I keep tryin’ :)

385 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+8 more
uDesignStudios says

Keep trying, you have to catch your own grip :)

There is also a plenty of great material to learn from on the net, try envatos nettuts, they have some really nice tutorials over there :)

2529 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

@TLaude – Practice makes perfect. Rather than using the slice tool, you might consider manually cutting the images, pasting them into documents, and then saving that way. The slice tool can definitely be confusing if you’re not familiar with it.

2952 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 200+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
DDStudios says

I don’t know if anybody do that , but I always slice graphic with the crop tools.

Maybe it’s not a good way to do it but it work well for me. I zoom a lot and then I drag my rectangle with the crop tool .. double click .. save .. undo – undo .. zoom out :P

38 posts
TLaude says

@Jeffery – I’ve been constantly watching some of your tutorials and have noticed you doing that. I tried it once but forgot about it! Haha. I shall try agian!

by
by
by
by
by
by