353 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
al_m473 says

I spilled water on my laptop and it is away for repair. in going back to a 950 mhz system, it is really noticeable the download times for pages. it is just incredible, and hopefully my faster machine comes back soon.

this does apply to the envato web sites as well, I guess that you really don’t notice all the crap that needs to be d/ded to see a page until you use an older machine. not sure why web site pages need to be so loaded down with info that it takes so long to view them even with the older machine.

Al

607 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Member of the Envato Team
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

A 950 Mhz machine is 10-15 year old technology. I’m not sure paring down everything to make it work on antiques is a productive use of the developer’s/any developer’s time. :)

353 posts
al_m473 says

Oh I totally agree, thanks, just that right now this old technology works and the newer stuff doesn’t and it has not been a good experience going back and using it as my main computer. technology like computer technology does move forward but I guess I stll think there is a lot pf page bloat. thank goodness I am on cable internet, I can only imagine what it would be like on my old dial-up system. I also did not realize that the speed of my machine would affect the page load performance as much as it has.

Al

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
PixelBin says

A better question is: why do you still have a 950MHz machine? :D My phone can do better than that.

2057 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
Landonw says

950MHz? My machine is clocking at 3311MHz without overclocking

353 posts
al_m473 says

I guess I still have a 950 mhz pc is because it still works and sometimes comes in handy.

I bought my 1st pc in 1995, for close to $3000, a Windows 95 system with probably 64 or 128 MB of memory (not sure, but b/c of cost, probably not a lot more) and a 1.6 GB HD , along with a monitor, printer, CD player, keyboard and mouse. what you get today for the same price does not compare, and 16 years from now, any 3Ghz machine may look like a real antique as well.

hardware and software march on leaving machines like this in the dust.

Al

p.s. I volunteer at a center which refurbishes computers for schools here in Ontario, Canada and they do not want computers less than a P4 anymore. That has changed a lot since I started volunteering there as well and will continue to change as hardware changes.

4198 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+14 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

Uhm… My mini Net-book has a dual core… and it’s 1.8Ghz… :|

211 posts Devil Can't Burn
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market