• United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

I love LOVE that changes to the rating system are starting to make they’re way down the pipe lines! Very awesome!

But I have to agree that unlimited changes might be a little too generous. I think having the ability to change the rating once would be a nice safety net for purchasers who mistakenly give the wrong rating and it would also protect authors from future abuse.

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

I’m thinking that envato is doing changes by flipping a coin. First the horrible font change, then washed out color palettes in the whole site making everything unreadable and now this new toy for buyers to threaten authors. What’s next?

The correct way to enable a rating change is to detect if the item has been updated, then notify the user and invite him to rate the file again. This should motivate both buyers and authors to make better.

Make a flowchart before doing such things.

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

it’s all about the little big details :)

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says
JamiGibbs said
I think having the ability to change the rating once would be a nice safety net for purchasers who mistakenly give the wrong rating and it would also protect authors from future abuse.
“your about to give a bad rating” popup would prevent mistakes just fine
and we can live with impulsive bad ratings much better than with this new “overdue rating system improvement”

support is optional but, still, envato is pushing changes that make us slaves of it.
3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says
bitfade said
support is optional but, still, envato is pushing changes that make us slaves of it.

Absolutely agree.

41 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
selvamanikandan says
pixelentity said

I’d say this is a bad move and has not been thought through by Enavto.

So in an attempt to fix the rare situation where a buyer mistakingly gives a rating of 1 star, the system has been completely opened, creating a situation where a buyer, who is angry that you won’t bend over backwards (again) and help make the latest change requested by their client, can use the ratings as a device to get revenge on authors (who are not required to give support in the first place)!

IMO it would make more sense to allow 1 single change only of the rating system, to allow for the correction of a mistake rating, and that this rating, if lower then the first one, is required to be accompanied by an explanation / feedback / reason for change – which is sent anonymously to the author.

This would obviously still be open to abuse, but in a limited way compared to this new system.

DOK

That’s what i’m thinking… definitely no need for “n” times revision allowed..

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
+3 more
pixelentity says
bitfade said

+1 So true

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

And the point is…
shouldn’t be us (authors) asked before making such an important change on the rating system?

I know customers put the money on Envato’s table, but hey, the core of this business are authors.
We should be taken into consideration regarding this kind of moves.

We just needed a plain “i made a mistake while rating, can you correct it?” but not this “i’ll bad rate your file if you don’t answer my emails in the same day” dangerous tool.

:(

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Austria
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
bloooming says
pixelentity said

I’d say this is a bad move and has not been thought through by Enavto.

So in an attempt to fix the rare situation where a buyer mistakingly gives a rating of 1 star, the system has been completely opened, creating a situation where a buyer, who is angry that you won’t bend over backwards (again) and help make the latest change requested by their client, can use the ratings as a device to get revenge on authors (who are not required to give support in the first place)!

IMO it would make more sense to allow 1 single change only of the rating system, to allow for the correction of a mistake rating, and that this rating, if lower then the first one, is required to be accompanied by an explanation / feedback / reason for change – which is sent anonymously to the author.

This would obviously still be open to abuse, but in a limited way compared to this new system.

DOK

That is exactly what I thought while reading this announcement.

I very much appreciate that Envato is trying to listen to the numerous author suggestions, but sadly, this is going in the wrong direction.

If this is about providing buyers a chance to correct a bad rating that happened “by accident” then this “solution” is treating the symptoms and not the cause.

Something like this would do the job without opening doors to abuse:

Cheers

1426 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+10 more
kailoon Reviewer says

Nice,

Oh dear customer, please repair your ratings on my items :)

by
by
by
by
by
by