3738 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Still, the rating system is completely disfunctional. Pretty much every file is either not rated, or rated 4 or 5 star. Not rated means not many sales yet and 4 stars means there was someone who expected something different and probably didn’t read the description (or expected too much of the author, supportwise).. I don’t see how this contributes to giving an insight in the quality of the file.

632 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says
Joost said
Still, the rating system is completely disfunctional. Pretty much every file is either not rated, or rated 4 or 5 star. Not rated means not many sales yet and 4 stars means there was someone who expected something different and probably didn’t read the description (or expected too much of the author, supportwise).. I don’t see how this contributes to giving an insight in the quality of the file.

Agreed, the rating system is pretty useless as it is.

Instead there should be buyer feedback separated into categories. plus a rating in each category.

For example:

Functionality (3/5): The product worked great, but needed additional tweaks to make it work perfect with my wordpress installation.

Support (5/5): The support for this product has been excellent and punctual.

Overall (4/5): Could do with some minor tweaks, but decent product overall, and it’s a steal at $x

1034 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
mudi says

Thank you for this :)

6072 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says
bloooming said
ThemeProvince said
No one here suggested this method.
Actually that’s not true, there have been several threads about this matter: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/can-support-fix-a-mistake-with-theme-rating/35904 http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/rating-system/44343 http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/another-thread-about-the-file-rating-system/37723 ... and so on…. I guess authors were asking for a one time opportunity to correct a rating….

The suggestions were endless but none of the authors are immature enough to request rating system to allow infinite updates. I never heard about such a rating system. As someone pointed before, it would be understandable if such option available in case the item updated.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says
Joost said

Well said.

Unfortunately, Devs, I have to agree with the majority of the sentiments here. I can think of a couple of times recently when a buyer of one of my files was extremely pleased with his initial purchase, then came asking for support, which I provided, but then when he asked for additional customizations and I was unable to give them for free (or within 12 hours), he completely reversed his opinion and gave a very nasty comment and rating. What if he had already rated it 5 stars after the purchase, but then 12 hours later (because of his obscene demands) decided that he wasn’t happy so changed it to 1 star? Just doesn’t seem right . . .

A confirmation popup would have been so simple . . .

7762 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

4911 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I’d just like to start off by quickly addressing the main point that keeps coming up in this thread. Everyone is assuming that buyers will rate a file high, and then after not getting proper support or customization (in their eyes), they’ll come back and maliciously rate your file lower. While it is possible right now, 1. I’ve noticed that most of the time files go completely unrated by the majority of buyers. 2. If someone does rate your file, I doubt they’re going to rate it 5 stars without ever looking at it, then request an unrealistic customization job, get denied, and drop the rating down.

More realistically, they’d probably not rate it at all, request the job, then rate it low. In the previous system there was no changing that negative rating, not even by the devs.

Being completely honest, I’ve never personally come across a ticket where a buyer rated a file high and asked if it could be lowered, for any reason. I have been assigned to a huge number of tickets from buyers saying they rated low by mistake. Or that they rated low, then fixed the issue that caused the low rating, and wanted it changed to a better rating. I’ve also personally got at least 20 – 30 tickets over the last few years from authors frustrated that when a buyer makes a rating it’s locked in permanently.

I don’t think there’s a simple solution within the current rating system to make it perfect, but we try our best to cover the issues that have the highest probability of occurrences.

Moving forward we’re going to look into improving the ratings system further and I can assure you that it wont stop here. This was meant to be a temporary fix that pushes us all a bit further in the right direction.

178 posts Challenge accepted.
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
bloooming says
MarkBrodhuber said

More realistically, they’d probably not rate it at all, request the job, then rate it low. In the previous system there was no changing that negative rating, not even by the devs.

Being completely honest, I’ve never personally come across a ticket where a buyer rated a file high and asked if it could be lowered, for any reason.

Ok, if this is really the case, then please make a down-rating impossible. A buyer should have the option to change the rating, but only upwards.

I have the feeling you guys think authors are being just paranoid ;-)

Well, here is a snippet from a recent thread in our support forum. Sadly, this is the reality we are dealing with:

[quote] ....I’m hoping for a satisfactory answer soon. Or I will have to post a negative recommendation on TF, to warn potential buyers that support is seriously lacking with this theme…. [/quote]

1611 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says
VF said
cspcreative said
That’s cool, but can I make another suggestion?

Star rating averages can be rather ‘unfriendly’ when you have a popluar item that gets low-balled by a low rating. Can the stars system be revised to be similar to that of eBay’s — where a % of the star is highlighted instead of it being either ON or OFF ?

The top two are GRs, the bottom one is a properly ‘averaged’ system from eBay.

Not that I overly care about rating systems (they can be easily abused), I just thought it would better reflect the quality of items. 4 out of 5 stars is like 80%, when really it could more like 98% (just had one or two low ratings out of 20 or 30 ratings). Know what I mean?

+1

Majority of rating variations falls between 4 star to 5 star (80 to 100%). The 5th star can be more detailed and safer if divided 4 parts to show 80 (full gray), 85, 90, 95 and 100%

Regarding the new system, I don’t think the ability to edit rating is a positive change for authors. It helps just to solve mistaken ratings but what about if a buyer with wrong mood modifies a 5 star into 1 star after 5 years. There should be a time limit like 2 months etc to be able to modify rating.

+2 and display a breakdown of the ratings a la Amazon:

Personally think it should be limited to a one time rating change. This update was made to alleviate the issue of a mistaken rating, not to allow someone to change ratings every other day. Unlimited changes is completely unnecessary.

4343 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says
contempoinc said

+2 and display a breakdown of the ratings a la Amazon:

Personally think it should be limited to a one time rating change. This update was made to alleviate the issue of a mistaken rating, not to allow someone to change ratings every other day. Unlimited changes is completely unnecessary.

Me likey alot! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by