170 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
subsolar says

How do you proceed with clients wanting little CSS customizations with a theme?

Do you include it in the free support or do you get paid additionally? For now I don’t see it as a problem to help a client do small customization but what happens in the future when you have more themes, more clients.

I’m curious how you the other authors proceed with this type of clients?

1428 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Payed of course :)

3524 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

What does small mean? If it’s a display: none or margin-top: 20px i usually help them (takes me 30sec) and refer them to a ticket where they can learn how to do these themselves. If a clients asks for more than 2 or 3 such tweaks i usually tell them to hire someone.

1245 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Small tweaks, 1 or 2 lines of CSS I am happy to do this for buyers, though after 3 tickets of this I usually refer them to a customisation service.

Othertimes I’ll do more or less depending on the client, if they’re really nice, genuinely nice I mean and approach the relationship we have as author & buyer in a great way, then I’ll normally go that extra mile for them. However, if a buyer comes in with a major attitude straight away for no apparent reason, then I’ll normally not offer any help with customisations whatsoever.

Short Version: Be nice, get more :)

584 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

Othertimes I’ll do more or less depending on the client, if they’re really nice, genuinely nice I mean and approach the relationship we have as author & buyer in a great way, then I’ll normally go that extra mile for them. However, if a buyer comes in with a major attitude straight away for no apparent reason, then I’ll normally not offer any help with customisations whatsoever. Short Version: Be nice, get more :)

Exactly. The buyer’s tact has a huge impact on how much I’m willing to help them for free. Anything that takes over 5 minutes, realistically, I’m charging for. If it takes less than that it’s faster just to help them. If they keep asking repeatedly, then eventually I’ll tell them to work with a freelancer.

170 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
subsolar says

Thanks for all the answers. You’ve been very helpful. I personally has never charged until now, but there haven’t been any complex customizations

Can you please tell me how much do you charge for let’s say something that will take you 20-30 minutes. Just for reference. Thanks :)

1245 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

Can you please tell me how much do you charge for let’s say something that will take you 20-30 minutes. Just for reference. Thanks :)

Minimum of 1hour, $50 p/hour

185 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
visualkicks says

A standard rate here in Australia for web developers is about 80 – 120 an hour. I tell my customers 120 an hour because..

1) I prefer not to do the customisations and hope they go somewhere else (I recommend micro-lancer to them).

2) They understand just exactly what they got when they purchased my theme for $40 – $50.

If I was going to the the customizations though, I would charge about the same as Mr Rhodus.

3524 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

I tell my customers 120 an hour because I prefer not to do the customisations and hope they go somewhere else

Yes! :D:D

4 posts
KarimOnTheGo says

Minimum of 1hour, $50 p/hour

Is there an association or industry group that rates developers? Do you guys have any oversight from peer groups etc? Or can anyone call themselves a ‘developer’?

by
by
by
by
by
by