168 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
subsolar says

How do you proceed with clients wanting little CSS customizations with a theme?

Do you include it in the free support or do you get paid additionally? For now I don’t see it as a problem to help a client do small customization but what happens in the future when you have more themes, more clients.

I’m curious how you the other authors proceed with this type of clients?

1364 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Slovenia
Anps says

Payed of course :)

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

What does small mean? If it’s a display: none or margin-top: 20px i usually help them (takes me 30sec) and refer them to a ticket where they can learn how to do these themselves. If a clients asks for more than 2 or 3 such tweaks i usually tell them to hire someone.

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Small tweaks, 1 or 2 lines of CSS I am happy to do this for buyers, though after 3 tickets of this I usually refer them to a customisation service.

Othertimes I’ll do more or less depending on the client, if they’re really nice, genuinely nice I mean and approach the relationship we have as author & buyer in a great way, then I’ll normally go that extra mile for them. However, if a buyer comes in with a major attitude straight away for no apparent reason, then I’ll normally not offer any help with customisations whatsoever.

Short Version: Be nice, get more :)

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Othertimes I’ll do more or less depending on the client, if they’re really nice, genuinely nice I mean and approach the relationship we have as author & buyer in a great way, then I’ll normally go that extra mile for them. However, if a buyer comes in with a major attitude straight away for no apparent reason, then I’ll normally not offer any help with customisations whatsoever. Short Version: Be nice, get more :)

Exactly. The buyer’s tact has a huge impact on how much I’m willing to help them for free. Anything that takes over 5 minutes, realistically, I’m charging for. If it takes less than that it’s faster just to help them. If they keep asking repeatedly, then eventually I’ll tell them to work with a freelancer.

168 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
subsolar says

Thanks for all the answers. You’ve been very helpful. I personally has never charged until now, but there haven’t been any complex customizations

Can you please tell me how much do you charge for let’s say something that will take you 20-30 minutes. Just for reference. Thanks :)

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

Can you please tell me how much do you charge for let’s say something that will take you 20-30 minutes. Just for reference. Thanks :)

Minimum of 1hour, $50 p/hour

175 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

A standard rate here in Australia for web developers is about 80 – 120 an hour. I tell my customers 120 an hour because..

1) I prefer not to do the customisations and hope they go somewhere else (I recommend micro-lancer to them).

2) They understand just exactly what they got when they purchased my theme for $40 – $50.

If I was going to the the customizations though, I would charge about the same as Mr Rhodus.

3433 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I tell my customers 120 an hour because I prefer not to do the customisations and hope they go somewhere else

Yes! :D:D

4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
KarimOnTheGo says

Minimum of 1hour, $50 p/hour

Is there an association or industry group that rates developers? Do you guys have any oversight from peer groups etc? Or can anyone call themselves a ‘developer’?

by
by
by
by
by
by