• Won a Competition
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
Pirenko says

Or can anyone call themselves a ‘developer’?
Yes anyone can do this, but being being called ‘a developer’ by others is a bit harder. And when someone pays you any fee or buys your products theat person expects that these “things” that you develop should work.
I don’t know if I understood in a wrong way, but it seems that you are a bit upset with this thread. Actually, so upset that this is your first post :D
Anyway, my personal experience: when you have very few time and don’t sleep as many hours as you should, $50 of hourly rate is not that much.
4 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
KarimOnTheGo says

Or can anyone call themselves a ‘developer’?
Yes anyone can do this, but being being called ‘a developer’ by others is a bit harder. And when someone pays you any fee or buys your products theat person expects that these “things” that you develop should work.
I don’t know if I understood in a wrong way, but it seems that you are a bit upset with this thread. Actually, so upset that this is your first post :D
Anyway, my personal experience: when you have very few time and don’t sleep as many hours as you should, $50 of hourly rate is not that much.

You are perceptive. I have been ripped of now by 7 developers in a row. WPMU gave me a free Gold membership because they felt bad and ODesk removed another one that robbed me. I need someone to do minor adjustments that I cannot do and other things that I don’t have time to do myself. Small tweaks and customizations to premade themes bought from here. I was looking for a quick and honest worker.

Thank you for your response. Sorry if I was rude.

557 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
Pirenko says

You were not rude, but it seemed that you hate ‘developers’ ;)
It is important for us authors that buyers have a good opinion about the Marketplace generally so, if you need help in the future, make sure that you pick the right person for the right job (I know that it is not easy sometimes).
And back on topic I do agree that some lines of CSS or some simple scripting should be “given” for free.
4 posts
KarimOnTheGo says

You were not rude, but it seemed that you hate ‘developers’ ;)
It is important for us authors that buyers have a good opinion about the Marketplace generally so, if you need help in the future, make sure that you pick the right person for the right job (I know that it is not easy sometimes).
And back on topic I do agree that some lines of CSS or some simple scripting should be “given” for free.

I don’t ‘hate developers’. I just think they are unregulated. Additionally I don’t want anything for free. I pay for expedient and efficient work. Just because someone knows how to code better than I do doesn’t mean his he/she knows anything about project planning and time frames.

Anyway, this conversation is over. I will look elsewhere for someone.

Thank you for your time

Bye

177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Australia
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
visualkicks says

When I recommend people to find a developer I tell them to go to microlancer (envato studio now). Generally speaking that service market place is pretty tightly regulated by Envato. So I have no problem with recommending people from there.

The very best thing at the end of the day though is finding a developer who is local to you. Find someone in your own country that you can talk to via the phone. Even if it costs you more, it’s better to form a relationship with someone in person then online.

Cheers, Jesse

4 posts
KarimOnTheGo says

When I recommend people to find a developer I tell them to go to microlancer (envato studio now). Generally speaking that service market place is pretty tightly regulated by Envato. So I have no problem with recommending people from there.

The very best thing at the end of the day though is finding a developer who is local to you. Find someone in your own country that you can talk to via the phone. Even if it costs you more, it’s better to form a relationship with someone in person then online.

Cheers, Jesse

Thank you for your response. I have no problem making phone calls internationally but I do get your point. In order to save money I tended buy overseas and I have incurred more problems. I should have bought locally even though it is more expensive here in Canada.

Thank you for your advice. I will heed it.

by
by
by
by
by
by