• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

So I decided to just take a look around some of the popular files and artists…and man oh man – are some of the stats and logistics on your guys’ stuff daunting!! I mean – check this out: http://www.audiojungle.net/item/solidbeats-clear-blue-skies/8230

yeah, it’s solid beats. The piece has like, over 100 sales though (!!!!) I mean, how do you guys do that?! It’s crazy!

I just don’t know what I’m doing wrong lately. I’m trying to figure out how some of the authors here are just so good at what they do (getting sales and such) and I cannot figure it if it’s just that my pieces are nowhere near as good or that my page layout is lame or something I haven’t thought of. So, I really have to know…what’s the secret here? I tried revamping my entire layout the past couple of days because I figured part of it might just be that it’s not nearly as nicely set up as other people’s pages (I’m sure this is part of it). So I uploaded a bunch of source files, changed my logo, added bookmarks and logos for all the bookmarks, edited the front page (I’m going to do more) and I want to know if anyone has suggestions besides what I’ve thought of (and if you want to tell me your secret on how you guys do it!)

- josh

150 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MaestroRage says

Josh, I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. Your profile looks clean, the pictures for your collection pristine and inviting. I believe the prime reason here is usability. Your tracks are great, but Solidbeat’s track Clear Blue Skies is, and I mean absolutely no offense to my good friend Solid here, very generic. It’s usable for just about anything.

I mean it’s edgy, it’s snazzy, good length, it can be used for both foreground and background purposes. It’s very relaxed and sci fi’ish so it can be used in games easily, portfolio sites, normal websites, presentations, hold music, meditation, zen-esque.

It’s diversity coupled with it’s simplicity makes it killer. As the description suggests, solid harmonies further injects some serious mood into the piece.

That and Solid has a rather intricate linking system in his songs, it’s a well maintained network within itself, find one of his songs, found all of his songs.

Just wish it looped better :P

just my 2 cents anyways.

338 posts
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

hmm…

that’s actually a very good point. One I hadn’t considered very heavily. I really do have to admit that my music is likely a little too eclectic and eccentric for the most part (normally what people like about it is probably what is the downfall here).

thanks for letting me know my page looks okay!

I’ll have to work on making things a little bit more “toned down” or generic I guess.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

1 thing to consider for any marketplace is you always want to attract the largest possible demographic. Of course you can upload niche and targeting files here and there, but if you want to make money you need to try to appeal to the majority at least 70% of the time.

:)

20 posts
  • Austria
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
ma9sharp11 says

Josh, your old page wasn’t bad at all. But your new page looks really great. You did put quite a bit of work into the revamp – and it shows. Well done. :-)

People will browse your portfolio and listen to the previews, they might even comment publicly with a compliment or send it via the contact form. But most likely they won’t spend 6-10 $ for a single track if they can’t use it for a specific purpose – be it a slide show presentation, a website, a youtube video…

So a good idea to increase your chances for sales is to think about those needs of potential customers and then deliver the goods for them. :-)

That’s what I plan on doing more in the future.

Marko

338 posts
  • United States
joshhunsaker says

thanks! I appreciate that. Good to know the page looks better! I guess I’ve just been wondering why I haven’t had much sell lately (I think a couple months ago I had 33 sales or something, which was great – last month it was down to 8 sales or so). Maybe it’s just the economy. I’m thinking it’s also audiojungle is attracting a ton of really top-notch talent though! Hard to compete…

346 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Ireland
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
musicformedia says

Yea in my opinion “generic” – in terms of usability – is the most important part. A simple track that is no specific genre or has no specific purpose is the most valuable. I think some of my tracks work as they really are probably the most simple it can get – I’m not gloating by the way lol – just saying, my tracks are simple, because I’m only really starting off, so don’t know how to do a huge amount music tech wise.

I thought they would be too generic or simple, but when you think about it, if you have a track that can be used for 10 purposes compared to a track that can be used for about 3 purposes, the track with 10 purposes is going to be attractive to a far larger clientel.

But yea…at the same time, don’t abandon your own style, taste and talent just to make more sales. I don’t think its all abut the sales – remain true to your own style and do what you do best, and opportunities arise from this sometimes that are better and more valuable than sales :)

If everyone made generic and highly usable music, it would be a boring world :)

150 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MaestroRage says

haha, amen. I don’t intend to change my submission style just to make sales. I am and will always be, a game composer. I’ll just have to bring more game developers to AJ won’t I now?!

338 posts
  • United States
joshhunsaker says
haha, amen. I don’t intend to change my submission style just to make sales. I am and will always be, a game composer. I’ll just have to bring more game developers to AJ won’t I now?!

ha ha! nice point there. bring some extra with you and send them my way…

461 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+4 more
Solidbeats Reviewer says

To be honest with you Josh I’m just as surprised as you about that track. Never thought it would be so successful at all. I’ve had a great deal of luck!

But you guys seem to forget one important thing though, I’ve been around since feb 2007. Josh, you’ve been around since June 2008. I’m sure that your sales will pick up too if you stay patient..

Look at my first 6 months on FD, it’s quite horrible. I did most certainly not have a total of 100 sales, think it took over 1 years or so.. at least.

February 2007 4 Sales $3.75
March 2007 5 Sales $8.00
April 2007 5 Sales $4.50
May 2007 15 Sales $9.25
June 2007 8 Sales $7.25
July 2007 4 Sales $4.75

It’s been said before, marketing is half the battle. You can pretty much sell anything with good marketing tools, on any site. I’ve noticed tons of new sales because of those extra added keywords! So take a few extra minutes to put those in, and if you cannot come up with any at the moment, add those later on. Luckily AJ lets us do that at any time :)
Eventually, the word will spread, you’ll get noticed and hopefully you’ll make a few more sales at the end of the day.

As a reviewer I’ve seen far too many awesome loops fade away because of a poor description and lack of keywords. I try to tell them why it’s important, but most of them just don’t seem to care.

So, Hang in there and be patient. It shouldn’t be about sales anyways, right? We all create music for the love of it and the pocket money we make is a bonus. At least that’s how I see it

by
by
by
by
by
by