So reviewers is now forcing me to create bundles? What happened with the three items type rule?

7300 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says
http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/301/51/how-many-item-variations-can-i-upload

the rule above states:

“The maximum number of variations on one item any author can upload is three.

no issue here I have three of them

Variations are generally discouraged unless they cannot be accomplished by altering the file after purchase.

you can’t alter the project to obtain three different results. each phone has his own logo elements and phone screen dimension. In my opinion Samsung beats them all with a standard full Hd 1920×1080 screen dimension, I liked that when composting the phone screen in After Effects, but I digress, I can’t have the patience to build the item so the buyer can hit an option and switch from Samsung to iphone or to nokia on the fly, to complicated.

Variations will only be accepted for sale if they offer a distinct new use to buyers.”

The item offers a distinct use because you can show specific apps for that specific phone. If you have a windows mobile app you want to feature on a windows phone it look more realistic to show it on a phone that support that particular operating system.

7300 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I don’t know if this is a good idea on your part but you can create another video template for another popular phone making it four video templates.

not sure I’ve understand, you mean bundle samsung and nokia together and then create another one with iphone and don’t know xperia or something?

but then I’m back to this issue since the second bundle will be the same as the first one :D

1431 posts Determined to give you nothing but the best!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
mrcharlesbrown says

I don’t know if this is a good idea on your part but you can create another video template for another popular phone making it four video templates.

not sure I’ve understand, you mean bundle samsung and nokia together and then create another one with iphone and don’t know xperia or something?

but then I’m back to this issue since the second bundle will be the same as the first one :D

This is not my field buddy but you can try Sony Erisson or another of its kind.

Yes the second bundle will be the same but this time, you are not marketing them as three individual files but as two packages that complement each other. Your buyers will go for the two (depends on the format/OS/resolution they need) and you will have more advantage to that than selling it as one whole bundle.

Your second bundle is likely to pass through because of this: http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/301/51/how-many-item-variations-can-i-upload
951 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
Giallo says

If the reviewer you’re in contact with consider your item not a “distinct new use for the buyers” he will not accept the bundle. But not sure because I didn’t view your videos so I maybe wrong.

Consider also that you may have encountered a young reviewer, sometime they’re a bit scared in taking decisions of this type. For example (since Charles is here) I could consider his artistic photoshop Actions a unique item, with lots of variations, but since they offer a service wich clearly offers a distinct outcome, is well accepted.

But generally reviewers tend to accept only 3 products of the same type per person, in theory I couldn’t upload more than 3 “branding mock-ups” for example. But if you sell them they accept the files, always, variation or non variation whatever it is.

Contact a senior reviewer to have a suggestion :) An idea could be to bundle your best 3 items and offer a payed variation (like a banner in the bottom of the item “Do you want this with nameofthephone? Contact me (starts fromprice)”

7300 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Thank You everyone for the replies.

I’ve understand that many of you can’t off course judge if they don’t see the item. While it may be that the reviewer is right I don’t think is the case here because of a certain history I’ve had with the reviewer who verified my item.

I’ve updated the soft rejected items with my arguments and I will respect whatever decision the review team will take as per marketplace rule. (envato can approve and reject at will whatever item they like) I will inform you what was the decision.

But generally reviewers tend to accept only 3 products of the same type per person, in theory I couldn’t upload more than 3 “branding mock-ups” for example. But if you sell them they accept the files, always, variation or non variation whatever it is.

don’t know, I interpret this three items rules as style not necessarily type. So having more than three mockups should be allowed but if you upload ten iphones mockups then there is a problem. Off course, as you said if your items sell then you can maybe upload even 20 iphones mockups. But I have no problem with this, is just the rule that is bended in number (more than three) but I can’t upload even two of them.

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Moved to VideoHive.

855 posts Nicely done
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says

Hi Doru,

Your item is being reviewed by other review team members per your request.

As the project’s original reviewer, I feel as though I owe you an explanation based on the public accusations you’ve made toward the review staff.

Regarding the “3 similar items rule”, I interpret that rule as an author being allowed to sell 3 separate, but different projects based on the same design or theme.

Here is the rule’s verbiage:

“Variations are generally discouraged unless they cannot be accomplished by altering the file after purchase. Variations will only be accepted for sale if they offer a distinct new use to buyers”

With this in mind, the projects you submitted were identical in almost every way (animation, camera angle, timing, text layout, etc), except for the phone model being different. I felt that by adding multiple phones to one single project, which would be priced higher than an average project, might be more beneficial and make more sense to the customer. (You know, add value and options!)

By having multiple, identical projects that are essentially the same except for the phone, any customer who wants to use multiple phone models would have to purchase your identical projects multiple times at $20 per project – just for the different phone model. From my standpoint, forcing a customer to purchase the same project again just for the different phone seemed illogical.

Based on the rule’s verbiage shown above, I failed to see how offering multiple identical projects “offereed a distinct new use to buyers”. It made more sense to me to offer the customer multiple phone options contained inside of one single project.

Hopefully this explanation makes some sense to you, and gives you some insight into my thought process and ultimate decision in soft-rejecting your item. Keep in mind, your item wasn’t hard-rejected, and I gave you an opportunity to state your case or make the requested changes.

And finally, I can assure you that no reviewer, including myself, is trying to “harass” you! :)

4905 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

As some of you veterans might remember, back when Video was just a sub-category on ActiveDen, we only accepted motion graphic files. In the very early days a competition was held with pretty flexible rules, basically saying whoever got the most files approved within a certain time-frame won. During that competition the Video section exploded with submissions and the majority of those submissions were pretty much the same item over and over again, each time coming in with only a different hue or color applied.

When VideoHive branched out into it’s own site, we wanted to try and avoid marketplace saturation, and one easy way to help that was to stop accepting multiple submissions of essentially the same item with only minor modifications. Pretty much killing variations. Authors began uploading as many different colors as they could fit within their zip (remember, back then the limit was 500 MB). And while this worked for a short time, some authors wanted to provide more colors/options but found the file size cap too limiting. So we created the 3-variation rule, permitting up to 3 variations on any one file. This worked well for Motion Graphics and is still in place today.

I do also want to point out that when this rule was created (years ago), it was only supposed to be for Motion Graphics. Since changing things like a simple hue could be easily done in After Effects. We just never really clarified that in the rules wording, and in all honesty, the issue were facing now has not really come up many times in the past.

Doru, we will accept your item that’s pending and a third item from you with different prerenders since the wording of the three variation rule can be interpreted to go either way. But I want to assure you, and all authors that Tyson was doing his job, and was acting based on his best interpretation of the rules. None of the reviewers do their job with any sort of bias or negative views toward any authors. If a file is acceptable and is found to be provided within our guidelines and rules, it’s accepted. In this case, the confusion came from a slightly different interpretation of a pretty loosely worded rule.

7300 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

thank you for the answer,

having a project with three phones inside is a good idea that I’ve considered when deciding to create this set. I will definitely build one item with multiple devices inside but off course in a different style with different animations.

This is roughly what goes into creating just one phone. Research reference, model the phone, add texture, animate, render, then composite everything in after effects. I managed to reduce time for all this steps to 4 or 5 days.

Since uploading new items periodically increase author exposure (at least is what I’ve observed in my case) I had a decision to make. Spend weeks creating one item while repeating the steps above for each phone, or creating the devices and building an item for each one of them. At the end of this cycle I will had three items on sale and three devices ready to be used in other projects.

I’ve just took the decision that made more sense to me at the time. Only problem I didn’t consider is that the marketplace have some problems in accepting items that looks to similar with your own existing items. I will take this in consideration for the next item.

Hopefully this was clarified, I have no intention to argue with the review team, my only goal is to upload technically correct and the best designed items I can make, to offer envato buyers quality products, and then get my monetary reward.

7300 posts
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

took my time to browse envato library today to understand better the current trends

there is a user who has wonderful, best selling items that are practically duplicate of the same concept. Lights, movement, text everything is the same, yet I see his items approved without all this drama of “duplicating movement and camera angle” that was reserved to me.

those are great items, btw, I admire his creativity and inspiration, was a genius move to add some hanging photo frames in a tree, off course the technical execution is very professional. His items deserve to be on sale and the buyers really like them.

yet those are still duplicates of each other.

Not accusing, just justifying why I feel frustrated about this situation. But business is a tough world :) so a couple of hours on beach fixes everything

by
by
by
by
by
by