• Sweden
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
dvhughes says

Hey All,

You know…Since it seems like the only way to do things nowadays, I have been toiling away lately on creating accounts on all of the popular portfolio sites (Behance, Dribbble, DeviantArt) and I started to get really frustrated about the sheer amount of work it takes to keep them updated and looking good. Not to mention my own website. (And then there are all of the other sites such as FB Pages and LinkIn) It is a goddamned nightmare in my opinion. I hate it.

A few questions for you all:
  1. Have you EVER gotten one job from any of these sites?
  2. Has anyone ever (cold) contacted you because of your work displayed on these sites and hired you for a project? “Hey, saw your work on _, would like you to consider working on our project.”
  3. Is uploading all this work and the time it requires to maintain simply an ego stroke and nothing more?

I am beginning to think it is just a grand waste of time. Would love to get your feedback on this.

Thanks in advance.

213 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
themelux says

Have you EVER gotten one job from any of these sites?
Yes.

Has anyone ever (cold) contacted you because of your work displayed on these sites and hired you for a project? “Hey, saw your work on _, would like you to consider working on our project.”
If you consider forums as one of these sites yes, Forums will help a great deal along with Twitter.

Is uploading all this work and the time it requires to maintain simply an ego stroke and nothing more?
No, I don’t think so at least. But I wouldn’t upload all of your work, just the work you feel others should see. That way it doesn’t take up so much of your time.

3716 posts Community Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+4 more
quickandeasy Volunteer moderator says

I have picked up lots of work from these social networking sites.

Also, I recently posted some referral statistics of the revenue they sent to my web store :)

http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/referral-statistics/69151
171 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Singapore
glenngoh says

I have gotten several freelance jobs from DeviantArt and a few directly from graphicriver. I didn’t really spend much time uploading design on those sites. Probably take me about 10-20 minutes for every new design.

However, I guess my real intention for uploading to those sites isn’t really to get new jobs but rather to showcase my work and probably inspires people. Getting new freelance jobs from those sites probably come as a bonus to me.

I guess you shouldn’t see it as a waste of time. Probably to look at it as a common workflow for every new design. Don’t you want to showcase your work to more people. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by