• Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Hey,

I was thinking of making a site but it needs Sockets IO… does anyone use it? anyone know any hosts that support it as it needs to be installed.. :crying:

2821 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Most should allow sockets. Any linux host should support local sockets, ipv4 sockets might get a little tricky and you’ll just have to try to see what firewall lovelies are in place.

Hosts like godaddy may block certain outbound ports your script tries to hit, or connections back onto the same box via loopback.

Most will also block all inbound ports except web + ftp, so you most likely wont be able to initiate a connection to your script from the outside to a listening socket script on the inside.

Also any cheap host wont allow you to run a headless script in the background for long, rendering any interesting php socket script useless.

Best of luck! Be sure to post your results.

972 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says
dtbaker said
Most should allow sockets. Any linux host should support local sockets, ipv4 sockets might get a little tricky and you’ll just have to try to see what firewall lovelies are in place.

Hosts like godaddy may block certain outbound ports your script tries to hit, or connections back onto the same box via loopback.

Most will also block all inbound ports except web + ftp, so you most likely wont be able to initiate a connection to your script from the outside to a listening socket script on the inside.

Also any cheap host wont allow you to run a headless script in the background for long, rendering any interesting php socket script useless.

Best of luck! Be sure to post your results.

thanks for your help…. just looked in to EC2 … that way i can control everything

its a script i usually would not evan look in to because its a service (free).. but its something i think will be awesome so it should be good..

by
by
by
by
by
by