60 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
ProteusThemes says

Hello there guys!

We have quite a situation here and we want to hear your opinion about it.

For the last three months we were creating a new WordPress theme for restaurants (http://restaurant.demo.proteusthemes.com/). Two weeks ago we uploaded it and we got two soft rejections with the reason that theme is too similar to this one (Carpress – http://www.proteusthemes.com/themes/?theme=carpress-wp ) and that was it. We were not even close to get any useful direction on what should we change or do.

I must say we used Carpress theme as a foundation but in restaurant theme we changed almost entire .css file, changed style, size and position of almost all elements and added lots of new features (advanced plugin implementation, page builder, more options in live WP cutomizer etc.). No need to say that the code is entirely new, using new/better/different approaches.

It was quite an unpleasant surprise for us mostly because TF reviewers every day accept more than dozen single-page portfolios or Avada-like themes which all look the same. We saw a lot of authors just changing the colors and position of elements and having another “unique” theme accepted, but we wouldn’t dare to do so as the customers are lost then in the ocean of the same themes with different content.

We don’t want to criticise the reviewers as much as we want to get second opinion from other authors and staff members. Do you think this is fair, what do you think we should do in this case?

In the worst case scenario we could sell Restaurant theme on our own sales channels or make it free for the matter of promotion. But first we want to know what could we do to get our hard work approved on the ThemeForest?

Thank you all for help, Kind Regards, ProteusThemes

546 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
pixeful says

Once I remember got a rejection message, that is totally not for my theme. I did asked reviewer like: “are you sure this message belongs to me?” ... I didn’t uploaded nothing. Just message directly to reviewer via Item Edit. Got an answer smth like: “Oppps. Sorry! Approved.” .

Reviewers got so much work to do, so it’s worth to try, they are not robots, so most likely it’s made by mistake. Your theme is totally different and it’s even more modern. So it should be approved ;)

1587 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Hi mate, yes this is bound to happen, all i can suggest make some unique improvements and it will go trough. We all went trough that. And are you sure this is a soft reject since in majority of cases design rejections on note of uniqueness is in most cases hard reject.

180 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+7 more
surjithctly says

I think they are some software to check with any matching code. Previously I got a rejection with a link to a website that is using my template.

Its great if any reviewer can confirm this. Because I’m sure they cannot find a random website manually.

But in your case, I think the class names, ID & structure may be same. They are looking through code not design.

78 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
IceSoft says

Why this should be an issue, if the code is similar, this is your code and this should be ok ? This new theme is for different category of customers…

60 posts
+3 more
ProteusThemes says

Thank you everyone! I see I am not the only who thinks this is a little bit odd.

@pixeful: I am quite sure it is not a mistake, since we got 2 soft rejections and in the first one they actually created some screenshots which elements are too similar in both themes and should be fixed. Then we fixed all of them and provided detailed explanation what we changed and why. The second response was then just ‘the items are still too similar’.

@Anps: yes, it is a soft reject, 2 times now already. The problem is that we already made all the changes to make it even more diverse. It doesn’t make any sense to introduce some completely new elements or ruin the existing ones, just for the sake of uniqueness?

@surjithctly: backend/frontend code is entirely new, as we updated from Bootstrap 2 to 3, created new widgets or improved the existing ones, changed the filenames, dir structures, introduced Grunt build process etc.

@icesoft: yeah, I think the same :/

I don’t know yet how we will solve this…

1587 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Some times you just have to give them what they want, i would remove or totally redesign the opening times since it is almost the same and redo footer, restyle it totally.

I ask if its soft reject because on notion of uniqueness its almost always a hard reject, of course if you have it in your hidden items then it is indeed a soft reject and one more reason why i ask because if its a hard reject then you will need quite a massive redesign to get it trough

60 posts
+3 more
ProteusThemes says

Hi,

Thank to all of you very much once again!

Today this item was finally accepted: http://themeforest.net/item/dining-restaurant-wordpress-theme-for-chefs/8294419

It is sometimes really stupid which changes we have to do, just to satisfy the reviewers, but that’s just how it is as long as we sell on ThemeForest and not on our own channels :)

Anyway, we all agree that the final visual product is much better than it was when we submitted it for review the 1st time, so I hope that it was worth and everything will reflect well on sales.

491 posts (-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Themewaves says

I have actually One theme that’s also the Soft Rejected about 1 month.

Rejection Issue is similiar to your another theme. But i will show you.

Uploaded one => http://themes.themewaves.com/mixing/
Reviewer said similiar to this one => http://themes.themewaves.com/rebound/

I have actually no idea how to solve this ;) But the main important thing is We need to upload theme with must unique different Element or Different New Ideas?

I think Envato need to recheck review process. Sometimes too simple or not unique themes approved marketplace. I think my item is good enough. But they dont accept month :(

231 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
ThemeFuzz says

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that the “Share” button from the bradcrumbs bar isn’t working.

best regards, Stefan

by
by
by
by
by
by