6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
bocaraton says

Hi,

This was supposed to be my first AE template for Videohive but it got soft-rejected because I was using an uncommon plugin: LINK TO THE VIDEO

First, the story of the idea. In a video production studio I’m working, my colleague struggled with making a commercial for a client. It had to be a gift-box from which various images jump out. The client wanted their logo on the box, with paper-wrapping in the colors of the company. My colleague made it in 3D, textured it and rendered it. Then the client asked for various changes so it had to be retextured and rerendered multiple times. We often use AE templates in the studio, from Videohive, but we couldn’t find any nice giftbox that could be easily retextured. That’s when I got the idea and made such a template. I enabled retexturing by using a plugin for using the UV pass from my 3D render. I’ve even found the version of the plugin that is super cheap (as low as 5$) so that my buyers don’t have to buy RE:Vision one for about 150$.

I made this template having people like my studio colleagues in mind. AE professionals who just save time by using templates when needed. I figured that the template would be heavily modified so I just added the most important 3D animated nulls. People like my colleagues would add particles and various things in 3D by using those nulls.

And then this item got soft-rejected. The reviewer asked me to remove plugins because they are not common. After talking to support staff, they told me that many of Videohive buyers are beginners to After Effects and want to be able to open the project, make the changes, and hit render.

Ok, I’m fine with that. I could easily make a box made of solids for beginners but there would be no fine deformations possible (bumps, squash etc). Or I could make the box without retexturing capabilities, only recoloring. But what about professionals? My best friend is running an advertising agency and buying from Videohive. As I already said, my studio buys from Videohive. I bet there are many studios throughout the world who buy at Videohive. Why making the criteria for approval by catering to the beginners? It just seems odd. I’m curious to hear what the community thinks about this (not my template, I’m kinda sick of it already :)

Oh btw, I also added support for adding motion blur to the modified 3D footage by using an expensive RE:Vision plugin. It’s not needed at all, it’s just make-up. For animation to be smoother. I just wanted to make it as professional-friendly as possible. Beginners don’t need motion-blur or know what it is. So it now appears that I was wasting time. Really, shouldn’t the template be layered so it has options for beginners as well as pros? My template would work for beginners in terms that they could change colors but it also had added values for pros (which unfortunately require plugins which pros know how to install).

I’m not hurt that my template is rejected. What’s hurting me is that I’m supposed to make my templates without all the cool stuff that I could add and enjoy adding. It seems natural for me that people would appreciate additional functions. Now, many of my cool ideas that I had in mind for Videohive are rejected in advance. Retexturing really adds insane amount of possibilities for templates.

Sorry for such a long post and thanx for reading. I’m kinda flabbergasted :D

PS I bet that even a beginner would easily follow the step-by-step tutorial I wrote: LINK: Download PDF from Sendspace

144 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
expressodesign says

I think that if you upload two .aep project in the same .zip file, one with the plugin and the other without it (only with the recoloring possibility) it should be accepted. In this way, the professionality of your template (I like it! well done) and also the simplicity for the beginner are kept.

I don’t agree when a template is rejected simply for using an uncommon plugin. If it’s clear in the description and the buyer doesn’t have the plugin, he can contact the author and ask to personalize it for him/her. Or they can buy it, it’s cheaper that the common plugin, isn’t it?

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
bocaraton says

Hey, thanks! That’s a god idea. The reviewer and support guys didn’t mention that possibility. Great, I’ll make a few prerendered boxes with various paper-wrapping for beginners and include another project for pro’s so they can put their logos etc.

I’m new here so I don’t yet get it what’s allowed or not. So I can have two or more .aeps in the zip, great. Maybe I missed that info when I read about the upload process.

Thanx a lot and I’m glad you like it.

7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I don’t agree when a template is rejected simply for using an uncommon plugin.

The problem with plugins is that the reviewer needs to have them to be able to review the item. he can’t give the item green light without check if it works and he can’t buy every plugin out there just because someone used that plugin in his item.

So, probably if you use some plugin that at least one reviewer owns then you can get your item reviewed else you are out.

144 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
expressodesign says

I don’t agree when a template is rejected simply for using an uncommon plugin.

The problem with plugins is that the reviewer needs to have them to be able to review the item. he can’t give the item green light without check if it works and he can’t buy every plugin out there just because someone used that plugin in his item.

So, probably if you use some plugin that at least one reviewer owns then you can get your item reviewed else you are out.

Hi Doru

what you say makes sense, maybe a solution could be asking Videohive to publish an “official” list of plugins that they allow, in order for us to know which plugins to use and which are off-limits? We’ve been looking in the support section but couldn’t find anything related to that. There are so many fun plugins out there that could be used to enrich our projects, but that could also cause a soft-reject and it’s a pity… how are we supposed to know what plugins the reviewer has installed?

7576 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

great idea!

flagged your comment for staff reply so they see this and maybe update the support section. this will make the authors and reviewers life better

by
by
by
by
by
by