12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
3io says

Hi we are 3iothemes, we have made a great design for the Magento section that will not pass review, and i am looking for some comments on our design. Please take a minute to really understand this post and checkout our theme

We have spend hours and hours to make a very special theme for a very special community that has a great concept, stands out, is unique in design and has lots of features that have never been implemented by any of the other authors in the Magento section.

The theme has been seen by some of our friends, colleagues, the competition and clients and they are stoked about the theme, and cant wait to see it on Themeforest, we never got any negative comments and we asked them to be very honest, one of our colleagues even said that its a game changer and will probably make other authors think outside the box too.

This is our demo landing page

Here are some of the features that i am talking about:
  • Unique design with persistent Newsletter Form, Persistent Notifier and HTML5 Video > link
  • Unique footer design with country selector (JavaScript)
  • Dual Catalog, Springs/Summer and Fall/Winter, they are root categories that can be removed in theme settings when using a single catalog to minimize the header
  • B2B functionality > link
  • Layered navigation with Color and Size swatches > link
  • Color and Size swatches on the product page with full screen zoom > link
  • Build in Storelocator > link
  • Build in Newsblog > link
  • Extremely optimized for mobile devices with infield placeholders to give a app like experience and completely different layouts

I don’t think its would be appropriate to start moaning about the reviewer here, its just not my style, nobody is perfect and we are only human.

Here are the soft rejection reason:
  1. Soft Rejected

Reason: 1. Your file has some well done design concepts, however it does not meet the current and very stringent quality guidelines and we can not accept your file at this time. You will need to make some additional improvements in overall aesthetics and aspects such as typography, graphics and spacing. 2. There are a few inconsistent spacing issues throughout the design. 3. Overall typography needs additional refinements and improvements before it will be ready for sale. 4. Even with the current design, a significant increase in the polish of the various aspects of the template may just swing the decision in your favor.

Posted April 16, 2013

2. Soft Rejected

Reason: The design still looks simplistic and plain. You will need to put more work on it. – Difficult to read: http://d.pr/i/E0ec > http://d.pr/i/452C The header looks messy. There is no visual hierarchy, proximity or alignment to suggest content relationships. > http://d.pr/i/mZg1 > http://d.pr/i/eH1z Contains apparently trademarked names or assets (logos, etc) not adhering to our content policy. Please see http://support.envato.com for more information. Please keep in mind that the issues mentioned above may not be all the issues that need to be improved or fixed. You should review your submission to ensure any additional issues not listed above have been fixed before resubmitting.

Posted April 26, 2013

3. Soft Rejected Reason: I’m sorry but the earlier review stands. I’m not seeing sufficient improvements here. Your template does not provide a unique enough design with the necessary design quality, features and options to compete in the marketplace at this time. As higher quality templates become available in the marketplace, approval requirements will increase to maintain appropriate marketplace quality. While I’d be able to provide feedback as to how to get this approved, I can only do after it has crossed a certain threshold, quality wise. I’m sorry to say this isn’t there yet.

Posted 2 hours ago

Some of the reasons given in soft rejection 2 are not fair, there are numerous themes on this marketplace that passed review that have in fact same issues (trademarked names) but i am not gonna point them out because that would be childish and it is not in our character to do so.

I think that everyone here is aware of the fact that developing a Magento theme is not something you do overnight, its very time consuming, and it takes a lot of skills, I honestly think that we did enough if I compare it with some of the themes that are currently up for sale if not more…...

We worked on this theme for 3 months, and trying to get it approved for the last 4 weeks now, its has come up to a point where I would have to downsize the company and that’s never a fun thing.

One other thing regarding the hours spend on this theme and please correct me if I am wrong please but i think I speak for the whole community here.

Themes are never faultless, however I would like to see different levels on review implemented withing Themeforest or any other Envato marketplace for that matter.

I also think the reviewer should have expert knowledge about eCommerce and understand how a store should work, understand what is added value and he or she should also take the development level of a theme in consideration and not review a Magento theme as Psd or html or WordPress.

Feedback would be really appreciated. :)
538 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
+3 more
LubosVolovar says

Hi. One big thing – typography ! Stop using condensed font for almost avery text on page, it is barely readable. I know that developing for Magento is very hard, but without HQ design you don’t have a chance to be approved doesn’t matter how great your backend is. So either hire skilled designer or put more effort to your design. It doesn’t mean that it looks bad, but it is not good enough. But as I sadi, improving the typography can do a lot of good. Good luck

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says
You do have quite a lot of issues. You’re lucky to get soft rejected.

• Typography
  • Can’t see the input boxes
  • Navigation is awful
  • Shopping box hover is broken
  • Shopping box icon is blurry (I’m not even on retina)
  • The website doesn’t make sense at all as a sales website.
  • Spacing issues everywhere
21 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
loveday10 says

Typography and navigation are letting this down for me pal.

As @PhantasiaAeterna mentioned, condensed font in cases can be poorly used, especially for general content areas.

Navigation doesn’t fit in at all well with the overall theme. Improve this as a priority.

by
by
by
by
by
by