3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+10 more
ThomGeskin says

Hi guys, from time to time, we see some very useful threads here in the forums, filled with interesting software questions and killer tips, for Photoshop, Illustrator, and many others. Since they are not directly related to GraphicRiver, they often end up in the Off Topic section, mixed with a whole bunch of other off topic subjects.

My question is, would it be interesting and useful to create an additional category, maybe called Software, or even Technical, where only software and technical-related threads can go?

I know there are tutorials all over the internet, but since we already have many helpful threads, with contributions from many different professionals, why not have them all in one place for easy access?

For example, here’s one: http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/ps-q-a-tips-trick/38474

I’d like hear your opinion, as this would potentially only benefit forum users. Maybe we could brainstorm the pros and cons of such implementation.

2098 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Best moustache of Envato's Movember Australia contest
+12 more
DarkstarDesigns says

I think it would be a great it it would clear up the graphics river section of the forum and save staff the time of moving things.

But on the other hand i have not seen a huge amount of these thread it would be more useful to make an achievements section to the forum where people say “just got my red paw” and so on as these these thread are very common

More important aspect of the forum should be sorted be for tackling a small issue like this, that’s just my 2 cents. :)

3197 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+10 more
ThomGeskin says

Thanks for the feedback DarkstarDesigns. I personally still can’t see how an achievement section could ever possibly be more useful than tips and how-to’s. If you say more popular, then unfortunately I’d have to agree, but useful, in my point of view, not by a long shot. Well, I guess it’s up to how each one looks at it. There is no right or wrong here.

Since we are brainstorming, let’s say that by introducing a knowledge-oriented section, it could motivate people towards learning and teaching, instead of the usual paw-talk. While talking about your own achievements can be good for motivation, getting used to depending on it as a constant source of belonging and self-affirmation, might do more damage than good in the long run.

In the real world, there’s not much room and tolerance for this kind of behavior, and since the majority of authors here are still so young and most have little collective work experience, this constant praising might not be the best way to get them started.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying threads about achievements are bad and should not exist, I just think that creating a section for it might not be the best priority.

It continues to be my belief that by setting high standards, and striving towards higher goals and purposes, we can improve and evolve as a truly unique and intelligent community, focusing on knowledge, technique, and skills first, instead of popularity. But on the other hand, ultimately, it always ends up going in the way the majority wants it, which is not a bad thing either. Happiness and well-being should never be oppressed.

I feel that as long as we have people defending both sides of the coin, balance will prevail, no matter which way we choose to go. So yes, thanks for your feedback and I hope more people will join the conversation as well.

The intention of this thread was not to make a comparison between one or more possible sections, since each has their own positives and negatives, but lets see how it goes and what direction it takes. Cheers.

by
by
by
by
by
by