4335 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+11 more
Reaper-Media Volunteer moderator says

Guys, most of us know the annoyance of constant threads started about exposure time on the homepage, mainly complaints about how little time some people get. I myself have experienced only a couple of hours on the homepage, and can understand peoples annoyance. What’s really disheartening is when people are saying they are considering other marketplaces just because of this. I know we have the best review time and exposure compared to quite a few sites, but I also think that this site could do with a few improvements.

Now I have already posted this solution on another thread, but I think it isn’t a bad idea to create a dedicated thread to this possible solution, any feedback on the idea is welcome. :) So here’s the solution:

The rest of the site stays as normal including how often reviewers review files and how the files are displayed in the categories, this only affects the recent items ok?

So, the site should have a cached recent items list, which is recached every hour or so (an interval which envato set). There will also be a variable that envato set that specifies the minimum time that an item has on the homepage (for arguments sake let’s say they set it to 24 hours, and also we need to bear in mind that the minimum amount of time that an item stays on the homepage for will decrease as envato grows and more items get reviewed and accepted, otherwise the recent items won’t really be that… Recent. )

Anyway, everytime this list is recached, it checks all the items in the list (for admin curiosity, the list is probably best ordered time-wise, the items which have been on the homepage longer will be nearer the top) and if the system comes accross an item that has been listed for the minimum time or longer, it checks to see whether there are any more items avaliable which haven’t yet been on the homepage, and if there is one, it removes the file (which has been there for a while) from the list and adds the new item to the bottom.

I hope I have made this clear enough :)

This system, should envato choose to accept it, is actually not a hard system to implement at all. And I have to admit, I’m thinking about how to write it in psuedo code as I’m writing this post. The system ensures that all items will get a fair amount of exposure so we can all relax with no more exposure complaint threads. :)

260 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ravenwill says
(for arguments sake let’s say they set it to 24 hours, and also we need to bear in mind that the minimum amount of time that an item stays on the homepage for will decrease as envato grows and more items get reviewed and accepted, otherwise the recent items won’t really be that… Recent. )

The only problem I can see with this is that surely as Envato gets larger, the exposure time may drop below 24 hours etc. Meaning that authors will have less exposure then they are getting now.

Otherwise +1 :)

4905 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Another potential drawback of this (assuming I’m understanding your concept) is that it means items may not display as soon as they are approved. So there would be a queue to be reviewed and a queue to be displayed. If the reviewers get ahead of the display time, a large backlog of approved files could grow beyond whats being displayed, which would lead to just as many posts about “how long before my item is displayed” as there is “how long before my item is reviewed” threads now.

I understand the concept of changing the display time based on site size, but between adjustments this situation could happen daily.

3868 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
flashjunkie says
Another potential drawback of this (assuming I’m understanding your concept) is that it means items may not display as soon as they are approved. So there would be a queue to be reviewed and a queue to be displayed. If the reviewers get ahead of the display time, a large backlog of approved files could grow beyond whats being displayed, which would lead to just as many posts about “how long before my item is displayed” as there is “how long before my item is reviewed” threads now. I understand the concept of changing the display time based on site size, but between adjustments this situation could happen daily.

+1

replacing one queue with two queues is not a solution to me

4335 posts
+11 more

Hmm ok… But at least each item will get an equal amount of exposure… :) but what you guys are saying is true aswell, hmm… I guess the site will never be perfect.

260 posts
+4 more
ravenwill says

Maybe what Reaper Media suggests could be implemented if the recent items section could scroll back like the featured items does.

This way items that are still on frontpage and have exposure time left would stay there but if the user clicked the right arrow it would show “upcoming” files that were approved but just waiting to display on frontpage.

This way they would still be accessible and in some ways getting more exposure time, as they would have time in the upcoming section and then there alotted time on frontpage too.

4335 posts
+11 more
Maybe what Reaper Media suggests could be implemented if the recent items section could scroll back like the featured items does.

This way items that are still on frontpage and have exposure time left would stay there but if the user clicked the right arrow it would show “upcoming” files that were approved but just waiting to display on frontpage.

This way they would still be accessible and in some ways getting more exposure time, as they would have time in the upcoming section and then there alotted time on frontpage too.

I like that! :) +1

128 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GeertDD says

I’ve only skimmed over your replies, but I think the best way to overcome homepage exposure is to make sure your files come up with the applicable search keywords. The new design has put the searchbox more in the spotlight, which is very good. Of course, I can’t prove anything with statistics, but my guess is that most buyers stumble upon your files via search, definitely now that the category list is hidden in a flyout menu.

And, trying to get more followers, also a new feature, will also help to get your files longer on the homepage.

147 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
mediaconcierge says

Solutions, complains etc …. I reply in here as in other threads .. what’s all about that exposure ? People seem in NEED to be seen. “bla bla my item is not in the “recent items” So who gives a ** ? I think it’s not Envato’s philosophy at all. Are you all in need of money ? So get a job. In my point of view you all take this to seriously ! Enjoy art , do it and live it. If you can make some potential budget with it , so rock it , don’t complain ! If not , do more !

3748 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says
Are you all in need of money ? So get a job. In my point of view you all take this to seriously ! Enjoy art , do it and live it. If you can make some potential budget with it , so rock it , don’t complain ! If not , do more !

Wonderful. I would kiss you if you were not in the dark side :P

by
by
by
by
by
by