• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I am pretty sure this is a big task for devs and since they’re occupied with bigger issues now, thats probably a reason why videohive still doesn’t have those. A very simple solution for them (matter of day or two work i’m sure) is to simply add a new field in upload queue where the author can optionally (not obligatory) add a lower res, 320×240 flv, 5~6 seconds file. Preview is either 590×300 image or this rollover video. This is i am pretty sure not a big problem for devs to make. I would like to hear someone from staff to comment about this.

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

good idea!

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Ah…that old chestnut.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Only problem is, I’m beginning to doubt there’s a will.

Something tells me their worry might be bandwidth. But if it’s done right, I don’t see why it should be too much bigger than the current load from serving the much bigger previews.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Hahaha, pretty funny because this just came up again in one of our management calls. It’s a feature we have all wanted here for quite some time (both the community and staff). But when the Marketplace app was first built, it wasn’t built with video in mind. It was a Flash marketplace that got ported to work with the other marketplaces that we have. The developers have done a GREAT deal of work in the last few years on the back-end to split systems apart and move in a direction that would allow for features like this but it’s just not there yet. I don’t quite know specifics, but there’s a number of factors in play preventing us from flipping the switch. Again, it is something we all want and we’re working to make it happen. I know you all hate hearing “it’s in the pipeline” but this one really is.

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

Something tells me their worry might be bandwidth.

actually this feature could save bandwidth quite a lot. If you are able to see a 5 second loop preview at a small dimension and is not what you want then you will not open the item page + the big video player.

If someone watch five seconds of the normal preview and then he close the page, depending of his net connection, the whole video had already finished downloading for nothing.

The main problem that I see is converting all the existing videos to get that five second cut for the small preview. That could cost some resources. But if envato implements this for the new items and ask authors to update the past items it can be done.

For the new items is no problem but to update the past items you need to pay reviewer for the additional work.

Actually building this functionality should not be an issue

2254 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Something tells me their worry might be bandwidth.

actually this feature could save bandwidth quite a lot. If you are able to see a 5 second loop preview at a small dimension and is not what you want then you will not open the item page + the big video player.

If someone watch five seconds of the normal preview and then he close the page, depending of his net connection, the whole video had already finished downloading for nothing.

The main problem that I see is converting all the existing videos to get that five second cut for the small preview. That could cost some resources. But if envato implements this for the new items and ask authors to update the past items it can be done.

For the new items is no problem but to update the past items you need to pay reviewer for the additional work.

Actually building this functionality should not be an issue

No converting at all! That’s what I wrote in the first post. It’s very easy actually:

- Anyone who wants small video rollover has to upload a new file (for new and old templates), so this is optional

- No need for reviewers to check these, since it’s like a 590×300 image

- @Mark, the files can be the same format (flv), like these now, so there is no need for inventing hot water

Only thing the devs would have to do is to add another upload feature, and to set a program when users hower over the file, instead of showing 590×300 image, to show a small video which was uploaded by a user….

if (template has small video preview){ start video rollover} else{show 590x300 image} default:590x300 image

I really cannot see what’s the problem with this. You said some time ago, that would everything be automated, and I do see a big technical problem there, that’s why I think this solution is the best. For envato and for authors too (I’m sure).

423 posts butlerm.com
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Beta Tester
+9 more
butlerm says

Last month I asked on the podcast this question and they said that it is VERY FAR away from being worked on as they have a lot more important and bigger market places that they are focusing on right now. So my guess is we won’t see a change in 2012

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Last month I asked on the podcast this question and they said that it is VERY FAR away from being worked on as they have a lot more important and bigger market places that they are focusing on right now. So my guess is we won’t see a change in 2012

I already gave up hoping for it long ago.

Which are the biggest marketplaces now? Themeforest… then what? Code Canyon? Photodune? I’ve no idea. Where does VH actually rank? ...it must be relatively high up.

2254 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Look at this example: 9 seconds of 320×180 flv file (700kbps,audio 128) – 1mb

(about 2-3 seconds to download for average internet speed) + It looks very decent.

Check it out here and tell me how much time you need to play it: link

487 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Slovakia
+1 more
DoubleX says

@EFEKT started playing about 1 second after opening the page. This would be nice on VH…would be…

by
by
by
by
by
by