859 posts Nicely done
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+9 more
MotionRevolver Envato team says

Look at this example: 9 seconds of 320×180 flv file (700kbps,audio 128) – 1mb

(about 2-3 seconds to download for average internet speed) + It looks very decent.

Check it out here and tell me how much time you need to play it: link

I don’t think the issue is load time or bandwidth. If it was as easy as linking an .flv to play within a rollover, I’m pretty sure they would have implemented it already.

There’s obviously other, more complicated coding or infrastructure issues behind the video rollovers than we video people are able to wrap our brains around. Let’s leave it to the professionals.

It’d be a cool feature to have, and would allow customers to preview clips much faster and easier, but would it improve sales? I’m not so sure…

1620 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

I am actualy against it. The main and probably only thing is that you wount see the beauty of video if you watch it on mini-little-piece-of-shitty-rollover AND the sound… Will the sound play as rollover opens up? and if the rollover will be not obligatory then there will be a mess. Some with picture some with small video. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but I like it more as it is.

2353 posts Small, but tough
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I am actualy against it. The main and probably only thing is that you wount see the beauty of video if you watch it on mini-little-piece-of-shitty-rollover AND the sound… Will the sound play as rollover opens up? and if the rollover will be not obligatory then there will be a mess. Some with picture some with small video. I don’t know. Maybe it’s just me but I like it more as it is.

Yes it would have sound. If the user likes mini-little-piece-of-sh*-rollover, he/she will open the template to see the full video. If you don’t like it, you leave 590×300 image, and everyone is happy.

590 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+9 more
flashato says

More than rollover I would love to see a better player, w/option to choose diff size,trigger user connection speed, and different format.flv,mp4.
The player we have actually is a “little” out of date for today’s web standard, and envato’s capability.
But as always,
Peace and Patience :silly:

1620 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

Yes it would have sound. If the user likes mini-little-piece-of-sh*-rollover, he/she will open the template to see the full video. If you don’t like it, you leave 590×300 image, and everyone is happy.

Yeap, thats what I mean. Absolutely agree. “If the user likes mini-little-piece-of-sh-rollover, he/she will open the template”. And that little video will never represent the whole normal video of at least 640×360. so if the vid looks crap without bigger res the item is forgoten.

4908 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

With regards to what Motion Revolver said, yes if we were a small site without very many users we could probably grab some off the shelf video pop-out script and slap it on there. But the Marketplaces are actually more like an app (Ruby). One that has a very intricate back end where even the smallest change can negatively effect MANY different aspects, from performance issues all the way up to actually breaking things. Whenever a feature is implemented, a lot of work needs to be done to ensure that it will not only work, but it will work well within the current scheme of things, and that it will also scale well. Finding a solution like that is not as cookie cutter as it may seem. Believe me.

I used to think it was going to be a simple thing, and fought for it quite hard. But when we met up with the team in Chicago, John (Lead Developer at the time) did a presentation about how the marketplaces work from a developers perspective. I think the talk lasted 2 hours, and probably could have went on for many more. To say that things are more complicated than they may seem would be an understatement. Trust me when I say that we want this feature badly as well, and had it been a simple script or addon, it would have happened years ago.

by
by
by
by
by
by