• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
SachaG says

I recently wrote an article about making money designing themes on Six Revisions, and had a nice talk with Kriesi in the comments.

Basically he was saying that support is taking more and more of an author’s time, to the point where it’s 30% development and 70% support.

I was thinking about the problem, and wondering if a solution could be offering paid support. For example, buyers could pay a monthly fee and get access to a private support forum. But the downside is that once buyer start paying for support, they might feel entitled to it and start asking even more questions.

An easier way would be simply replacing item comments by individual item support forums. Currently, nobody is going to read through 10 pages of comments to see if their question has already been answered, so you end up having to repeat yourself a lot.

Outsourcing support could also be a solution. For example, someone could provide some support for an author’s theme for a monthly fee, or for a “per question” fee.

As themes (and Wordpress as well) get more and more features. What’s more, Wordpress-savvy users are probably already well aware of Themeforest, so we can assume that new buyers are more often than not going to be Wordpress beginners. So I think user’s support needs will only grow bigger, and I hope we can find a solution soon!

2322 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Kriesi did posted a thread about this ;)

1860 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says
Kriesi did posted a thread about this ;)

Where Mark? I can’t find it :)

@Sacha: Nice article man, very good read.

@all: Any experience with outsourcing support? That seams like a good solution.

2322 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
CreativeMilk says
3670 posts Community Moderator
  • Netherlands
  • Community Moderator
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Joost Volunteer moderator says

A solution could be to make the 70% of your time you spend on support worth it. It’s a simple bit of economics – when there’s a high demand, you can raise the price (or start charging for smaller bits of support). :P

1182 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
campolar says

Time = money.

Anything which could be solved within 5 mins, i’ll do for free. If he/she needs something more than 5 mins, i’ll charge them my rate. Or forward them to another freelancer who understands what he’s doing :)

2436 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

Has any of the big authors here tried to use a forum on their site for suport AND make people want to give each other support?

Yes, I’m talking about Game Mechanics (nice read on SixRevisions too)

After all, that’s exactly what Envato is relying on here in the marketplaces with all the badges, aren’t they? :)

1860 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says
Did your forgot to use your glasses?? :P here http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/so-you-know-how-to-customize-a-template-and-want-to-make-some-money/24795

I’ve got them on :nerdy: but that’s a thread where Kriesi is looking for devs who can customize his themes for his buyers for their money. (Kriesi doesn’t have time for freelancing anymore) He is not looking for a guy who will be given a let’s say % of Kriesi’s account earnings for handling the general support requests ;) (that’s what was meant by the ‘outsourcing’) Or I am wrong and I should put on double glasses? :D

374 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
_rohan says
I’ve got them on :nerdy: but that’s a thread where Kriesi is looking for devs who can customize his themes for his buyers for their money. (Kriesi doesn’t have time for freelancing anymore) He is not looking for a guy who will be given a let’s say % of Kriesi’s account earnings for handling the general support requests ;) (that’s what was meant by the ‘outsourcing’) Or I am wrong and I should put on double glasses? :D

I think kriesi has some job for support. 60 hours a month or something like that..

3135 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Won a Competition
Daniel_R says

Hey guys!

I know support can take a long time for many authors. A couple of days ago I emailed a couple of top authors (that were creating a support forum) with a proposal. Maybe you find it interesting.

My proposal basically is to assist you as the site manager (a partnership) of the support forum, where I will be concentrating my work in offering support to your clients.

I have a couple of ideas and lately I’ve been giving free support to a bunch of TF customers trying to collect the most commons questions and problems customers face. One good thing of a support forum is let same users help themselves (as it happens in the forums here where active members reply to questions, etc)

Most of the ideas I have need a real scenario to be tested and implemented so if any of you guys are spending so much time on support and are planning a forum. shoot me an email and let’s talk if any chance for a partnership.

What I’m looking for? I don’t want any money or commission, etc. I want the chance to learn more about WP and other platforms, learn how to help customers, etc. Learn more from you (author) and to come out with a solution that eventually may become a product / service for other authors facing the support problem / time.

Thanks for reading and have an awesome day guys!

by
by
by
by
by
by