3256 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

If it is a new author doing this Envato only gets 20% cut from the sale. If it is an experienced author with 70% payment rate then Envato gets nothing and author looses no money from this practice.

As pixelenity says – that’s another argument against current rating system. The rating system needs to go.

How did you make this calculation? If you buy your own items they will cost you from 30% to 50% of the price (the envato share), so nothing would be for free…

Parker

741 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Orbital_Themes says

If it is a new author doing this Envato only gets 20% cut from the sale. If it is an experienced author with 70% payment rate then Envato gets nothing and author looses no money from this practice.

As pixelenity says – that’s another argument against current rating system. The rating system needs to go.

How did you make this calculation? If you buy your own items they will cost you from 30% to 50% of the price (the envato share), so nothing would be for free…

Parker
There’s 30% for affiliate sale. :) Now you have it, everyone will be doing this. Maybe this will be enough for marketplace staff to remove the rating system. :)
213 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
themelux says

Parker
There’s 30% for affiliate sale. :) Now you have it, everyone will be doing this. Maybe this will be enough for marketplace staff to remove the rating system. :)

I agree, I think the rating system should only be for rating and letting others know that they’re happy with the item.

4643 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

All this based on assumptions :O .. I don’t even think ratings make that much of a difference anyways.. top selling file for the week is 4 star.. just saying.. will a rating on new file sell better just because it has a rating? don’t think so… what about the other angle where it might be selling and rated early because its a good file?

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

Parker

Yes, the affiliate 30% is only on the first deposit… you need a brand new account for each purchase… too much work and not worthed.

1002 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

If it is a new author doing this Envato only gets 20% cut from the sale. If it is an experienced author with 70% payment rate then Envato gets nothing and author looses no money from this practice. As pixelenity says – that’s another argument against current rating system. The rating system needs to go.

This. If you’re elite, just create account from your refferal – you’ll get 30% of first deposit and rest goes to your account – Envato makes nothing – you have 5 stars.

It pisses me off to be honest – I usually get the first 3 ratings after 60-80 purchases, and certainly never before 40. It’s not “clever marketing”, it’s just the opposite of fair play to do this.

353 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
kops says

All this based on assumptions :O .. I don’t even think ratings make that much of a difference anyways.. top selling file for the week is 4 star.. just saying.. will a rating on new file sell better just because it has a rating? don’t think so… what about the other angle where it might be selling and rated early because its a good file?

Well it’s not really assumptions is it as no theme is realistically going to get 5×5* ratings in the first hour of release.

Ratings make a big difference to the new buyer who arrives and sees that day’s new releases, all with zero or one sales and then a single theme in the middle with 6 or 7 sales and a five star rating. It stands out like a diamond in the rough. I’m bring it up because it’s a shitty practice and only benefits those low enough to stoop to it.

btw – the theme that pulled the stunt this morning has more than doubled its ‘sales’, so it seems ratings do work.

4643 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

btw – the theme that pulled the stunt this morning has more than doubled its ‘sales’, so it seems ratings do work.

Haha ok? But that doesn’t mean anything… The file is just selling well period. And it happened to get rated early. It just takes 3 buyers to rate five stars… why does that seem impossible? Because statically it doesn’t happen that like that? Maybe he sent a messages to his buyers saying please rate five stars during the support process…. I’ve done that :D

I think it’s a little bit unfair to the author because no one is giving him the benefit of the doubt. You can’t really tell for sure.

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

For my 4 years experience here, you get a rating every 12/15 sales… just sometime you get a rating with less sales… I’m seeing this trend on 99% of themes.

That some autors are buying some licenses to give good ratings to their files is just a fact, to easy to do, really easy. But, in my opinion, totally useless…

Parker

3256 posts
+9 more
ParkerAndKent says

double post

by
by
by