49 posts creative.performance
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
mediacreed says

Hi guys,

From my experience on activeden.net 5-15 sales = 1 rating.

On themeforest i’ve just got only 1 item and the results are simillar ( we have to consider that this market is a much bigger one) 7-8 sales = 1 rating.

Cheers,
Mediacreed

4665 posts Love & Light
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

This is why something needs to be done about the recent files. home page exposure.. it’s so value that a few gold stars too soon causes a massive out cry :D this is what it has become.. a few years ago no one cared about ratings, good files got sales, authors made money – everyone was happy… now everyone’s hopes and dreams relies on the first 24hrs of sales, and we carefully watching what other authors are up to and drawing up conclusions and pointing fingers if we spot something suspicious that doesn’t follow the general trend.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Wether people “buy” their own ratings or not really isn’t the point in the end. Basically after almost 5 years of being here I’ve heard it all, seen it all, and seen the promises given and the disappointments delivered. I’m not here to agree or disagree with anyone, the simple fact is the marketplaces have grown, that’s what Envato wanted and worked towards and good for them.

The real situation is this, Envato have always stated that front page exposure should never be counted as promotion for accelerating sales in anyway, and that if an item is good it will sell and that home page exposure has nothing to do with sales (authors know different). I do agree that a good item will sell, but if you still use the same format for displaying new items (and put focus on it on your home page) when the number of authors and items and categories has grown so much over the years they should of changed the GUI focus for finding items a LONG time ago.

I personally remember when things got a little busier and they redesigned and everyone complained so they increased the number of items displayed, then added tabs for categories etc – it was a bandaid at best.

What the marketplaces need is a complete overhaul, it doesn’t work and sorry Envato while you have a prominent area on your main home page that details / showcases new items your doing everyone a disservice.

Here’s my thoughts on what it SHOULD be:

The home page needs to be more search based design, it should be a big search box and a PROPER search engine to back it up so anyone can come to the site and enter “church” and click WordPress and then display the results automatically with newest at the top (user can then filter by sales, date added etc) – under the big search on the homepage should be a random pull of 1 item from each category. Nice, clean, direct, and no focus on any item, category, date uploaded, or sales reached thus far.

I love this place, I’ve seen it grow and helped it grow by allowing Envato to sell my items and earn from me and vice versa, it’s a great business relationship, but from where I sit I see me constantly improving my products, features and support and see little effort from Envato in improving their sites to assist sales and growth of their sites. It disappoints me greatly and I know that if they don’t start to move towards making changes soon there are new opportunities for authors coming up all the time. They may be king of the hill right now (and have been for some time) but the higher you are the easier it is to fall. Please don’t let this happen Envato. Start to reinvest in your authors and buyers, by improving everyones experience here.

Jonathan

194 posts Dreams Money Can Buy
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
SwiftIdeas says

+10000 for that ^^ ..

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

+1 Jonathan. We need some changes, the mods updating that “we’ll forward them to the devs” is not enough. The latest changes were…the possibility to order the badges(useless), adding the “Upload an item” box on the author dashboard like we upload something everyday. Or converting that page to a little spam-like page, with the ad at the top related to the bundle or some big announcements. Most of the authors don’t care at all about it and just want to see the comments. We know where to upload an item. The goal of this was to probably have more items, which is what you have now, but it’s a big FAIL . Lots of low-quality items, I’ve seen rip-offs, one accepted even this week, still online. That’s pretty bad.

You say that a good theme sells even if it dissapears from the homepage or the first page in 3 days. Tell me…HOW? The buyers will not see it, it will dissapear pretty quick from the homepage / page 1 and that’s it. No way to reach it and most of the buyers will probably miss it. This is not good at all.

We have more important features we need implemented. The rating system, a better support board so we don’t have to build our own, a better homepage exposure for the items, etc, they were all posted here.

Let’s hope that if most of the authors will take action, someone will actually listen to us.

4665 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

“Popular recent files” on the home..

How it works: 10 row of items, which takes the top recent sellers within a particular time frame, say 2 weeks. Files appear in ascending order of sales which is also based when the file was purchased. So if both top files got 10 sales, the file who got the 10th sale first appears first. Once a file in this row reaches the time period window of 2 weeks it disappears. This row could update within every hour, so would be fun to watch new files battling it out. And make it easier for buyers to see what’s selling, and help gain exposure to new files so they can compete with files already on the main popular files page.

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

“Popular recent files” on the home.. How it works: 10 row of items, which takes the top recent sellers within a particular time frame, say 2 weeks. Files appear in ascending order of sales which is also based when the file was purchased. So if both top files got 10 sales, the file who got the 10th sale first appears first. Once a file in this row reaches the time period window of 2 weeks it disappears. This row could update within every hour, so would be fun to watch new files battling it out. And make it easier for buyers to see what’s selling, and help gain exposure to new files so they can compete with files already on the main popular files page.

It’s a good idea but puts focus on nothing but higher selling files (and sales figures) which makes for a non balanced selling platform – we need people to ‘explore’ and currently the marketplaces are not exploration based.

Exposure for everyone is the #1 goal, so that buyers can then make a decision on what an item offers them, rather than what’s thrown in their face.

Jonathan

4665 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

Yeh but if Envato fundementaly changed how this site worked, and improved search so it was much easier to find older files, or files that aren’t necessarily top sellers.. it would most likely have a big knock on effect to sales of the top guys.. then that would be another out cry ;) Also I’m sure Envato would rather choose to keep their top sellers happy, since they bring in a big chunk of revenue.

The search is indeed needing some improvement though. But since home page exposure is so short and alot of buyers look there first before searching, any changes to search aren’t really going to make a massive change to the new sellers… but I do think we need something else, like my suggestion of ‘popular recent items’ row on the home, to bridge the gap between homepage exposure and main popular files page.

1525 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Anps says

Wondering wondering if the big brother is watching :)

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
CLINE123 says

I may be in the minority but I don’t ever look at the homepage, my bookmark is set to the Wordpress category.

by
by
by
by
by
by