4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says
1729 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says

You guys made an awesome marketplace, awesome forum, awesome everything, yet, the most basic of needs, meaning PHP for our files is not implemented? Why? I mean … How come this matter hasn’t been handled in such way that authors can add PHP to their files?
the no php rule is fully understandable and can’t be removed
we can’t ask reviewers to (also) check php code for security holes.

I’m sure PHP is there but disabled. Security. You don’t want to see envato markets hacked do you? Would you trust in EVERYONE who uploads a file with php script in it? It’s not the reviewers’ job to look for code vulnerabilities. Even a good file can have some vulnerabilites. And the stakes are high, if you get in a little hole big parts of the market can be exposed.. I’m perfectly fine with how this is addressed :)

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

I’m sure PHP is there but disabled.
i don’t think so since files are hosted on amazon S3
1729 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
Firsh says

I’m sure PHP is there but disabled.
i don’t think so since files are hosted on amazon S3

Don’t know the specifics about that but it’s something like hosting for files in great volume? Is that static?

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Don’t know the specifics about that but it’s something like hosting for files in great volume? Is that static?
cloud storage
7791 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

if the php file preview (or even normal flash) could stay on author website, then we could use whatever image preview we want, like on themeforest :)

2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

Good post Marco. I hope my files do well in the review. I need them to be hosted on my server, because I can’t fake a counter. And faking a counter will really make my buyers not want to buy them in the first place. The see the counter broken and we have to take into consideration people that act before reading descriptions…

For the rest, totally agree with everything! :)

P.S. – LoL don’t stop reviewing I’m second in queue :( ( joking :D )

I doubt that self-hosting would be allowed for a file just because it contains a counter. That functionality is trivial compared to the overall functionality of the template. Even more trivial than a contact form. And if any author is genuinely worried that faked functionality, while fully explained in the description a may still impact sales, then they can add the explanation to the preview itself. (And anyway a counter could probably be faked to appear to work correctly by using shared objects -) )

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Good post Marco. I hope my files do well in the review. I need them to be hosted on my server, because I can’t fake a counter. And faking a counter will really make my buyers not want to buy them in the first place. The see the counter broken and we have to take into consideration people that act before reading descriptions…

For the rest, totally agree with everything! :)

P.S. – LoL don’t stop reviewing I’m second in queue :( ( joking :D )

I doubt that self-hosting would be allowed for a file just because it contains a counter. That functionality is trivial compared to the overall functionality of the template. Even more trivial than a contact form. And if any author is genuinely worried that faked functionality, while fully explained in the description a may still impact sales, then they can add the explanation to the preview itself. (And anyway a counter could probably be faked to appear to work correctly by using shared objects -) )

Just asking Steve. And if my file is supposed to be a share system that counts the times of shares? And the customer or buyer wants to see that it works? If the system is faked and he refreshes the page, the numbers are back to the old ones, maybe making the buyer believe that the file is broken and also may be broken on his page if he buys it?

That’s why I self hosted it. Else, I would have gladly faked it. In this case, faking the preview, would kill sales.

Edit: I mean, why would you buy a counter , if you couldn’t see it work in the first place? :|

2309 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
theflyingtinman says

Just asking Steve. And if my file is supposed to be a share system that counts the times of shares? And the customer or buyer wants to see that it works? If the system is faked and he refreshes the page, the numbers are back to the old ones, maybe making the buyer believe that the file is broken and also may be broken on his page if he buys it?

That’s why I self hosted it. Else, I would have gladly faked it. In this case, faking the preview, would kill sales.

Edit: I mean, why would you buy a counter , if you couldn’t see it work in the first place? :|

Ah, I thought the file you were talking about was a template, with a view counter on it (which can easily be faked)

But in any case buyers here know that files are tested by reviewers, and that the few which do break when upload to Activeden servers are quickly flagged in the the item discussion by viewers and dealt with by support. I really do not believe that faking a counter would harm sales one bit, especially if you prominently state on the preview page that due to Activeden’s lack of server script support the numbers are not accurate in the preview.

Edit: I mean, why would you buy a counter , if you couldn’t see it work in the first place?

Same reason as why people buy electronics hardware etc from online stores without testing it in their hands. They trust the reputation of the seller and know that if they have a problem it will be resolved.

+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

Ah, I thought the file you were talking about was a template, with a view counter on it (which can easily be faked)

But in any case buyers here know that files are tested by reviewers, and that the few which do break when upload to Activeden servers are quickly flagged in the the item discussion by viewers and dealt with by support. I really do not believe that faking a counter would harm sales one bit, especially if you prominently state on the preview page that due to Activeden’s lack of server script support the numbers are not accurate in the preview.

Same reason as why people buy electronics hardware etc from online stores without testing it in their hands. They trust the reputation of the seller and know that if they have a problem it will be resolved.

Well, Then why are we allowed to host on our servers if we will get rejected anyway because we supposedly have to fake a file? Why not provide maximum quality and host the file on our servers? I mean… If I can and have the server, why not let me host my own file, and offer the maximum quality to the buyer, and that way I will get the my buyers to see the file work live in action ( like my other 2 like buttons that require a counter ) and maybe i’ll get a few extra sales. If the author does not have his own server, sure, I agree, fake the PHP , his problems, his sales, his reputation, but if the author has a server, and can provide that PHP , basically improving the quality of the file, and overall the marketplace itself, why not allow the author to raise the quality of his file to the top?

And with the number of broken previews lately and in the past few years, I truly and strongly believe that there are certain buyers here that came across a broken preview, and no longer want to deal with files that have broken previews. There are a lot of self hosted files and they are doing great, why is this a problem now? That’s what I fail to understand :(

Surely, I can give a tone of examples of companies with reviewers that I don’t trust, and yes, they have quality standards and people put in charge to check for them but I want to see the thing I’m about to buy working, before I’ll pay for it. And I know 2 of my buyers who buy files on AD on the same principle.

Are you seeing my point ? ( by the way, I’m not angry, frustrated or anything , I just want to understand why I have to destroy my file and loose potential sales when I can simply host it on my server and ensure a 100% fully functional preview of my file )

Yeah, and when everyone said Activeden is going to hell, I wanted to subscribe to that, now I do, if I resubmit my file, I will get put on hold until forever because I can’t provide 100% quality to my clients because I want to host on my server. So I have to destroy the file to please everyone. Very nice guys. Really. What next? Oh yeah, we all need to move to TF, because AD is no longer taken care of… I forgot :)

by
by
by
by
by
by