323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

So I thought I would upload a few graphics today but after my experience with the first one I don’t see any benifit in becoming an active member…let me explain the frustration. Here is an example of my first upload:

http://caodesigns.com/templates/northern-lights/images/fiery_bg.jpg
I was told that if I set it to 1680px, regardless of what kind of quality it was, that it will be priced at $1 (anything at less than 2000px). I don’t know if this is in place to make it easy for reviewers or what but come on that doesn’t make any sense….your telling me all graphics are created equally. I also asked that if I was to provide multiple colors would that increase the price any and I was told no unless each were different. So buyers will lose out here because there is no benifit in providing different options. Someone may say that the buyer can just do that themselves but not all buyers are capable of doing so. I recently purchased a background because I was curious how the author created it but I found out that it was flat so I wasn’t able to see anything. I understand why the image was flat because there is zero benifit for the author to provide layers. There are just way to many issues that need corrected for me to become an active author here. I will benifit much more by using this in a site of mine or a template for themeforest.

2201 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

Hey,

it seems that an error occurred in our communication. Your question directed towards me was whether or not the price would be higher if the image were 1680px instead of a smaller size. To that I replied that it wouldn’t. However there was no mention made of quality. We reward quality and complexity more than a bigger size. Flat based images are indicated on the item page to be flat (non layered). So no, not all graphics below 2000px are treated equally.

My apologies for the miscommunication.

323 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

Actually I created the image at something like 3800px x 2850px but realize that this is only going to be used for a web background (most likely). I had mentioned that I would drop it to 1680px because I didn’t want it priced at $6 (that is just a guess) either but I’m not comfortable creating graphics to be sold at $1. I’ve had a pretty good experience at the Envato marketplaces but I’m also vocal about issues which usually get worked out when they are brought to everyone’s attention. I apoligize for the thread then but when I seen in the email that all graphics under 2000px where priced at a $1 it made no sense that quality wasn’t considered. thanks for the reply.

699 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+10 more
segen says
Here is an example of my first upload:

http://caodesigns.com/templates/northern-lights/images/fiery_bg.jpg

Oh shadow, this is nice file You got there, could use a lot of people, especially for the web backgrounds or so.

I recently purchased a background because I was curious how the author created it but I found out that it was flat so I wasn’t able to see anything.

This is strange, shouldn’t all graphics be layered? It’s weird that You bought a flat background item. Was it full flattened?

1611 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
contempoinc says

I’ve got three files up so far and have been happy with the price points set, why not offer a simple 6 pack of backgrounds instead of the single? Your price point would probably be around $3 and it wouldn’t take much longer to knock out 5 more.

I agree selling items for a $1 from a authors perspective doesn’t make much sense as it would take forever to see any kind of return. But then again if you’ve got 20-30 items all at a dollar a piece and performing decently the returns would be decent, looking at bulk sales.

3221 posts Point. Counterpoint.
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+14 more
ADG3studios Envato team says
Why not offer a simple 6 pack of backgrounds instead of the single? Your price point would probably be around $3 and it wouldn’t take much longer to knock out 5 more.

That’s not a bad idea :)

659 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
luckykind says
Why not offer a simple 6 pack of backgrounds instead of the single? Your price point would probably be around $3 and it wouldn’t take much longer to knock out 5 more.

I did five and I was priced at $2… you’re saying if I picked another crayon out of the crayon box I could have made an extra buck?

suffering succotash…

2201 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
ArikB says

I did five and I was priced at $2… you’re saying if I picked another crayon out of the crayon box I could have made an extra buck?

suffering succotash…

The way we price packs is that we up the price if the files in the pack are different. Color variations don’t count because they are easily editable and it’s practically the same file. For instance, if somebody upload 5 different textures, then it gets priced like a pack. If somebody uploads 5 “spheres” each the same except one is red, the other is green etc. then we price it as a single file because it is just that, the same file. And we don’t want to overprice those files because it’s exactly those kinds of files that are so sensitive to slight increments in price. If you price spheres at let’s say…4 dollars instead of 2, the chances of the spheres being bought drop significantly.

Hope I clarified this for you. :)

4911 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I agree and understand with ArikB’s last statement. It makes complete sense.

529 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
AmandaHackwith says

Here’s how the pricing flow works in the back room. GraphicRiver prices items based on quality, size, and complexity (also taking into account documentation and other important features). We have a formula for this, so there’s very little wiggle room for reviewers. If the submissions includes multiple files with marketably significant differences, we have a formula for adding a percentage of the original price to it. Original price + additional price for multiple files = your pack’s price. Recoloring the same graphic work multiple times is not considered significant to the market at this time. As always, we try to balance value for the buyers and income for the authors.

by
by
by
by
by
by