667 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

I’m sure it can be done, and also I’m thinking that IF you give authors the choice to add discount coupons, assuming the earn-the-right-to methods, those discounts COULD and SHOULD be supported by authors. In the end, the the product is good enough it should generate enough sales to cover the “loss” of a discount coupon through sales volume. Maybe allowing authors to opt-in to such a discount code system, even if issued by Envato could help. Although chances are slim authors will want to randomly earn less money on sales.

Good call. Will be interesting to see how this could be best implemented.

This one time 30% referral cut should get scrapped (or reduced to 5-10%) and should be replaced with something like 5% for each item sold through a referral link.
Definitely agree with the logic there, Doru. Less referral commission, but on all purchases, not just the first purchase from a first-time customer. Referrers could make potentially greater volume of sales and would act as a way to encourage more referrals and drive more traffic to the Marketplaces. Looking forward to seeing which avenue we actually take, thanks for the suggestion, added to the list! :)

This is exactly what one of Envato’s competitors use and I said before that Envato should adopt it. But the thread was locked because I said the name of this competitor.

But I completely agree with Doru, nonetheless. In fact, I much prefer his proposal rather than my own. But still, the buyers need a greater incentive to buy, so perhaps it would be better to add a system where the total amount of money used by the referrer to buy things can enable them to earn referral cuts at a higher percentage than 5%. Much like how the 50-70% commission works for authors who make a lot of money. :)

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

author having the possibility to discount their own products should not be allowed. Is the same thing as letting authors setting their price which again is not allowed.

Doru, you took this message out of context. It was a continuation of a proposition in a previous message. In that previous post I talked more about how this thing would work, from my perspective at least, to keep a fair competition level up. Of course, the idea can be worked and improved on.

What we do agree on is the referral cut which makes much much more sense as a low%/item than high%/first time action.

It encourages users to actively promote items and the market place to generate new sales and thus it only benefits the market as a whole in the end. The current system was unfortunately built to fail as soon as the market became popular enough.

667 posts
+2 more
Blinn says

I’m sure it can be done, and also I’m thinking that IF you give authors the choice to add discount coupons, assuming the earn-the-right-to methods, those discounts COULD and SHOULD be supported by authors. In the end, the the product is good enough it should generate enough sales to cover the “loss” of a discount coupon through sales volume. Maybe allowing authors to opt-in to such a discount code system, even if issued by Envato could help. Although chances are slim authors will want to randomly earn less money on sales.

Good call. Will be interesting to see how this could be best implemented.

This one time 30% referral cut should get scrapped (or reduced to 5-10%) and should be replaced with something like 5% for each item sold through a referral link.
Definitely agree with the logic there, Doru. Less referral commission, but on all purchases, not just the first purchase from a first-time customer. Referrers could make potentially greater volume of sales and would act as a way to encourage more referrals and drive more traffic to the Marketplaces. Looking forward to seeing which avenue we actually take, thanks for the suggestion, added to the list! :)

Scott, if you’re reading this, you might want to write this idea down in big fat bold letters because Envato desperately needs this right now :)

7604 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Doru, you took this message out of context.

well ok :) sorry about that, but my opinion is: less control you give authors in controlling item price, better it is for everyone

2710 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Scott, if you’re reading this, you might want to write this idea down in big fat bold letters because Envato desperately needs this right now :)

368 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Sorry for the off-topic, but, Scott, you should have used Comic Sans!

57 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in New Zealand
jamesmcd says

But please, give us much better searching as well :) Tags would be good too I suppose, and searching within downloads would be very handy. At the moment I open a huge amount of tabs and do browser searches for things. Not very efficient ;)

2710 posts
+16 more

Sorry for the off-topic, but, Scott, you should have used Comic Sans!

Careful what you ask for. ;)

2710 posts
+16 more

But please, give us much better searching as well :)

You’ll be hearing from our Search team soon, they’re an awesome bunch. I spoke with Michelle, our Search Product Manager recently. She will be dropping-by in the near future to tell you more about her team and the search project which is complex but obviously a huge, huge priority for both Envato and our community.

667 posts
+2 more
Blinn says

I just came up with an interesting formula. Get this:

Total Earnings from Referral Cuts / # Deposits = Deposit Average Deposit Average / 6 = 5% deposit average 5% deposit average x 20 = 100% of all the money used before the 30% referral cut.

It would take 20 sales for each referral to get exactly what the current referral system gives 30% of. It’s a good way to calculate exactly what you could earn if all your first referral cuts were earned at 100% commission.

Feel free to pick my mathematics apart, I’m not sure this is entirely correct myself. :D

by
by
by
by
by
by