2754 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says

Why not set up a system of mutual benefit to buyers, sellers, and referrers so that the amount of money they use to buy things on Envato determines how many extra referral cuts the buyer receives after the first one? For example:

Interesting take, thanks, Blinn, I don’t think I’ve come across that specific idea before! I know our referral system is nice and there are many people who make significant residual income via it, but I’m fully aware it’s not perfect and could be improved. I’ll find out if anything is planned.

Hello again, Blinn! I heard back from HQ and I can share with you that yes, the referral system is something we’re planning on looking at. :)

679 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Why not set up a system of mutual benefit to buyers, sellers, and referrers so that the amount of money they use to buy things on Envato determines how many extra referral cuts the buyer receives after the first one? For example:

Interesting take, thanks, Blinn, I don’t think I’ve come across that specific idea before! I know our referral system is nice and there are many people who make significant residual income via it, but I’m fully aware it’s not perfect and could be improved. I’ll find out if anything is planned.
Hello again, Blinn! I heard back from HQ and I can share with you that yes, the referral system is something we’re planning on looking at. :)

Awesome! :) I’m eager to see what you guys have planned.

2754 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says

Just heard back about Customer Rewards too – that’s something else we have plans to evaluate. Really excited about that one in particular and would be glad to represent you guys when those internal discussions begin so please feel free to share your ideas regarding what you would like to see there. That’s what I’m hopefully here for, to make your voice heard internally, so please continue to talk to me and bounce your ideas off me! :)

679 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Just heard back about Customer Rewards too – that’s something else we have plans to evaluate. Really excited about that one in particular and would be glad to represent you guys when those internal discussions begin so please feel free to share your ideas regarding what you would like to see there. That’s what I’m hopefully here for, to make your voice heard internally, so please continue to talk to me and bounce your ideas off me! :)

Absolutely!

Create a Rewards system that targets buyers and creates a much more powerful circulation of money throughout the Envato marketplaces as result. The idea is to “complete the circle.” Right now, referrals are a nice way to earn money on top of what people sell. But the buyers should have some real influence on their earning potential in conjunction with their referrals as well. Here’s how it works:

When a person uses money to buy an item, that money goes towards a counter, much like the 50-70% commission rate that exclusive authors enjoy for earning money. This “customer rewards” system will add up the total value of all the money that particular buyer has used on any Envato items in any the markeplaces. For now, let’s use this system (you’re more than welcome to improve upon it):

$50-100 = 1 extra cut for each referral. $100-250 = 2 extra cuts $250-500 = 3 extra cuts $500-1000 = 4 extra cuts $1000-2500 = 5 extra cuts $2500-5000 = 7 extra cuts $5000+ = 10 extra cuts + 1 cut per $1000 spent after

This is just an example, it can be improved.

The referral cut rate would always be at 30%, but this kind of multi-cut referral system would be extremely popular with many people and it would encourage more people to buy things.

Do you see the potential in this?

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

Items sold here on “as is, where is”

The themes we’ve bought that have been withdrawn were heavily advertised as coming with ‘free lifetime support and updates’. So they’re not being promoted as one-off purchases as you suggest.

If themes are advertised as having lifetime updates and support then I expect them to last longer than a year. If the author isn’t going to update them, or provide support then that’s fine, just don’t lie to customers and promise otherwise

You miss my point as always – I haven’t got a problem with cheap one-off products, it’s deception at the point of sale that bothers me, and it bothers me that it doesn’t bother Envato.

Get over it.

Already am bud.

I can assure you that a very big part of the community is sick of your “suggestions”... yes, I mean buyers as well

Thanks for your feedback.

I don’t personally have a problem with the thread being locked because the issue/question was answered in my opinion and that’s how we operate our forums fairly and transparently, exercising the right to lock them if we deem them answered.

Hooray – we’re back to old style Envato support!

I do have a problem with the thread being locked. It was locked so quickly you didn’t even give me the courtesy to post a reply. The thread wasn’t a question that needed answering, it was meant as a debate on an issue facing all customers who purchase themes.

Why was my thread locked after only a few minutes, yet author threads can carry on for years moaning about the ratings system? After all you’ve answered that one a hundred times at least.

You’re not listening at all, and you’ve proved you’re not interested in discussing customer issues.

Anyway, gregoryp and everyone else is fed up with all my mourning, so I’ll give up on this as it’s obviously not a problem for everyone else as it is for me. And Australia’s helpful comment

If you buy a Hamburger and then 3 months later decide to eat it and either of the above happens, your on your own. If the parameters have changed.

reminds me I haven’t had breakfast yet.

382 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
QBKL says

Items sold here on “as is, where is”
The themes we’ve bought that have been withdrawn were heavily advertised as coming with ‘free lifetime support and updates’. So they’re not being promoted as one-off purchases as you suggest.

Can I ask you, just to get a clearer view as an author, what do you understand from “lifetime”? What does it mean to you?

Truth is it’s kind of a generic pompous term that authors use to leave it up to buyers to decipher.

In reality, “lifetime” on products means basically just a product’s life span. As long as the product is actively produced and supported. When a product’s life span ends, its manufacturer might continue to offer support for it for a while, or might not. After that product’s lifespan has ended, it’s up to the customer to find a different way to keep it up to date.

Most surely Chevrolet won’t offer exchange parts for a ‘57 Impala, for example. But you can of course take it to a vintage car shop and get it fixed, upgraded, etc.

Australia’s burger example does indeed make sense if you leave your (partial understandable) frustration aside. Problem is that he, as well as other people I’m sure, are here because they are sick of being bossed around for a low-ball salary and long night hours in agencies or big studios, just because “The client demanded so”.

You see, this is basically a free market and when you buy a product here, you’re not in anyway getting a truly customized solution. I am sure you are aware of that and of the fact that such a solution comes with a much much higher price and most likely, also benefits.

When you only pay for a share of the development costs of these multi-sale products, it kind of makes sense that you share the benefits and time in support queues/updates etc with other customers.

Thing is, when I buy something from Envato I expect it to work off the shelf for as long as that product still lives on the market (lifetime). If the author decides to take it down, it’s their (TOS) right to do so and if they are decent enough to look into my issues after that moment, it’s an added bonus.

I think it’s just a matter of how you want to interpret things. And looking into the fact some people had a more aggressive response to your issues it’s the best example why suck topics get locked down. Unfortunately, because of your own frustration, something that should have been feedback turned into – from some users’ perspective and please excuse my language – bitching and bickering.

I mean, you’ve even attacked Scott with this line “Hooray – we’re back to old style Envato support!” after he did take his time to talk to you and other users here, quite in depth and quite fairly.

Ok, Envato support is still not up to par, and trust me, you as a buyer are not the only one experiencing it. It happens to me too as an author. I’m pretty sick of generic copy-paste responses, reviewers ignoring the (althought required) “message to reviewer” text upon submission, the fact that once a support ticket has been issued and answered, if you reply back, a new support member will answer and give you a generic response because they jumped in mid-conversation and so on. Thing is we all deal with these things and looking for ways to improve it.

YOU and I are only 2 people out of 2,981,201. Let’s keep that in mind and try to talk like people that NEED EACH OTHER. You need my products, I need your money. I don’t own you, you don’t own me. For as long as it’s mutually benefiting, we’ll do business. After that, we part ways.

Regards, Alex

PS: Sorry if the response is too long, guess I just let it flow with all I had to say on the matter and some other things too.

7769 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
doru says

you raise some good point familychoice but the way you point them out is really annoying :) to some users/authors and then the debate is deviating from finding solutions for the problems raised by you to a pointless show up of who is more important, who can insult other better and finally all this brings in the mods/staff who lock the threads.

My point is I can understand the frustration, probably created with bad experience using certain envato items. Can’t do nothing myself about this since I’m sure those items are not mine, but you can get better results if you present the issue you had without generalizing and accusing all authors.

I see you posts as pointing out some issue we have here and then mix in an unnecessary insult to some unrelated people who have nothing to do with the problem.

example:

this is a very good point that I’m really annoyed by. Authors on different envato marketplaces use not allowed tactics, like promising additional value if you purchase the item, “life time support” is one of them. Also, using the item description area to link to an external marketplace/service and earn money from referral for each envato user who click that link. If rules didn’t ninja changed from last time I checked, this is strictly forbidden. Did envato staff do something against this? Nope. Did they actually feature the file? Oh yes they did!

but then you add:

Why was my thread locked after only a few minutes, yet author threads can carry on for years moaning about the ratings system?

here you just insult legitimate author concerns (that happens to be ignored by envato (I know they working on it but really, what they propose as solution is not ok) – but I digress) There’s no reason to write those words than just “stating a forum fight” over pointless reasons. The rating system and authors asking envato to fix it have nothing to do with the problems you’ve got using certain items.

You are asking envato staff why they close your threads. the reason is the example above.

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
familychoice says

Can I ask you, just to get a clearer view as an author, what do you understand from “lifetime”? What does it mean to you?

I would expect a theme that was advertised with ‘lifetime support and updates’ to be around longer than a year, and if the author is knocking out regular new themes to at least keep their older themes going this long.

I get your point though, and we now get that products can disappear after a few weeks and as long as they work at that time and we’ve downloaded them, we’ll have absolutely no recourse to a refund, bug fixes or support from that date. It sucks, but we get it now.

Truth is it’s kind of a generic pompous term that authors use to leave it up to buyers to decipher.

Definitely, it confused me. Other sites we buy themes from promote the same thing. The difference is they mean it and we’re getting updates on themes we bought years ago.

Just to clarify we don’t expect themes to be updated with all the latest gizmos and features. We just hope they’ll be tweaked occasionally to fix any compatibility issues that arise.

I mean, you’ve even attacked Scott with this line “Hooray – we’re back to old style Envato support!” after he did take his time to talk to you and other users here, quite in depth and quite fairly.

He did take time, and initially I was heartened by his response. The ‘hooray’ comment was a reflection of disappointment at the same old company line being wheeled out.

The problem is, the ‘bickering’ that occurs distracts the points being raised and questions remain unanswered, which is why I seem to keep on ‘mourning’ about the same things. For example why are author threads left to carry on discussing about the same issues whilst mine (and other customer concerns I’ve seen raised) are closed or deleted within a few minutes?

you raise some good point familychoice but the way you point them out is really annoying

And I find responses from some authors (not yours) offensive and bullying. I’m a grown up though so I ‘deal with it’ in my own way, by being infuriatingly polite.

but then you add:

Why was my thread locked after only a few minutes, yet author threads can carry on for years moaning about the ratings system?

here you just insult legitimate author concerns (that happens to be ignored by envato – but I digress) There’s no reason to write those words than just “stating a forum fight” over pointless reasons. The rating system and authors asking envato to fix it have nothing to do with the problems you’ve got using certain items.

That’s taken out of context. I was accused of ‘mourning’ in a previous response. The reply above is trying to show that I’m not the only person on these forums who complains. You say it’s a legitimate author concern, I’m not disputing that. But my concerns are legitimate too, yet you and others seem to feel I have no right to air them.

I won’t be bullied into silence. If I think something isn’t fair then I’ll raise it as an issue or attempt to start a civilised discussion to talk it through and understand the reasons behind it.

That’s what forums are for.

7769 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+4 more
doru says

And I find responses from some authors (not yours) offensive and bullying. I’m a grown up though so I ‘deal with it’ in my own way, by being infuriatingly polite.

as you correctly said the response may be offensive BUT ask yourself who started. if you want people to be polite with you is important to be polite also.

But my concerns are legitimate too, yet you and others seem to feel I have no right to air them.

and here we go again. :) where did this coming from? where did I said you have no right to speak here?

332 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

And my two cents…..again this thread is going to be an ongoing argument the TS never intended it to be. If you ask me this thread can be closed by a mod as it’s not related anymore to the actual topic!

by
by
by
by
by
by