• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

I think there are a lot of buyers who complained about that $2 surcharge. Maybe Envato could do something about it for buyers who meet certain criteria. :)
Yes the surcharge is a nasty way to force loyalty through large top-ups. Don’t like it at all!

Like authors are forced to go exclusive for a better cut of the sale? :) Some call it a surcharge because it fits when you want to oppose it. Why not call it a discount for being Envato’s friend? :)

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I think there are a lot of buyers who complained about that $2 surcharge. Maybe Envato could do something about it for buyers who meet certain criteria. :)
Yes the surcharge is a nasty way to force loyalty through large top-ups. Don’t like it at all!

Would you top up for 10% then? :)

Let’s say $10 for each $100 deposit. This way you would not deposit because you don’t want to spend extra $2 but you would deposit to get extra $10..

656 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
Blinn says

What if buyers received some kind of bonus for purchasing extended licenses? Something, not just of symbolic value but with practical use as well?

Here’s an idea on how this could play out:

Say a buyer has the option of purchasing either an $8 song with a regular license or the same song for $40 with an extended license.

Based on the multi-cut referral system I mentioned earlier in this thread, it could give them a 50% “high-value” bonus which basically enables buyers to accelerate towards more and more referral cuts per referred registration. This would encourage them to buy more extended licenses because not only are they being rewarded for buying items through multiple cuts per referral, but also, the “high-value” bonus would be added on top of that.

If a buyer spends $200 on items, and later buys an extended license for $50 for a $5 item, not only would the buyer have invested $250 which, according to my system earlier would enable them to receive 2-3 cuts per referral, but also receive a high-value bonus of $25, so it would count as $275. If people continue to purchase extended licenses, they will be able to earn more cuts per referral faster because the high-value bonuses would be added on top of their base value, the amount of money actually invested in one way or another into the Envato Marketplaces.

This would also encourage authors to make some purchases of their own, so they can refer people and earn more referral cuts. The money can easily be circulated around the marketplace and while this happening, Envato is taking its part of every transaction, so everybody wins. :)

2665 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

Hi guys,

Loving all the ideas so far! Seems like there was a flurry of activity overnight. Just about to get my morning cup of coffee before I jot down all your suggestions and ideas. Please keep them coming! :)

2665 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

Also, and this might open up a can of worms, but a way to PM other members might be good :)

Hi James! Just to double-check, you do know you can contact authors via their profile page on the right-hand side of their profile page, right? e.g. http://themeforest.net/user/AUTHORNAMEHERE Or do you mean allow members to be able to specifically contact buyers? IF we did that, it would probably be best to make it opt-in – not all buyers would want to be contacted. Could you clarify just to be sure? Thanks so much!

656 posts
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
Blinn says

Hi guys, Loving all the ideas so far! Seems like there was a flurry of activity overnight. Just about to get my morning cup of coffee before I jot down all your suggestions and ideas. Please keep them coming! :)

You may also want to check out this thread as well:

http://audiojungle.net/forums/thread/what-if-authors-could-offer-items-with-varying-amounts-of-content-based-on-price/109123

Another idea would be to start using Wepay as an alternative to Paypal. Wepay is smaller than Paypal but it’s still a well-developed company and with better reviews. One of the mods liked the idea. :)

55 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • New Zealand
jamesmcd says

Also, and this might open up a can of worms, but a way to PM other members might be good :)
Hi James! Just to double-check, you do know you can contact authors via their profile page on the right-hand side of their profile page, right? e.g. http://themeforest.net/user/AUTHORNAMEHERE Or do you mean allow members to be able to specifically contact buyers? IF we did that, it would probably be best to make it opt-in – not all buyers would want to be contacted. Could you clarify just to be sure? Thanks so much!

Yep I mean buyer contacting buyer. Yep opt-in would be appropriate.

3507 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Yep I mean buyer contacting buyer. Yep opt-in would be appropriate.

You know that you’d be totally spammed by authors, right? .. Some do it even now when this system doesn’t exist, so i can’t imagine the results caused by some.

2115 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

This doesn’t have to do much with the buyers themselves, although they also win: I’d like to see the “Bargain Basement” resurrected. But, this time, with more adequate name and with better position / advertisement for it.

Many people around here don’t know about it, even those who were around here at the time it existed, because it was very well “hidden” among other options in site’s menu. It was a collection of items whose prices were lowered for a certain period of time (and they ended up there only upon author’s request and consequent approval by marketplace staff).

This is the way to help “buried gems” surface to the top and reach potential buyers, while at the same time buyers can find such gems for lower price. Win-win situation, isn’t it?

However, while it existed, (as I already mentioned), bargain basement was located deep within the menus, which wasn’t obvious at all. Plus the name “Bargain basement” suggests that these items are of lower quality and sellers are trying to get rid off them, so to say. I mean, quality goes to the top, not to the bottom (basement :) ), right? What about “Promo basket” or “Special offers” or something like that, and located in the main menu, like any other category?

@Scott: please reconsider this idea. Or if you did reconsider it already, please share with us why do you still think it is not good idea. Thanks

2665 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Support Staff
+16 more
scottwills Staff says

This doesn’t have to do much with the buyers themselves, although they also win: I’d like to see the “Bargain Basement” resurrected. But, this time, with more adequate name and with better position / advertisement for it.

Hi Urbazon! AudioJungle in the house! :D

I agree with you that the Bargain Basement could have been worded better and pitched differently. It was purposely removed however because the time and ‘money’ it took to manage was more than actual sales from the Bargain Basement collections. I think they were more popular with authors than buyers ultimately.

I agree with what you’re really saying though: More needs to be done to improve exposure to great items that are not yet popular. Meaning, great new items from great new authors and ‘hidden gems’ that until now, have been mostly overlooked.

I think a couple of things need to be done here to address this issue. Firstly, improvements to search. It would be great, for example, if buyers were able to search on things like, “A five star rated file, for a specific category, submitted in the past 7 days, with less than 10 sales.” Secondly, in my personal opinion, the Marketplaces would benefit from having more dynamic content. Things like, showing buyers a ‘real time’ view of what has just been purchased, what’s selling really well in a specific category for a specific duration (24 hours / 7 days / month etc..). I’d also like to see dynamic collections where our reviewers, who are the first people to see all the awesome content from you guys, select a file they come across which is really high quality, and then it automatically becomes visible to buyers via an ‘editorial’ kind of vehicle/collection. I think if we had better main pages for sub categories too, that would help bring great new content and/or hidden gems to the surface too. Just some personal ideas, these things may or not already be in the works.

Can you think of anything else along these kind of lines to increase item exposure?

by
by
by
by
by
by