399 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
QBKL says

Can you think of anything else along these kind of lines to increase item exposure?

One little thing that I feel like I’m missing and would have a place in the main nav, yet it doesn’t would be “Top new files”. We have all-time top authors, top new authors, weekly top files, but the popular files rarely bring something new to the table, particularly with truly amazing old items always being on top. That is great and they surely deserve the spot, but as we have top new authors, some “Top new items”, maybe with sectioning like on home page, would be a nice addition by putting a bit of spotlight on the trending new files.

687 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

This doesn’t have to do much with the buyers themselves, although they also win: I’d like to see the “Bargain Basement” resurrected. But, this time, with more adequate name and with better position / advertisement for it.

Hi Urbazon! AudioJungle in the house! :D

I agree with you that the Bargain Basement could have been worded better and pitched differently. It was purposely removed however because the time and ‘money’ it took to manage was more than actual sales from the Bargain Basement collections. I think they were more popular with authors than buyers ultimately.

I agree with what you’re really saying though: More needs to be done to improve exposure to great items that are not yet popular. Meaning, great new items from great new authors and ‘hidden gems’ that until now, have been mostly overlooked.

I think a couple of things need to be done here to address this issue. Firstly, improvements to search. It would be great, for example, if buyers were able to search on things like, “A five star rated file, for a specific category, submitted in the past 7 days, with less than 10 sales.” Secondly, in my personal opinion, the Marketplaces would benefit from having more dynamic content. Things like, showing buyers a ‘real time’ view of what has just been purchased, what’s selling really well in a specific category for a specific duration (24 hours / 7 days / month etc..). I’d also like to see dynamic collections where our reviewers, who are the first people to see all the awesome content from you guys, select a file they come across which is really high quality, and then it automatically becomes visible to buyers via an ‘editorial’ kind of vehicle/collection. I think if we had better main pages for sub categories too, that would help bring great new content and/or hidden gems to the surface too. Just some personal ideas, these things may or not already be in the works.

Can you think of anything else along these kind of lines to increase item exposure?

How about user-added keywords? Keywords that people tag on to other peoples’ items, so that they get more exposure in the marketplace. These will be separate from the keywords that the author uses and it can only be done with the author’s consent, either through a setting that enables or disables external keywords or through a setting that enables the author to review each keyword that comes in so that he can either use it or reject it.

The nice thing about this is some people can opt-in to use it, others may choose to not use it. And best of all, the Envato Review team doesn’t have to do any extra work on this. It’s the responsibility of the authors.

2758 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 8 years
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
+17 more
scottwills Envato team says

I would like to see a bonus for topping up. Maybe 100 topup gets 110 or even 120. That would drive loyalty.

Makes sense, James, duly noted!

2758 posts
+17 more

Envato could tie buyer rewards into badges, could offer marketplace credit for building up buyer badges, i.e “Got the 500-999 badge? Here’s $50 marketplace credit”

Sounds like a reasonable concept to me, Tom, thanks for sharing!

2758 posts
+17 more

A well thought out discount code system would be pretty neat.

Yeah, there’s lots of potential with this one and multiple ways to skin the cat. One thing to keep in mind about discount codes is that, let’s say an author is Elite and they’re on 70% commission. If the author also refers someone, that takes out another 30%. So even at that point, Envato is making nothing on that transaction. So if we then throw a discount into the mix, potentially, Envato could end up paying out on transactions. I’m not saying it can’t be done, I think there is a potential solution there (a better referral system is needed to begin with!), but just wanted to share an observation from a business perspective. So you’re right, it would need to be really well thought out!

2758 posts
+17 more

At this moment, I think the biggest reward for buyers would be a global shopping cart. A buyer should be able to go to multiple marketplaces and add items to their cart and checkout in one go. This can open up many possibilities in the future for rewards such as coupons, discount on bulk buying etc.

I’ve always wanted to see this too. :) I personally like to buy photos from PhotoDune and would definitely like to see a shopping cart on PhotoDune. I know the shopping cart subject has come up time and time again internally but is obviously quite a large and significant project. Let me find out what the current status is on that and I’ll do my best to report back.

399 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
QBKL says

One thing to keep in mind about discount codes is that, let’s say an author is Elite and they’re on 70% commission. If the author also refers someone, that takes out another 30%. So even at that point, Envato is making nothing on that transaction. So if we then throw a discount into the mix, potentially, Envato could end up paying out on transactions.

I’m sure it can be done, and also I’m thinking that IF you give authors the choice to add discount coupons, assuming the earn-the-right-to methods, those discounts COULD and SHOULD be supported by authors. In the end, the the product is good enough it should generate enough sales to cover the “loss” of a discount coupon through sales volume. Maybe allowing authors to opt-in to such a discount code system, even if issued by Envato could help. Although chances are slim authors will want to randomly earn less money on sales.

7794 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
doru says

I’m sure it can be done, and also I’m thinking that IF you give authors the choice to add discount coupons, assuming the earn-the-right-to methods, those discounts COULD and SHOULD be supported by authors. In the end, the the product is good enough it should generate enough sales to cover the “loss” of a discount coupon through sales volume. Maybe allowing authors to opt-in to such a discount code system, even if issued by Envato could help. Although chances are slim authors will want to randomly earn less money on sales.

author having the possibility to discount their own products should not be allowed. Is the same thing as letting authors setting their price which again is not allowed.

all type of discount or promotion should be made at marketplace level (not individual for each item) and should be supported by envato.

In any case this is an interesting discussion, but as someone pointed out earlier, there are some major interface improvements that should be done as soon as possible also

7794 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
doru says

let’s say an author is Elite and they’re on 70% commission. If the author also refers someone, that takes out another 30%. So even at that point, Envato is making nothing on that transaction.

This one time 30% referral cut should get scrapped (or reduced to 5-10%) and should be replaced with something like 5% for each item sold through a referral link.

2758 posts
+17 more

Good call. Will be interesting to see how this could be best implemented.

This one time 30% referral cut should get scrapped (or reduced to 5-10%) and should be replaced with something like 5% for each item sold through a referral link.

Definitely agree with the logic there, Doru. Less referral commission, but on all purchases, not just the first purchase from a first-time customer. Referrers could make potentially greater volume of sales and would act as a way to encourage more referrals and drive more traffic to the Marketplaces. Looking forward to seeing which avenue we actually take, thanks for the suggestion, added to the list! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by