1004 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

I’ve just received another email (preceded by couple of “mudslinging tweets”) from the rudest customer ever, who said (and it was cherry on top) that I’m wasting his time.

And the problem he had was created by his server configuration, not by my theme. It literally made me speechless.. He bought advanced WordPress theme with unique options and features for couple of $ and says that I’ve wasted his time..

I’ve fixed his problem anyway.

I’ve had more than 3000sales and 99.9% of buyers here are amazing, friendly, nice, and patient, and I think it’s something unique for this community – something you rarely see in real life.

Anyway, how do you guys cope with such a difficult clients?

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Chill mate. I had one that told me that if i do not have an xml import for the theme, than my theme should be free. Or another one who called me and idiot and other names because i said i did not want to offer support over email and he did not have any proof of purchase. My fault right?

1004 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+7 more
purethemes says

I’m chillin ;) and waiting for his reply, I’m sure it will be special :D.

Maybe I was lucky that I haven’t got any more difficult buyers, I hope he’ll be the last one and I wish the same for every author here ( I mean only friendly and polite communication ;) )

3748 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
+9 more
pezflash says

Weeks ago i got a support request from Facebook. I told the guy to send me the purchase proof through my profile form here. Finally i discover he had a useless ripped version, i told him (i was very polite, in fact, too much, imo) “buy the original file and i’ll be glad to help you with any problem you could encounter”. He answered “Help me or i’ll buy the file and will rate it 1* so your future sales will be affected”. Deal with it. Obviously i sent him to hell. :)

3435 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

Weeks ago i got a support request from Facebook. I told the guy to send me the purchase proof through my profile form here. Finally i discover he had a useless ripped version, i told him (i was very polite, in fact, too much, imo) “buy the original file and i’ll be glad to help you with any problem you could encounter”. He answered “Help me or i’ll buy the file and will rate it 1* so your future sales will be affected”. Deal with it. Obviously i sent him to hell. :)

Wow. Some people are… special.

I think the best strategy is to identify these (rare) customers early and sever ties. Don’t let them rope you in. Figure all the awesome support you give to customers who appreciate it and rate you fairly earns you the ability to ignore those ungrateful crazies who are just going to give you 1 star regardless.

There is no sense in engaging with unreasonable or irrational people. You’re bound to run into them from time to time, and if you’re like me, they’re going to drive you nuts if you let them. As hard as it can be, try to accept it that these encounters will occur and don’t take their insults/threats/accusations personally. Think how sad and angry those peoples’ lives must be, to be the way they are… don’t let them get you down. In the big picture, they mean nothing. Why get upset over nothing? :)

[now attempting to take my own advice]

202 posts I'm a Husky Designer
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
designcrumbs says

Haha I love it!

I had a guy who left 9 comments in 6 hours, I kept asking him to open a thread in my forum, and he kept just asking questions in comments. He disappeared, then a week later he posted his purchase code, email, and TF login in a comment. I flagged it and left a stern comment of my own. He then signed up on my forum, never opened a thread, and then said in another TF comment “Im signed up can you help me out”.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+10 more
JamiGibbs says

Think how sad and angry those peoples’ lives must be, to be the way they are… don’t let them get you down. In the big picture, they mean nothing. Why get upset over nothing? :) [now attempting to take my own advice]

This is so true. Some people are simply not living in the same reality as the rest of us. But like Chris said, “Don’t let them rope you in.”. <— Best advice ever although I still fall into the trap on occasion as well.

2579 posts Put a Donk On It
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

This is what happens when you offer a quality product for $35.

22 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
+1 more
isharis says

Have been managing support for 3 accounts on ThemeForest (5 themes). Every few days, there’s always going to be one angry customer who wants his ticket answered asap. If his first one doesn’t get answered within an hour, he’ll create 2 to 3 new ones.

Some buyers can be so impatient and ungrateful.

22 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Located in Austria
+1 more
TheBuckmaker says

ThemeProvince you’re SO right. I’m doing a lot of online marketing and one of the most valuable lessons I had to learn is:

CHEAP PRODUCTS ATTRACT CHEAP PEOPLE

So the cheaper your offerings are, the cheaper and more low-class your customers will be. One could also say: What costs nothing, is worth nothing, and will therefore be valued nothing.

So please, themeforest guys, do the wonderful authors here a favour and rise prices $10 at least. $35 for themes as complex and appealing as here is JUST CHEAP . Doesn’t speak for your marketing strategy really.

EDIT : Better multiply all item prices *2 – that’s what they are really worth nowadays, considering the amount of support that’s not officially required, but in fact expected.

by
by
by
by
by
by