• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

If i’ve learnt something over the time here is that support is maybe the most important source for freelancing, much more than any freelance job site out there. I’m always glad to give support, and right now 1 of my more profit clients merged from a stupid free support i gave months ago.

But yes, sometimes i think this growing templates market has made people think that building websites is a matter of a couple of hours, and that devs can works one full day for the price of an hamburguer.

@sevenspark – I’ve to admit i needed to look “rope in” in my dictionary, nice advice. ;)

1733 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
VisualSharing says

I’ve had more than 3000sales and 99.9% of buyers here are amazing, friendly, nice, and patient (...)

And yet, you decided to open up a thread about the 0.01%? :)

731 posts fifty_tons and CodingJack
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
50andJACK says

If i’ve learnt something over the time here is that support is maybe the most important source for freelancing, much more than any freelance job site out there. I’m always glad to give support, and right now 1 of my more profit clients merged from a stupid free support i gave months ago.

Very true. When I first started uploading I had a separate freelance business. But that involved working mostly with small business owners who knew very little about the industry. Now 100% of my freelance comes from connections I make through support. And most of these people are other industry professionals which is great.

So putting up with the nonsensical 1% with regards to support is totally worth it. Because compared to the clientele I was working with before, that percentage used to be much higher :D

-Jack

541 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

CHEAP PRODUCTS ATTRACT CHEAP PEOPLE

So true. Queue needs for a price bump.

Authors need comment notifications. We’re forced to hit refresh all day so it doesn’t look like we’re unattentive to support. Meanwhile buyers can choose to receive email notifications. They think authors get notified, but we don’t and they’re angry/confused why nobody responds immediately. This creates a lot of tension and stresses authors.

211 posts Devil Can't Burn
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+3 more
Devilcantburn says

I’ve had more than 3000sales and 99.9% of buyers here are amazing, friendly, nice, and patient (...)
And yet, you decided to open up a thread about the 0.01%? :)

Because 0.01% can break a reputation in a minute !! I understand Purethemes…

3365 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

@JamiGibbs absolutely – not falling into the trap is very difficult. Especially for someone like me who takes those types of comments as personal attacks. It’s hard for me to separate the business from the personal side of things, and that’s important to be able to do.

Note to self: don’t let them bait you.

@pezflash haha sorry! You and many other non-native English speakers in this community communicate so well in English, that sometimes I forget I need to avoid colloquialisms!

@ThemeProvince, @TheBuckmaker, @GravityDept – It’s true that cheap prices do tend to attract “cheap” customers (here’s a great article from Jason Fried on why keeping prices high can be a great business strategy). But I just want to point out that it does not attract cheap customers exclusively. It also attracts savvy, economical business people who know value when they see it (and in many cases would actually be happy to pay a higher price). So, while I totally agree that a price increase would have the potential to alleviate some of these issues, I just want to clarify that these people who demand cheap prices and expect insane support are still the minority.

812 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

ThemeProvince you’re SO right. I’m doing a lot of online marketing and one of the most valuable lessons I had to learn is:

CHEAP PRODUCTS ATTRACT CHEAP PEOPLE

So the cheaper your offerings are, the cheaper and more low-class your customers will be. One could also say: What costs nothing, is worth nothing, and will therefore be valued nothing.

So please, themeforest guys, do the wonderful authors here a favour and rise prices $10 at least. $35 for themes as complex and appealing as here is JUST CHEAP . Doesn’t speak for your marketing strategy really.

EDIT : Better multiply all item prices *2 – that’s what they are really worth nowadays, considering the amount of support that’s not officially required, but in fact expected.

Couldn’t agree more. Finally someone said it like it is. You should post this into “Price increase” thread.

Regarding customers: worst case scenario (happened to me) is to have cheap arrogant impatient ignorant newbies who post 5 comments in 3 hours expecting that you solve their .99$/year hosting issues or something similar. These comments simply devastate sales.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

Money is made with the masses and not the elites. So forget about double prices.

5277 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+5 more
CodingJack says

@JamiGibbs absolutely – not falling into the trap is very difficult. Especially for someone like me who takes those types of comments as personal attacks. It’s hard for me to separate the business from the personal side of things, and that’s important to be able to do.

One thing I’ve learned over the years is that is always best when you take the emotion out of business. Sometimes it isn’t possible and in that case it helps to set the issue aside for 24 hours and come back to it later.

Now if only I could take my own advice and apply this philosophy to the review process :D

2509 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+5 more
ThemeProvince says

If I had it my way I would price at $90 per theme. I will be able to get the type of customers that are always friendly, have experience in web design/development and know to expect from a premium theme. What I don’t want is some broke 16 year old bully kid buying my theme and trying to blackmail me into providing free customisations which evidently has happened to me and others.

With my own personalised pricing I would sell less obviously but I could then offer my customers dedicated support and still make the same amount of money due to the extra percentage from each sale.

by
by
by
by
by
by