158 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

One of the things I hope to bring to both the ThemeForest as well as the entire WordPress community is a set of standard content type plugins to allow theme developers to build from.

When I say “content types”, I’m referring to plugins that handle custom post types, taxonomies, and post meta. Each plugin would be different depending on the scenario. For example, I’m currently building a base portfolio plugin, which will include both a post type and taxonomy for handling portfolios. Theme developers will be able to support this plugin just like BuddyPress, bbPress, WooCommerce, and so on.

With that in mind, here’s some questions for you all:

• What post types are you seeing used often?
  • What taxonomies should go with those post types?
  • What post meta or other fields should go with the post types?

Right now, I’m just rounding up ideas so that I can see which direction to go next. I welcome any and all feedback on what should be included within the plugins.

Note: Let’s please not turn this into a discussion on what belongs in a theme vs. a plugin. We already have a thread for that.

270 posts New Elite in Town!
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
icypixels says

I will be one of the first to adopt this type of plugins. I’ve changed my philosophy of what a theme needs to be.

“Portfolio” post type with the “portfolio-type” taxonomy. Post meta fields: Date, Client, URL . Another CPT I see often used on TF is : Events

It’s truly awesome that you’re doing this for the community!

332 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

I will be one of the first to adopt this type of plugins. I’ve changed my philosophy of what a theme needs to be.

“Portfolio” post type with the “portfolio-type” taxonomy. Post meta fields: Date, Client, URL . Another CPT I see often used on TF is : Events

It’s truly awesome that you’re doing this for the community!

Imo, no meta fields should be included.

158 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 50+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
greenshady says

Why would you not include meta fields? I’m thinking “date” and “URL” are definitely fields that are needed for portfolios. I honestly haven’t done too much work in this space though.

332 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

Why would you not include meta fields? I’m thinking “date” and “URL” are definitely fields that are needed for portfolios. I honestly haven’t done too much work in this space though.

Often used post types can be ‘standartized’, but the fields which go with those types – not. You cannot cover all the fields that MIGHT be needed for a custom theme. What then? Should I hack plugins source code trying to extend it? Or should I use another plugin to add some custom meta boxes? Maybe I should code them myself? And what about removal of those fields? Again, that would create even bigger mess.

54 posts
    Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Located in Slovenia Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
psvent says

Often used post types can be ‘standartized’, but the fields which go with those types – not. You cannot cover all the fields that MIGHT be needed for a custom theme. What then? Should I hack plugins source code trying to extend it? Or should I use another plugin to add some custom meta boxes? Maybe I should code them myself? And what about removal of those fields? Again, that would create even bigger mess.

I guess the “standard” plugin should be extensible. A base meta field set can and should exist as @greenshady said an URL and date are more or less common.

Then if an author needs to add custom fields he can do that via the action system?

BTW as I am only starting with theme development (although I am a “seasoned” developer) so I guess am some sort of a “clean slate” and I was totally excited with the mentioned CPT thread and I totally welcome and support this movement!

@greenshady if you post the github link once you setup this plugin I would be more then glad to help if I can!

158 posts
+1 more
greenshady says

@dekciw

I wouldn’t want to cover all the fields that might be needed. I’m looking for fields that’d pass the 80/20 rule here.

You should definitely build a custom plugin if you need to extend it or remove something. That is what’s so great about WordPress’ Plugin API — it’s pretty much infinitely extensible.

@greenshady if you post the github link once you setup this plugin I would be more then glad to help if I can!
I didn’t want to break any forum rules by self-promoting anything. But, here’s the link to the portfolio plugin. I suppose a forum mod will remove it if it’s not OK. https://github.com/justintadlock/cpt-portfolio
100 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

Often used post types can be ‘standartized’, but the fields which go with those types – not. You cannot cover all the fields that MIGHT be needed for a custom theme. What then? ...

True there is a wide array of custom fields that could be used with a portfolio CPT so why not include a large set of them, then provide an easy way for the theme to enable or disable the use of certain fields as needed? That way maybe 90% of portfolio themes will find the fields they need. The other 10% could then propose/contribute additional custom fields as needed. Yeah?

100 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 500+ members Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

@dekciw

I wouldn’t want to cover all the fields that might be needed. I’m looking for fields that’d pass the 80/20 rule here.

Let’s see if a Video URL field would fall into the 80/20 rule. I’m not sure how most others add video items to their portfolio CPT ’s but I setup a single URL field for YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

158 posts
+1 more
greenshady says
True there is a wide array of custom fields that could be used with a portfolio CPT so why not include a large set of them, then provide an easy way for the theme to enable or disable the use of certain fields as needed? That way maybe 90% of portfolio themes will find the fields they need. The other 10% could then propose/contribute additional custom fields as needed. Yeah?

That’d be pretty simple to do with the “post-type-supports” functionality or even tying into the “theme-supports” functionality. It’d just depends on the fields. We just need the ideas for the moment; I’ll be able to handle the implementation in an easy-to-modify way.

Thus far, the proposed fields for the portfolio plugin are:

• date
  • url
  • client
by
by
by
by
by
by