1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

This article from Konstantin about the “Lock in Effect” in WordPress themes got me thinking a lil’ bit.

Theres many things he outlines but one we can solve simply is CPT naming, most themes feature at least one CPT most commonly a portfolio. Now its up to the author to name this CPT which can be anything from “portfolio” (like myself) to a prefixed name like “ct_portfolio”, etc…

This can be troublesome for buyers as they purchase one theme, add their content, then maybe down the road purchase another but this new theme uses a prefixed name for the portfolio so that user now has to either re-input all their content or do a SQL UPDATE command.

So I’m proposing something simple at least for the authors on TF, lets standardize our CPT naming.

Proposed examples:

• portfolio
  • testimonials
  • products
  • slider
  • etc…

Thoughts?

3446 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

I read the same article this morning and was thinking along the same lines. Going hand in hand with this, I think plugin authors should then namespace their custom post types so as to avoid collisions.

So I think it’s a good idea; but on the other hand, it doesn’t do much good for meta fields, since those would be more problematic (impossible?) to standardize.

In general: standards are good :) It’d be great if WordPress would actually adopt an official stance on the matter, and offer a best practice standard, actually.

2580 posts Put a Donk On It
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
ThemeProvince says

I think its this and the slug used that needs to be standardised. People use the permalink /portfolio on a page with a theme where that slug is reserved for portfolio posts etc. and therefore generates a 404 error. I’m too lazy to change the slugs myself but i’d encourage others to change this.

+10 more
contempoinc says

So I think it’s a good idea; but on the other hand, it doesn’t do much good for meta fields, since those would be more problematic (impossible?) to standardize.

Agreed, this is just one piece to the puzzle, custom taxonomies and metaboxes are a whole nother story. Although you could propose a small standardized set for different uses, like for products (price, size, shipping, etc…).

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I also agree, I think another thing that should be standardized is shortcodes / standard widgets though I think for some of that would be impossible

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
wearepixel8 says

Some form of standardization is definitely a step in the right direction. The true trick is to get everyone to embrace the idea without thinking they are compromising their product in some way.

Count us in!

+10 more
contempoinc says

Really the way to get this to work is getting Envato behind it, setting a standard and making it apart of the review process.

Calling all staffers…

380 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
kaaz says

Really the way to get this to work is getting Envato behind it, setting a standard and making it apart of the review process. Calling all staffers…
+1
by
by
by
by
by
by