316 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+2 more
SyamilMJ says

Sometimes when I really need to focus on something I would put my computer on top of a cabinet and do the work standing up. It really helps since the strain in your legs & the rather uncomfortable position makes you want to finish the job as quickly as possible.

Recently I realised that there are proper desks out there that was designed for this specific purpose, and they’re slowly catching up nowadays. I’m planning to get one myself :)

What are your feelings/opinions/tips about this, and do you have any specific products to recommend?

Cheers

306 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
BittLoader says

I like the idea of a standing desk too. It is unhealthy to stay more than 6h in a chair so standing a while won’t hurt. Unfortunately i couldn’t find any good products on this category. If you find some, please post a link or send me a private message too.

Thanks!

3110 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Moderator says

3 friends have them. 1 uses a plank of wood attached to the wall, 1 uses an expensive “automatic” desk that raises between sitting and standing height using a motor, and the other has a fixed standing desk that can be manually adjusted a little bit.

They all love them, I’m thinking of getting one too.

They all say the desk really doesn’t matter, as long as you can set it to a comfortable height somehow. But they all also say you should really invest in some good shoes because they find it’s really hard to stand in bare feet. Also if you have concrete/tiles then a rubber standing mat also helps with foot aches.

832 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

When my back was too tired, I made a DIY standing desk from my bar deck at the kitchen :) My experience was good, but I feel that “normal” desk that can transform to standing desk would work better for me. Dragging all hardware around is pain in the …

Edit: 777 post!!! Lucky me :)

604 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

I’ve been eyeing the Humanscale Float desk. The video shows it in action: http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=float

The base price is around $1300. I think that’s reasonable considering the cardiovascular health benefits (none of which any chair has — even a $900 Herman Miller). I like to change position frequently so flexibility is more valuable to me than cost.

I think it kills the alternatives, which are mentioned at the bottom of this review: http://www.core77.com/blog/furniture_design/standing_desk_shootout_humanscale_float_table_20334.asp
715 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
majd_abdul says

I’ve been eyeing the Humanscale Float desk. The video shows it in action: http://www.humanscale.com/products/product_detail.cfm?group=float

The base price is around $1300. I think that’s reasonable considering the cardiovascular health benefits (none of which any chair has — even a $900 Herman Miller). I like to change position frequently so flexibility is more valuable to me than cost.

I think it kills the alternatives, which are mentioned at the bottom of this review: http://www.core77.com/blog/furniture_design/standing_desk_shootout_humanscale_float_table_20334.asp

$1300 for a table that looks quite unstable? That’s a bit too much IMO . Unless it has a prefix of “i” :D

Anyway, you can make your own adjustable table (height and angle) with $100 worth of materials. It’s simple and allows me to switch between standing and sitting every couple of hours.

8273 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Moderator says

standing up all day? hmmm, I remember working somewhere on my feet all day every day and it really wears you out :(

274 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
pebas says

I can’t believe you still working in traditional way, blah…around $6000 and all problems gone, why you should stand if you can almost sleep and work?

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
tugboatio says

+1 for standing desk. We have a number of custom made ones at work. They are pretty sweet.

129 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
bobural says

+1 on standing desk too…

by
by
by
by
by