20 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
themereactor says

I’d really like to see an overhaul of the Star Rating system.

We’ve dealt with people who get angry and give us 1 star on our plugins because we won’t customize their themes for them or troubleshoot the problems they’re having with other plugins. I don’t think that’s right and while its impossible to properly regulate it they shouldn’t be allowed to rate an item without providing a proper comment about why. Author’s can’t fix anything if they don’t know why they were rated like that. Its not fair to the hard working authors who then lose sales because someone can’t upload a file properly or won’t read instructions.

1402 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

Many of us agree with you. I read a dev post in a recent thread that they are working on the rating system next, so you will see changes sooner than later :)

20 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
themereactor says

I’m glad to hear that. The current system punishes authors rather than helps them.

From our experiences with some people its absolutely amazing what they think you should be doing for them and how much they won’t do for themselves or their expectations that you’ll rewrite entire chunks of your plugin because they want it to do something it was never intended to do. When you tell them you can’t or won’t then they give you a 1 star rating!

I would personally think that if you’re going to give the item 3 or less you MUST fill out a survey explaning why. Not all people but alot of the people who purchase on here think that the ten bucks they paid entitles them to dozens of hours of support or free services.

5391 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
Australia says

personally the ratings mean absolutely nothing to me as a buyer, they only become applicable if I am comparing apples for apples, and can disassociate the two via means of their ratings.

Which never happens on here.

You would be better served just applying the facebook ( positive response or no response ) iteration.

This way no individuals can sway the rating of an item, by the traditional method. Playing the proportions game , serves no purpose whatsoever to buyers.

Its strange, you never see a buyer on here stating:

“i bought XYZ and it had a 5 star rating, and it was crap”

A system where the user can either LIKE ( or whatever word you wish to use ) or negate to LIKE, is the obvious method.

Unless of course Envato allows the creation of absolute identical scripts/themes which lets face it doesnt happen.

86 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
groupp says

You could pretty much do away with the rating system as a whole, because most buyers..i think.. read all the comments OR the most recent comments when deciding to buy the script. So between a demo or a video and the comments, most decisions are made? Not sure, just 2 cents.

20 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
themereactor says

I don’t think it should be completely removed but not providing actual info to the author to address things or not is frustrating.

I try to have some pride in what my team produces but getting a 1 star rating is a reflection of not just the plugin but also the service you try and provide your items. Knowing that is potentially from someone who likely asked for a bunch of changes that are WAY outside of what you can reasonably do to your plugin for FREE is what really gets on my nerves.

1402 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I don’t think it should be completely removed but not providing actual info to the author to address things or not is frustrating. I try to have some pride in what my team produces but getting a 1 star rating is a reflection of not just the plugin but also the service you try and provide your items. Knowing that is potentially from someone who likely asked for a bunch of changes that are WAY outside of what you can reasonably do to your plugin for FREE is what really gets on my nerves.

+1 and stats show that there could be 10 people that love your plugin but never rated it. it just takes 1 person to bring your 5 star item down to 4.

912 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says
+1 and stats show that there could be 10 people that love your plugin but never rated it. it just takes 1 person to bring your 5 star item down to 4.

Just happened to me. This guy just bought one of my plugins and in less than 1 minute (!! I can assure you that you cannot setup my plugin in less than 1 minute) so in less than 1 minute, he wrote this comment: “VERY BAD, NOT BUY”. No reasons, no ask for supoport, nothing, just BUM, the comment and the negative rating.

This just makes me believe that there are some authors here who have two or more usernames – and they use one username to negative rating their competition!

I really hope that rating & commenting system becomes better, not allowing people to give negative rating without an explanation! This is not fair for the authors working hard for their items!

912 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
+1 more
greenline says

I am also wondering why we cannot rate buyers. Buyers should be rated too Not only the authors.

1402 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
WebSmacker says

I am also wondering why we cannot rate buyers. Buyers should be rated too Not only the authors.

I like how ebay allows you to leave feedback for both sellers and buyers.

by
by
by
by
by
by